Best of the BASICs???
Author Message
 Best of the BASICs???

Hi,
   Anyone care to give me the take on the best BASIC for designing Windows
based applications....What are the pros and cons of the packages out there
powerbasic, Visual Basic, QuickBasic, etc...

Thanks in advance.

rick
-----

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best of the BASICs???
: Hi,
:    Anyone care to give me the take on the best BASIC for designing Windows
: based applications....What are the pros and cons of the packages out there
: PowerBasic, Visual Basic, QuickBasic, etc...

Well, for Windows you have 4 (as far as I know), choices:

 1) Visual BASIC  - Microsoft's crowning glory.  Price $200 ($150 if you
look hard).  Good tool from a company you know will be around to support you.
A DOS version is available.

 2) Realizer - From Computer Associates.  Price $79 ($69?).  Not as
visual as Visual BASIC, and doesn't feel like BASIC anyways.  OS/2
version comes in the box with the Windows version.

 3) Liberty BASIC, shareware.  From Shoptalk Systems.  Registration fee
$35.  Good end-user programming tool.  Comes with a visual forms tool.
OS/2 version available.  A finalist in this year's Ziff Davis shareware
awards. (I'm biased <g>)  Most recent version always available at
The MetroWest Free BBS, 508-626-2158

 4) BASIC BASIC, shareware.  From Mark Davidsaver.  Registration fee
$30.  DOS/Windows cross compiler.  Produces real *.exe files.

For more BASIC stuff, check out the BASIC Archives Home Page at:

  http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~bergmann/basic.html

Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best of the BASICs???

Quote:

> Hi,
>    Anyone care to give me the take on the best BASIC for designing Windows
> based applications....What are the pros and cons of the packages out there
> PowerBasic, Visual Basic, QuickBasic, etc...

> Thanks in advance.

> rick
> -----

Rick,
Your choices are really limited.  For Windows, QuickBASIc is not
an option (I don't know about powerbasic's products)  Get Visual Basic,
it's easy and fast(to create apps, not to speed of them.)  It dosen't
create true exes though, there p-code interperted through VBRUNXXX.DLL.

If you want any more info, let me know.

Ryan Pape

--

ALAMO Internet  --  +1 (210) 561-9815/21  --  San Antonio, Texas

Fri, 05 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best of the BASICs???
Quote:
> 1) Visual BASIC  - Microsoft's crowning glory.  Price $200 ($150 if you
>look hard).  Good tool from a company you know will be around to support you.
>A DOS version is available.

   ^^^^^^^^^^^
Microsoft no longer supports DOS based basic, although you can still find
them occasionally.

Sat, 06 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Good site/book for TCP/IP basics?

2. A good, better, best idea

3. Access basics

4. VBA Basics

5. ComboBox basics

6. How to stop Visual BAsics so my macros run

7. Object Browser Basics

8. Need to learn basics of VBA for Outlook

9. Basics -- building blocks.

10. visual basics

11. Basics of Find/Replace

12. Gung ho newbie - stuck at # 3 on the MVP - VBA basics in 15 minutes