indexes in dBase 3 files?
Author Message
 indexes in dBase 3 files?

Thanks to those who answered my question about the disappearing data
control!  (particularly, the guy who suggested a look in VB.INI; that
was exactly what was wrong.  How I did that, I've no idea..  and of
course I left your name at home, but you know who you are<g>)

Another related question.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to
specify an index when attaching to a dBase III file.  I've created the
.INF file with the index filenames in it, and it is in the same
directory with the .DBF.  I've tried

Data1.Database.TableDefs("tvstatio").Indexes(0).Name="NDX1"
Data1.Database.TableDefs("tvstatio").Indexes(0).Name="tvstati1"

(the .DBF file is tvstatio.dbf, and the .NDX is tvstati1.ndx.  Yes, I
do have a data control on my form.)

I've tried a few other syntaxes too, but everything I try returns an
"Object Variable Not Set" error.  The help files, EXTERNAL.TXT,
printed manual, and WWW FAQ aren't much help.  Any ideas?

Doug S.

Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 indexes in dBase 3 files?

Quote:

>Data1.Database.TableDefs("tvstatio").Indexes(0).Name="NDX1"
>Data1.Database.TableDefs("tvstatio").Indexes(0).Name="tvstati1"

>(the .DBF file is tvstatio.dbf, and the .NDX is tvstati1.ndx.  Yes, I
>do have a data control on my form.)

>I've tried a few other syntaxes too, but everything I try returns an
>"Object Variable Not Set" error.  The help files, EXTERNAL.TXT,
>printed manual, and WWW FAQ aren't much help.  Any ideas?

Unless you have a 3rd party data control that uses dbase .ndx files, I
don't think you can use the original dbase index from VB.  If I'm
wrong, someone will juml in immediately to set it straight ;-)
John C

Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. I need to index dbase files in vb4 pro

2. Indexing a DBASE file

3. dBASE Index files .MDX usage in VB

4. dBASE III/IV & FoxPro Index files

5. Use index with dBase files

6. Crystal Reports, dBase Files and Indexes

7. Using dBase files with MDX-indexes in Crystal reports

8. using DBASE-files with MDX-indexes in Crystal reports

9. Dbase index files

10. Index on Dbase file

11. dBase .NTX index files

12. Prob accessing DBASE file with indexes