What does the anti-virus programs do?
Author Message
 What does the anti-virus programs do?

Hi everyone:

            I am trying tofind the information about what is anti-virus
programs?

Denis.

Wed, 03 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What does the anti-virus programs do?

Quote:
>Hi everyone:

>            I am trying tofind the information about what is anti-virus
>programs?

Look at keyword: VIRUS

In a nutshell, an anti-virus program can:

 1. Scan a newly-acquired file for certain byte strings that it has in a file
 of virus "signatures".
 2. Analyze the code of a program, looking for suspicious activity, such as
 writing to a disk boot sector or to areas of memory usually reserved for the
 operating system.
 3. Scan memory for virus signatures or questionable code.

A good anti-virus package will have routines for (at least) all of the above.
 Part of the package will be a transient program that you run on each new file,
 and part will be a TSR that checks programs as they are loaded.  At least one
 package, Norton Anti-Virus, loads its resident part as a device driver.  This
 makes it somewhat more difficult for a smart virus to delete or bypass it.

Remember, a virus (or a trojan horse, or a bomb) can't do its thing
 unless it is _executed_.  You could download the most virulent of programs,
 and even read it with an editor (one that does *not* automatically execute
 macros in the text) and not get bitten.

The caveat here is that Windoze 95 hides the extensions of filenames unless you
 beg it not to.  So if you download WHOOPEE.JPG, you might notice that it's
 really WHOOPEE.EXE until clickyclick...BOOM!  If you don't know what kind of
 file it is, don't try to open it until you do.

Thu, 04 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What does the anti-virus programs do?

Anti-viru programs are programs that software manufacturers make to
find virus programs on your computer. You do  not need one. I have
been using computers  for a little under 8 years, and I have NEVER
encounters a virus.  Oh sure, you an download them from "Virus
Warehouses", but they are virtually non-existant.And believe me, I
download a LOT ofthings, and do other virus-prone things.

Damiian Harouff

Quote:
>Hi everyone:

>            I am trying tofind the information about what is anti-virus
>programs?

>Denis.

Thu, 04 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. scan for virus programmatically in Outlook VBA using any anti virus software

3. Programming Outlook Express 5 - Can it be Done!

4. Trigonometrical Program done in QuickBASIC

5. Is ANYONE else doing batch VB programming?

6. CGI programs in VB3 - can this be done?

7. Is ANYONE else doing batch VB programming?

8. Menus: How do I allow my program to continue doing stuff while a menu is selected

9. what professional programs were done with VB?

10. Making sure VB program leaves memory when done.

11. RADIUS database programming - looking for information on doing it in VB5

12. Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program