OVERFLOW... can anybody solve this one ?
Author Message
 OVERFLOW... can anybody solve this one ?

Hi Y'all

Anybody came across this problem in QB 4.5

The procedure snippet below is involved in backing up a small
data file to A:\

It'a little address book with fixed length record structure
dimensioned as a TYPE/END TYPE record variable.

I've developed it QuickBasic 4.5 on a Pentium 75mhz and tested it
backing up and restoring to/from 1.4M and 1.2M and 360k disks.

NO PROBLEMS waht-so-ever!

I've installed the application on a Pentium 166mhz with 32M RAM
(yeah - I know, it's like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut)

However - here is the problem:

The procedure OPENs a New data file on drive A:\ as A:\Customer.BAK
It then (after some additional checks and an option to abort
or continue) proceeds to execute the FOR/NEXT loop below.

        FOR i% = 1 TO NumOfRecords%
        GET CustomerFileNum%,i%,Customer
                PUT BackUpFile%,i%,Customer
                LOCATE 18,10,0
                PRINT "Backing up record "; i% " of "; NumOfRecords%; "
to "; BackUpFile$
        Next i%
        CLOSE BackUpFile%

Immediately this loop is executed, processing halts with the error
message:

OVERFLOW in Line number............. etc.

At this point the variables are as follows:

i% = 1
NumOfRecords% = 43
CustomerFileNum% = 1
BackUpFile% = 2
BackUpFile$ = A:\CUSTOMER.BAK
length of data file = just over 43k
'---------------------------------------------------

I have tested it on a 8088, a 80486, a 80486, a 80586 without any
problem.
As i have said, the offending machine is a 80586 - 166mhz

I've discussed it with a few others and we suspect that it may be caused
by the speed of the machine.  Is it possible that the processor is
pushing it out
faster than the 1.4M A: drive can handle. (don't know why it should
cause OVERFLOW error)
but we can't think of anything else.

Regards
Neil

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 OVERFLOW... can anybody solve this one ?

Quote:

>Hi Y'all
>Anybody came across this problem in QB 4.5
>The procedure snippet below is involved in backing up a small
>data file to A:\
>It'a little address book with fixed length record structure
>dimensioned as a TYPE/END TYPE record variable.
>I've developed it QuickBasic 4.5 on a Pentium 75mhz and tested it
>backing up and restoring to/from 1.4M and 1.2M and 360k disks.
>NO PROBLEMS waht-so-ever!
>I've installed the application on a Pentium 166mhz with 32M RAM
>(yeah - I know, it's like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut)
>However - here is the problem:
>The procedure OPENs a New data file on drive A:\ as A:\Customer.BAK
>It then (after some additional checks and an option to abort
>or continue) proceeds to execute the FOR/NEXT loop below.
>    FOR i% = 1 TO NumOfRecords%
>    GET CustomerFileNum%,i%,Customer
>            PUT BackUpFile%,i%,Customer
>            LOCATE 18,10,0
>            PRINT "Backing up record "; i% " of "; NumOfRecords%; "
>to "; BackUpFile$
>    Next i%
>    CLOSE BackUpFile%
>Immediately this loop is executed, processing halts with the error
>message:
>OVERFLOW in Line number............. etc.
>At this point the variables are as follows:
>i% = 1
>NumOfRecords% = 43
>CustomerFileNum% = 1
>BackUpFile% = 2
>BackUpFile$ = A:\CUSTOMER.BAK
>length of data file = just over 43k
>'---------------------------------------------------
>I have tested it on a 8088, a 80486, a 80486, a 80586 without any
>problem.
>As i have said, the offending machine is a 80586 - 166mhz
>I've discussed it with a few others and we suspect that it may be caused
>by the speed of the machine.  Is it possible that the processor is
>pushing it out
>faster than the 1.4M A: drive can handle. (don't know why it should
>cause OVERFLOW error)
>but we can't think of anything else.

>Regards
>Neil

It seems that QBasic 4.5 dosen't recognize some commands from earlier
Qbasic programs.  I had trouble with the CALL Absolute command.
This program looks like it might work in an earlier version of QBasic.
I'm not sure.  I'm not exactly a QBasic wiz.

Later.

Guy

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. need help solving strange OVERFLOW error

2. How to solve system overflow ?

3. How to solve system overflow ?

4. Can anybody solve a problem?

5. Can you solve this? No one else can

6. No one solved this.

7. One to solve GetPixel

8. Prizes for solving this one!

9. Who is gonna solve this one?

10. Who is gonna solve this one?

11. Is there no one who can solve this?

12. Can anybody straighten me out on accessing one form's controls from another form