Why is Screen 13 so Popular?
Author Message
 Why is Screen 13 so Popular?

I'm fairly new to programming and I've noticed that a lot of people use
Screen 13 and a lot of people tell ME to use it.

I would like to know what features SCREEN 13 has that makes it stand out
please.
Thanks in advance.

Tue, 02 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why is Screen 13 so Popular?

Quote:

>> I'm fairly new to programming and I've noticed that a lot of people use
>> Screen 13 and a lot of people tell ME to use it.

>> I would like to know what features SCREEN 13 has that makes it stand out
>> please.
>256 colours

- It's the only build-in screenmode that supports 256 colors without using
        external libraries
- It's the fastest of all 256 screenmodes
- 320 x 200 x 8 = 64.000, which is exactly one page of videomemory. If you
        have a higher screenmode, you need to switch banks all the time,
        making things much more complex.
        (Only one page of 64KB videomemory can be accessed at any time)
- You can POKE pixels directly into memory, it doesn't used different pages
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
--

Wed, 03 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why is Screen 13 so Popular?

I'm fairly new to programming and I've noticed that a lot of people use
Screen 13 and a lot of people tell ME to use it.

I would like to know what features SCREEN 13 has that makes it stand out
please.
Thanks in advance.

Actually it is very unpopular among basic programmer. Many programmer want
advance mode with resolution at least 640x256 and colour 256 and above.
Unfortunately this cannot be done using qbasic easily. Screen 13 is a nice
mode for beginner.

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why is Screen 13 so Popular?
- 256 colors
- easy palette changing
- pixel position can be calculated with an easy algorithm (320*y)+x
- Every screen uses exactly one page of video memory
- standard VGA
Quote:

> I'm fairly new to programming and I've noticed that a lot of people use
> Screen 13 and a lot of people tell ME to use it.

> I would like to know what features SCREEN 13 has that makes it stand out
> please.
> Thanks in advance.

Tue, 09 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. QBasic: putting total screen on disk when SCREEN-mode=13

2. Getting Error 13, help - don't understand why

3. No Screen 13 in PBasic?

4. Flicker-Free Animation in Screen 13 without messing up the Background

5. Screen 13

6. Turning a block in SCREEN 13.

7. Address for Screen 11,12,13?

8. SCREEN 13 for PowerBASIC 3.xx

9. SCREEN 13 for PowerBASIC 3.xx

10. Need help: colors on SCREEN 13

11. Border in SCREEN 13

12. QBasic, other resolutions than SCREENs 0 thru 13