QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1
Author Message
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1

Hi

When I access QB4.5 on an older machine with Win3.1, a window
remains open and needs to be closed with the mouse.  Looks to me
like it is the Output Screen.  Any suggestions how to have this
screen close automatically?

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9313
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L02A

CANADA                                   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~clark

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1
It's the DOS window that holds it. I think there's a PIF option to get rid
of it automatically

--
"640K of Ram is all anyone could ever need" - Bill Gates

ICQ: 24444579

Quote:

>Hi

>When I access QB4.5 on an older machine with Win3.1, a window
>remains open and needs to be closed with the mouse.  Looks to me
>like it is the Output Screen.  Any suggestions how to have this
>screen close automatically?

>Best wishes
>Jim

=
>James M. Clark (204) 786-9313
>Department of Psychology (204) 774-4134 Fax
>University of Winnipeg 4L02A

>CANADA http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark
=

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1

   >I still use Novell DOS 7, which is more or less an upgraded clone
   >of MS-DOS 5. It has  XDIR, XDEL and multitasking support, but one
   >goodie it doesn't have is the CHOICE  command, which would have
   >simplified multi-boot operation considerably.

In case you didn't know, Caldera bought Novell DOS, called it OpenDOS for a
while and then renamed it back to DR-DOS.  You can download the latest version
from www.calderathin.com.  It has CHOICE, the multitasking is improved, and
in config.sys the SWITCH command works like CHOICE with slightly different
syntax.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1

Quote:

>>>When I access QB4.5 on an older machine with Win3.1, a window
>>>remains open and needs to be closed with the mouse.  Looks to me
>>>like it is the Output Screen.  Any suggestions how to have this
>>>screen close automatically?

>There's an option in the pif file to close window on exit.

And note that the setting of "automatic close" is not irrelivant.
It is usefull for running DOS commands that dump some information,
then complete. Otherwise you would get a quick listing and the
window would close before you could read it !

                           [sam]

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1

Quote:
>When I access QB4.5 on an older machine with Win3.1, a window
>remains open and needs to be closed with the mouse.  Looks to me
>like it is the Output Screen.  Any suggestions how to have this
>screen close automatically?

I haven't seen this bug, so it may be peculiar to your operating environment.
Of course, I close all QB windows but the Edit screen before leaving
QuickBasic.

I usually use a batch file named RIG.BAT to kick Windoze out of the way and
reboot the system in true DOS mode.  The batch file first renames AUTOEXEC.BAT
and CONFIG.SYS to save them, then renames another pair of files that define a
configuration optimized for running QuickBasic to AUTOEXEC and CONFIG, then
reboots the system.  It took a while to polish that batch file, but now RIG QB
at the DOS command line starts the QuickBasic IDE in the environment it was
designed for.
I have several of these stored configurations, from minimum DOS to Windows with
all the bells and whistles enabled.  Each configuration includes only those
environment variables, PATH entries and DEVICE statements that it can't run
without.  DOOM.SYS, for example, is almost empty because DOOM doesn't like to
share the hardware with anything but the mouse driver.

I still use Novell DOS 7, which is more or less an upgraded clone of MS-DOS 5.
It has  XDIR, XDEL and multitasking support, but one goodie it doesn't have is
the CHOICE  command, which would have simplified multi-boot operation
considerably.

If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Screen Left Open in Win 3.1

Quote:
>>When I access QB4.5 on an older machine with Win3.1, a window
>>remains open and needs to be closed with the mouse.  Looks to me
>>like it is the Output Screen.  Any suggestions how to have this
>>screen close automatically?

There's an option in the pif file to close window on exit.

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Screen Saver in Win 3.1

2. Err 424 on Open Database (Win 3.1 only)

3. Problem: Win 3.1 crashes with PB 3.1 programs

4. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

5. VB3 program OK in WIn 3.1 but not in WIN 95

6. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

7. Win 3.1, Win 95, VB3 and Setup !!!

8. Sound differences between Win 3.1 and Win 95

9. Creating a Program Item in Win 3.1 and Win NT

10. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

11. Fax from Access 2.0 - OS is Win 3.1

12. Application Error - DAO2016.DLL at 0033:06BC --- Access 2.0 in WIN 3.1