academic basic( few ideas)
Author Message
 academic basic( few ideas)

Hello basic programmers,

I have a few ideas for the compiler I am writing( from time to time in
my spare time). I like opinions about the following:

1) Pointers( as a separate type that is) should not be supported in
basic because basics greatest strength is easiness. Exceptions
below:

2) I like to add "virtual functions" which would make both
polymorphism, inheretance and function overloading possible.
That would require defining functions in a prototype like in Pascal.
Would that hurt basics easiness badly ??

3) After a lot of thought I think I am going to copy most of fortrans
argument passing. That is I would like to pass arguments by reference
default. That would not leave room for expressions or literals, but I
can fix that with the use of a keyword like VALUE( which would denote
passing by value).

4) I need some ideas for the register allocation optimizer( if that is
the name), since that might be one of the most crucial parts of a good
compiler.

Rick

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 academic basic( few ideas)

I have had a few reactions, but not much of you guys seems
capable of maintaining something much longer then say a few blow
jobs. As an example of getting "content"(only the word!) on
the internet, I will try to keep this thread alive for a while.
Topics will be concerned a qbasic compiler, and internals of
the QBASIC intrepreter. I'll try to maintain this one, answering
where I can, and putting in some interesting topics now and again.
Lets prove basic programmers can be proffesionals instead of
a high school boys looking for hits..

2: Should the basic statement MID$ with parameters
(string1,start%,length%)=string2 not be a real concatenator ??
The meaning is that although the online help suggest otherwise,
you can not do something like :
a$="make it"
b$="compilers like PB/QB"
(a$,6,8)=b$

That is to say basic limits the stringlenght here to len(string1!).
Its easy to see that this simplifies highly the implementation of
mid$(I have asm code for that if someone is interested), but
for appending compiler after make  you have to do something like

a$=left$(a$,5)+left$(b$,8)

So how about the difference? Should a new basic got the new MID$??
consider1) the language implementations(mid$ versus 2*left$)
        2) the compiled code(2*left$ updates the two stringdescriptors,
        then allocate a new space for a$ big enough, then copies
        both a$ and b$ to a$

3. Should a basic heap manager work with pointers or with names ??
    I am currently testing a stdlib based heapmanager for qbasic
   which  I can allow to pass say 10 names of 10 characters each,
   or I can allow to pass pointers( like in c++ new/delete, but to the

   stringdescriptor in this case). Which would be more basic ??
   Needless to say passing pointers is not much better optimizing then

   passing actual names(need symbol in both ways). Also I like
   opinions about what stringfunctions people like to get implemented
   for the heapstrings( I got already mid$,instr,left/right$
   ltrim/rtrim, sortstringarray, printheapstring, getheapstring)

Take care,
Rick

Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:00:00 GMT
 academic basic( few ideas)

|> I have had a few reactions, but not much of you guys seems
|> capable of maintaining something much longer then say a few blow
|> jobs. As an example of getting "content"(only the word!) on
|> the internet, I will try to keep this thread alive for a while.

Could the reason you receive so few constructive comments
be that you can't seem to go two minutes without abusing
the people you want advice from?

Nah! It couldn't be that! It must be that we're all a bunch
of ignorant {*filter*}ers with our hands in our pants and our
minds set on low idle. In which case, you'd be more than
justified in never coming back here again. It would serve
us right.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"

Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 academic basic( few ideas)

Am 26.10.97 bemerkte Rick folgendes
zum Thema "Re: academic basic( few ideas)"
im Brett "/COMP/LANG/BASIC/MISC".

Gruess Dich Rick !

R>2: Should the basic statement MID$ with parameters
R>(string1,start%,length%)=string2 not be a real concatenator ??
R>The meaning is that although the online help suggest
R>otherwise, you can not do something like :
R>a$="make it"
R>b$="compilers like PB/QB"
R>(a$,6,8)=b$

It's right, but you can do follow:
lenght%=8
mid$(a$,6,lenght%)=left$(b$,lenght%)

SCNR ;-)

bye'chien ... man schlumpft sich ...

IF EOF(here) THEN DO : nischt wie wech hia : LOOP

Point der Admiral-BBS Potsdam, 49-331-812237 (V34) 49-331-812236 (ISDN)

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Academic Version of Visual Basic Professional Edition?

2. Limitations to academic versions of Visual Basic 6.0?

3. Wanted: Visual Basic 4 to purchase by Academic.

4. Visual Basic Academic Version

5. Visual Basic Academic

6. Earn few houndred bucks in few hours

7. A few BBC Basic to VB5 translation questions

8. A BASIC COMPILER IDEA

9. A Basic Compiler Idea

10. A Basic Compiler Idea

11. idea for basic extension