GWbasic or which basic for newby
Author Message
 GWbasic or which basic for newby

I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

Firstly I have no reference guide and could not find one on the net, but
thought if I am going to learn something new then I would ask opinions first
on which would best suit my needs.

All opinions and advice welcome.

Jackson

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:01:35 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby

Quote:
>Firstly I have no reference guide and could not find one on the net, but
>thought if I am going to learn something new then I would ask opinions first
>on which would best suit my needs.

I have the same concern.  I recently lost some reference website information
that someone sent through this very newsgroup.  One method is to use an old
BASIC programming instructional textbook which should rigorously discuss common
commands and procedures used in BASIC's.  Whatever you could find in them
should  be highly compatible with gwbasic.  Also, Qbasic is supposed to be an
later version of gwbasic.

G C

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:42:30 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby

Quote:

> I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
> and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
> to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

> Firstly I have no reference guide and could not find one on the net, but
> thought if I am going to learn something new then I would ask opinions first
> on which would best suit my needs.

> All opinions and advice welcome.

> Jackson

GWbasic is very long in the tooth, though it may *look* similar to BBC basic.

There is a version of BBC basic for the PC

Also check Qbasic (old but reasonable, and no line numbers!)
Liberty Basic is another highly rated one.

Check through here too:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:34:16 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby
Suggest examine

http://www.freebyte.com

and look for free compilers

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:27:04 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby

Quote:

> I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
> and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
> to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

> Firstly I have no reference guide and could not find one on the net, but
> thought if I am going to learn something new then I would ask opinions first
> on which would best suit my needs.

> All opinions and advice welcome.

Hey Jackson,

You might consider Liberty BASIC.  It should be easy to move from
GWBASIC to Liberty BASIC, and it will allow you to create Windows
programs.  It comes with a ton of example programs, and there's a very
large online community where you can find out how to do all kinds of
things.  The free trial can be downloaded on our site at
http://www.libertybasic.com

Our web community forums are located here:

  http://libertybasic.conforums.com

and...

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:35:48 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby
Sometime during 25 Mar 2003 14:35:48 -0800 Anno Domini. In article

about managed to type out using one finger, the following spiel into
comp.programming

Quote:

> > I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
> > and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
> > to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

> > Firstly I have no reference guide and could not find one on the net, but
> > thought if I am going to learn something new then I would ask opinions first
> > on which would best suit my needs.

> > All opinions and advice welcome.

> Hey Jackson,

> You might consider Liberty BASIC.  It should be easy to move from
> GWBASIC to Liberty BASIC, and it will allow you to create Windows
> programs.  It comes with a ton of example programs, and there's a very
> large online community where you can find out how to do all kinds of
> things.  The free trial can be downloaded on our site at
> http://www.libertybasic.com

> Our web community forums are located here:

>   http://libertybasic.conforums.com

> and...

> -Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC

]
You can also get BBC Basic for Windows. As the original poster is
familiar with BBC Basic.

I've never actually tried Liberty Basic, I grew up with BBC Basic and
I've tended to stick with it.

BBC Basic is not a *true* compiler, but the *registered* version can
make stand alone EXEs, and it is quite fast, and compact. It also has
support for the Windows API.

www.bbcbasic.com
www.rtrussell.co.uk

--
Mike Turner
G0MEM

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:45:56 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby

: I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
: and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
: to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

If you have a "background" of BBC BASIC (even if it's mostly
forgotten) might I suggest you try 'BBC BASIC for Windows':

 http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/products/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:17:52 GMT
 GWbasic or which basic for newby
Sometime during Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:17:52 +0000 (UTC) Anno Domini.

the following spiel into comp.programming

Quote:

> : I know this is a broad question, but I come from a background of Spectrum
> : and BBC basic (probably almost all forgotten) a very occasional user. I need
> : to write something for a one off use and was toying with GWbasic.

> If you have a "background" of BBC BASIC (even if it's mostly
> forgotten) might I suggest you try 'BBC BASIC for Windows':

>  http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/products/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

I wonder if there is going to be a version of Sinclair Spectrum Basic
for Windows. ;-)

--
Mike Turner
G0MEM

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:04:08 GMT

1. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [2/2]

2. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [1/2]

3. Gwbasic causes CAN NOT SHELL TO BASIC error

4. I Need GWBasic or MS-Basic

5. Help Converting Gwbasic source to Visual Basic.

6. Newby VBA and RunSQL

7. Newby help

8. Newby Question - Is there a site where i can download examples of VBA for MSP

9. Shape Events (newby)

10. newby wants to remove macros from finished document

11. Newby: How to take info from a form and enter into Excel 2000

12. Help Newby with VB