Serious bug in QB45
Author Message
 Serious bug in QB45

There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought
I'd pass on a warning before it causes more grief.

The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.

From that point onward, your source code is toast.
If you don't have a backup copy somewhere, you are
up the creek without a paddle, because the corrupted
bytes are embedded in thousands of bytes of tokenized
gobbledegook. You can't find them or edit them, or
restore just the uncorrupted portion of the source.
The whole source file is a worthless heap of bytes.

The work-around is simple enough. Every time you start
a new .BAS file, use the File - Save As option to specify
an ASCII save, instead of the default "quick load". From
then on, QB45 will save the file in ASCII every
time you edit it. You only need to do it once per file.
Then you are safe.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

Quote:

> There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
> c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought

Thanks for your concern, but that's an old one.  And to make
things worse, Microsoft didn't get around to fixing that bug
until Visual Basic 4.0. (VB inherited a lot of it's guts from QB).

Even with VB 5.0 though, I still save all my modules in text format.
Why risk it?

John Morrison

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

Quote:

> There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
> c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought
> I'd pass on a warning before it causes more grief.

> The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
> QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
> corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.

> From that point onward, your source code is toast.
> If you don't have a backup copy somewhere, you are
> up the creek without a paddle, because the corrupted
> bytes are embedded in thousands of bytes of tokenized
> gobbledegook. You can't find them or edit them, or
> restore just the uncorrupted portion of the source.
> The whole source file is a worthless heap of bytes.

> The work-around is simple enough. Every time you start
> a new .BAS file, use the File - Save As option to specify
> an ASCII save, instead of the default "quick load". From
> then on, QB45 will save the file in ASCII every
> time you edit it. You only need to do it once per file.
> Then you are safe.

I noticed this once in a while also, some time ago, and switched over to
ASCII saves since - it has been a long time since I encountered this
problem (about 4 years), so I am glad you brought it up. I enjoy ASCII
more anyhow, since I can use any editor I want to work on the code, and
I can share the code with PB and Turbo C (when I do the occasional "C"
conversion!)...

Thanks again!

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

Quote:
>There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
>c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought
>I'd pass on a warning before it causes more grief.

>The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
>QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
>corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.

I had the same problem about a year ago. I saved a program, exited and
everytime I tried to load it again my computer hook up. But I wouldn't
consider this being a bug in QuickBasic 4.5. I use it for about four
years very intense and it occured just once. The problem must lay in
your cache. You propably use SmartDrive with the /X option, which is
often the origin for many errors.

Quote:
>From that point onward, your source code is toast.
>If you don't have a backup copy somewhere, you are
>up the creek without a paddle, because the corrupted

You should _always_ do backups of your programs. I backup my BAS files
every week. It is really worth the effort. If you lose an hours work
or even more, you know how good a nackup is. I'm speaking of my own
experiences ;-(

--
Moritz Mhlenhoff, Osnabrck, Germany
Get Simpsons Episoden Manager at:

Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

Quote:

> There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
> c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought
> I'd pass on a warning before it causes more grief.
> The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
> QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
> corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.
> From that point onward, your source code is toast.
> If you don't have a backup copy somewhere, you are
> up the creek without a paddle, because the corrupted
> bytes are embedded in thousands of bytes of tokenized
> gobbledegook. You can't find them or edit them, or
> restore just the uncorrupted portion of the source.
> The whole source file is a worthless heap of bytes.
> The work-around is simple enough. Every time you start
> a new .BAS file, use the File - Save As option to specify
> an ASCII save, instead of the default "quick load". From
> then on, QB45 will save the file in ASCII every
> time you edit it. You only need to do it once per file.
> Then you are safe.
> --
> Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
> Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"
> Beaverton, OR, USA                  | ---- Standard disclaimer applies ----

   I have NEVER had that prob. Maybe you should try Scandisk or Norton
Disk Doctor.

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

Quote:
> > The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
> > QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
> > corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.
>    I have NEVER had that prob. Maybe you should try Scandisk or Norton
> Disk Doctor.

I believe the problem is still around ..thru PDS,VBDOS, and now VBWIN -
they ALL default to saving in a Binary Format, but you'll see in all the
FAQS
about saving as Text .. ESPECIALLY in VBWIN!

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

|> > There is a very serious bug in QB45, and most readers of
|> > c.l.b.m. probably haven't heard about it. I thought
|>
|> Thanks for your concern, but that's an old one.

Naturally. All the bugs in QB45 are old. But a very
significant proportion of present-day QB45 users are
newbies, and these "old" bugs are new to them. I hadn't
seen this one mentioned for over a year in c.l.b.m.
and I thought it worthwhile to repeat a warning I first
heard in 1990. Old bugs hurt just as badly as new ones.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"
Beaverton, OR, USA                  | ---- Standard disclaimer applies ----

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

|> >The bug is related to the "quick load" format in which
|> >QB45 saves your spource code by default. QB45 will sometimes
|> >corrupt your file as it writes it in "quick load" format.
|>
|> I had the same problem about a year ago. I saved a program, exited and
|> everytime I tried to load it again my computer hook up. But I wouldn't
|> consider this being a bug in QuickBasic 4.5. I use it for about four
|> years very intense and it occured just once. The problem must lay in
|> your cache. You propably use SmartDrive with the /X option, which is
|> often the origin for many errors.

If this were a new bug report, yours would be very sound advice.

Judging from yours and other reponses, I didn't make it plain that
this bug is quite old. It existed before SmartDrive existed.
It has been verified by thousands of QB45 users since QB45 was
released. I experienced it in 1990, and have never used "quick load"
format since then.

My point in reporting it, was so that (perhaps) it will be verified
by fewer users in the future. Many of the readers of c.l.b.m. are
high school students who were learning their ABCs when this bug
was first reported among QB45 programmers. They are also less likely
to make the daily or weekly backups that you so prudently recommended.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"
Beaverton, OR, USA                  | ---- Standard disclaimer applies ----

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Serious bug in QB45

<snip>

Quote:
>Judging from yours and other reponses, I didn't make it plain that
>this bug is quite old. It existed before SmartDrive existed.

Well, you made it plain enough to me Brian :)

Quote:
>It has been verified by thousands of QB45 users since QB45 was
>released. I experienced it in 1990, and have never used "quick load"
>format since then.

I wonder why they've held on to this option for so long ?

Here's another highly entertaining bug -

Quote:
>============ cut here

'Shows how ASCii character code 26 EOF screws up the compiler

GOTO SkipData

'next Data statement is ASCii character code 26 within the quotes
DATA " "

SkipData:
END

Quote:
>============ cut here

This runs from within the IDE but will not compile even with the
Debug option turned on.
If you stick it at the beginning of the main module but after any
labels and the module has several Subs/Function then it'll give
loads of Unresolved errors.

This particular nightmare resulted from a typo error in 15000 lines
of code.

TTfn,

Craig___

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. serious bug: when controls fire MouseDown, MouseUp events in wrong order

2. Serious Close Issues (Bug?)

3. SERIOUS!! BUG: Late-Bound Invocation for Derived Classes

4. Serious bug

5. Serious bug from Olivier L├ętang

6. SERIOUS BUG IN MSVBVM60 (SP5)

7. Serious bug