New PB31 user needs help 
Author Message
 New PB31 user needs help

I have just received my copy of PB31 & it looks great, I can't wait
to try it out.

I am trying to "Get of the ground" by making a sub procedure work
as a PBU.

I have written it as I would have in PDS :-
defint A-Z
Test$="First String"
print Test$
call changeit(Test$)
print Test$
end

Sub changeit(Test$)
Test$="Second String"
end sub

I tried putting the sub in BAS code and included it and, of course, it
works fine.

That works OK in PB31 but then I deleted the main program and compiled
the procedure as a pdu with a sub declaration at the top.

I then used the main code and $LINK'ed the PBU

This is where I stop !  I have tried making the variable public etc
but I am doing something very wrong - Anybody Know what ??

Does anybody know if there is a direct conversion for the PDS type

Btrieve has to read it.

I use Btrieve in my PDS stuff.  In PB31 they have included a way to
use Btrieve which is a little different to what I know.

How does one use the FIELD statement in the way that they describe ?

I also have a sample file for a shareware product but I would prefer
to use what PB has sent me if only I can work it out.

I have not yet managed to open one of my Btrieve files but when I do
how to I search for a Type LONG - I used to say keybuf$=mkl$(etc
Do I still do something like this ??

Sorry for all the Techo stuff - Any answers would be welcome

Phil



Wed, 27 Aug 1997 06:00:43 GMT  
 New PB31 user needs help

Quote:
>I have just received my copy of PB31 & it looks great, I can't wait
>to try it out.

>I have written it as I would have in PDS :-

  FILE  TEST.BAS

     declare sub changeit(test$)   'DECLARE the sub program
     $link "test2.pbu"             'And link in the PBU too
     defint A-Z
     Test$="First String"
     print Test$
     call changeit(Test$)
     print Test$
     end

  FILE   TEST2.BAS   COMPILE TO TEST2.PBU        
     Sub changeit(Test$) public   'NOTE the public word
     Test$="Second String"
     end sub

Quote:
>Does anybody know if there is a direct conversion for the PDS type

>Btrieve has to read it.

        I believe that the currency type is just an 8 byte
        integer.  Use powerbasic to treat it as such and
        divide the result by 10000 to allow for the 4 decimal
        spots.  No guarantees here - but ......

Quote:
>I use Btrieve in my PDS stuff.  In PB31 they have included a way to
>use Btrieve which is a little different to what I know.
>How does one use the FIELD statement in the way that they describe ?

        Great to have another Btrieve user around.  I don't
        understand your question as the examples I've seen
        with Powerbasic use the TYPEs instead of fields, but
        I have had lots of experience with FIELDS and Btrieve
        in PDS 7.1    Want to reword you question?

Quote:
>I have not yet managed to open one of my Btrieve files but when I do
>how to I search for a Type LONG - I used to say keybuf$=mkl$(etc
>Do I still do something like this ??

        YES

        Dennis Jacobsen
        Penticton, B.C., Canada



Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:14:11 GMT  
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. I need help with a datediff problem ( a fairly new user who needs help)

2. Help needed by new user

3. New User - Need Help

4. New user needs help with attached tables

5. New VB User Needs Help

6. new user needs help

7. Help needed by vbdb new user

8. New User Needs Help

9. New Visual Dbase User Needs Help

10. HELP NEEDED: CREATING NEW USER

11. New VB user needs a little help

12. New User VB5 - Need help with datagrid / Graphing

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software