dBase III for Basic
Author Message
 dBase III for Basic

Does anyone know of a library that would allow me to access dbase
files and indexes with either MS-Basic PDS 7.1 or Visual Basic for
DOS.

The main problems are that it must not use a TSR to access files and
it must use dbase indexes.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Steve.

Sun, 25 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 dBase III for Basic

Quote:

> Does anyone know of a library that would allow me to access dbase
> files and indexes with either MS-Basic PDS 7.1 or Visual Basic for
> DOS.

> The main problems are that it must not use a TSR to access files and
> it must use dbase indexes.

I did some investigating for you and there are no libraries for Basic (any DOS Basic)
which allow you to access dBase indexes without a TSR.  In fact, I only found two
linkable libraries for any language.  One is for C/C++ and the other is for Pascal.
All other products were either TSR's (for DOS) or DLLs (for Windows).

--Dave

--
powerbasic, Inc.      | (800) 780-7707 Orders | http://www.powerbasic.com

Carmel, CA  93923     | (408) 659-8008 Fax    | (408) 659-7401 BBS

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 dBase III for Basic

Quote:

> Does anyone know of a library that would allow me to access dbase
> files and indexes with either MS-Basic PDS 7.1 or Visual Basic for
> DOS.
> The main problems are that it must not use a TSR to access files and
> it must use dbase indexes.

 Well Steve, I didn't find any Lib's for QB, but I did find the format docs.
 ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/formats/dbasefil.inf

 Maybe you can write your own code for it if you can't find a LIB.

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 dBase III for Basic

Quote:

> Does anyone know of a library that would allow me to access dbase
> files and indexes with either MS-Basic PDS 7.1 or Visual Basic for
> DOS.
> The main problems are that it must not use a TSR to access files and
> it must use dbase indexes.

 Well Steve, I didn't find any Lib's for QB, but I did find the format docs.
 ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/formats/dbasefil.inf

 Maybe you can write your own code for it if you can't find a LIB.

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 dBase III for Basic

Quote:
>Does anyone know of a library that would allow me to access dbase
>files and indexes with either MS-Basic PDS 7.1 or Visual Basic for
>DOS.

You might want to try db/LIB from AJS Publishing (310) 215-9145.  Its
a small and fast library that links directly into your EXE or custom
runtime library.  It only support dBase III+ index files though.  I
have used it with PDS and extensively with VBDOS.  Its been very
stable.

Mitch Todd

Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. dBase III for Basic

2. dBase III for Basic

3. I can't read dBase III file in Visual Basic

4. open dbase type dbase III

5. Transferdatabase to dBase III problem

6. Access 2.0 to dBase III

7. saving Access Tables to dbase III file format

8. connecting to dBase III dbf table with VB 6

9. VB 6.0 and dBase III files

10. VB6 code for opening dBASE III files

11. VB5 + DBase III Question

12. Open dBASE III-DB with non-standard file extension in VB5