QBasic Compiler
Author Message
 QBasic Compiler

Hi Folks,

I know that QBASIC is an interpreter-language.
But does a program exists that can compile old *.bas-files to an exe-file ??

THX

  7SAC7

Tue, 10 May 2005 00:11:44 GMT
 QBasic Compiler
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:14:21 -0500, "Paul O. BARTLETT"

Quote:

>> I know that QBASIC is an interpreter-language.
>> But does a program exists that can compile old *.bas-files to an exe-file ??

>    QuickBasic 4.5, the last compiler that Microsoft sold before

You forgot about BASIC compiler 6.0, QuickBASIC 7.0, and 7.1 all of
which were released between the two you mentioned.

Quote:

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Tue, 10 May 2005 06:09:41 GMT
 QBasic Compiler

Quote:
>On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:14:21 -0500, "Paul O. BARTLETT"

>>> I know that QBASIC is an interpreter-language.
>>> But does a program exists that can compile old *.bas-files to an exe-file ??

>>    QuickBasic 4.5, the last compiler that Microsoft sold before

>You forgot about BASIC compiler 6.0, QuickBASIC 7.0, and 7.1 all of
>which were released between the two you mentioned.

MS BASIC 6 and 7 were not, officially, QuickBasic but the "BASIC
Professional Development System."  PDS included a QB-style development
environment sometimes called QBX, for QuickBasic Extended, but there
was more good stuff than the compiler and linker.  You could specify
BCD arithmetic for handling money, declare "far" strings to get around
the 64K limit, and goodies that I don't remeber because I couldn't
afford PDS when I bought my copy of QuickBasic at the blowout sale.

If I were still doing serious BASIC programming, I would be using
powerbasic or XBasic (which has a Linux version).  We may all have to
migrate to the Unix side of the fence (which now includes Macland) if
Microsoft manages to pull off its Palladium scam.

Tue, 10 May 2005 11:21:29 GMT
 QBasic Compiler

Quote:

<snip>
>>You forgot about BASIC compiler 6.0, QuickBASIC 7.0, and 7.1 all of
>>which were released between the two you mentioned.

>MS BASIC 6 and 7 were not, officially, QuickBasic but the "BASIC
>Professional Development System."  PDS included a QB-style development
>environment sometimes called QBX, for QuickBasic Extended, but there
>was more good stuff than the compiler and linker.  You could specify
>BCD arithmetic for handling money, declare "far" strings to get around
>the 64K limit, and goodies that I don't remeber because I couldn't
>afford PDS when I bought my copy of QuickBasic at the blowout sale.

I got mine as an upgrade to MS BASIC compiler 5.35.

Basic Compiler 6 came with QuickBasic 4.00b as an IDE.

From PDS 7.0: Looks like QuickBASIC to me:
Microsoft (R) QuickBASIC Extended (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp, 1982 -
1989

From PDS 7.1: Looks like QuickBASIC to me:
Microsoft (R) QuickBASIC Extended v7.1 (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp,
1982-1990

BTW, no version of any MS basic has BCD math AFAIK.

You are probably thinking of the CURRENCY data type which is a 64 bit
integer which is biased by 10000, and all processing of that data type
is passed thru the floating point math routines, from what I can tell.

Quote:

>If I were still doing serious BASIC programming, I would be using
>PowerBasic or XBasic (which has a Linux version).  We may all have to
>migrate to the Unix side of the fence (which now includes Macland) if
>Microsoft manages to pull off its Palladium scam.

I am writing my own compiler.  Now if only I could locate a good code
generator.

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.
(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Tue, 10 May 2005 11:58:40 GMT
 QBasic Compiler

Quote:

> MS BASIC 6 and 7 were not, officially, QuickBasic but the "BASIC
> Professional Development System."  PDS included ....
>  "far" strings to get around the 64K limit...

I don't know why this hit me this AM, but it did.

Learning to program with what we might today consider 'stone knives and
bearskin' limits like 64 Kb max strings and 640 Kb total RAM had the
advantage of making us resource-conscious. We learned how to do more with
less.

With today's systems, beginning programmers can get away with the most
incredible profligacy and pay little or no price.

But...when Real World Resource Push comes to Real World Resource Shove,
those who never learned how to do more with less are truly a long way
upstream and paddle-less.

MCM

Tue, 10 May 2005 21:37:43 GMT
 QBasic Compiler

Quote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:14:21 -0500, "Paul O. BARTLETT"

> >> I know that QBASIC is an interpreter-language.
> >> But does a program exists that can compile old *.bas-files to an exe-file ??

> >    QuickBasic 4.5, the last compiler that Microsoft sold before

> You forgot about BASIC compiler 6.0, QuickBASIC 7.0, and 7.1 all of
> which were released between the two you mentioned.

Yeah, but they're not necessarily easier to find [a legal copy of] than QuickBasic
4.5.

Wed, 11 May 2005 00:13:55 GMT
 QBasic Compiler

Quote:

> > MS BASIC 6 and 7 were not, officially, QuickBasic but the "BASIC
> > Professional Development System."  PDS included ....
> >  "far" strings to get around the 64K limit...

> I don't know why this hit me this AM, but it did.

> Learning to program with what we might today consider 'stone knives and
> bearskin' limits like 64 Kb max strings and 640 Kb total RAM had the
> advantage of making us resource-conscious. We learned how to do more with
> less.

> With today's systems, beginning programmers can get away with the most
> incredible profligacy and pay little or no price.

> But...when Real World Resource Push comes to Real World Resource Shove,
> those who never learned how to do more with less are truly a long way
> upstream and paddle-less.

> MCM

You're surely right...but...when did anybody EVER switch software to save
10%, 50%, 200%
in executable code size???  First one to market wins, all else equal.  That
guarantees
sloppy, buggy huge code cobbled together by the lowest bidder.  My Windows is
currently
allocating more RAM than I had hard drive in '94.  That way I can get more
spam faster.
Doncha just love progress.  So, click on the link in the sig and buy
something from me so
I can get more ram....and a bigger hard drive....and faster processor...
mike
Tek 2465 300MHz scope, TFT projector, ham radio, 30pS pulser
Tektronix Concept Books...

Wed, 11 May 2005 00:35:01 GMT
 QBasic Compiler
Not true. The latest one be4 VB/DOS was Basic PDS 7.1
Quote:
>     QuickBasic 4.5, the last compiler that Microsoft sold before
> introducing Visual Basic for DOS, can compile all of QBasic and many

Wed, 11 May 2005 17:14:36 GMT

1. QBasic Compiler

2. QBasic compiler!

3. QBASIC COMPILER

4. QBasic Compiler

5. Need Share Ware Qbasic Compiler

6. Someone with QBasic compiler, please help !

7. QBasic Compiler!

8. QBasic compiler

9. QBasic Compilers and Tutorials

10. Qbasic Compiler