NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?
Author Message
 NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

  I am developing in VB5, which is wonderful, but we went
to NT4 and I crash repeatedly when in the VB5 development
environment. Has anyone else had this problem?

  I am on a 200mhz pentiumII. 64 Meg of RAM and lots of
storage. The machine is from BTO (?) so I have no idea
what kind of motherboard I have. I note this because my
suspicions lie in this direction. (Our sys admin buys real
cheap from friends.)

Chris

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

Quote:
>   I am developing in VB5, which is wonderful, but we went
> to NT4 and I crash repeatedly when in the VB5 development
> environment. Has anyone else had this problem?

I thought NT4 work station would be the way to go for
development too.  Big mistake.  It set me way behind
on my project schedule.  It is a hideously bloated
bug-infested piece of ca-ca, and Microsoft should be
prosecuted for releasing it.  It was constantly crashing,
losing and corrupting files, and having all sorts of
problems with internet connections.  As far as I'm
concerned, I just took the 250 bucks or so that I
paid for it and threw it away.

I went back to Win 95, and have had no problems
since.

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

Oh, yes.  I forgot to say, lest anyone should mention it,
that I ordered the 14.95 Service pack for NT workstation
from Microsoft in the hopes that it would fix all the
problems I was having.

AFTER INSTALLING IT, THE PROBLEMS WERE
EVEN WORSE !!

jdm

Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

Quote:

> Oh, yes.  I forgot to say, lest anyone should mention it,
> that I ordered the 14.95 Service pack for NT workstation
> from Microsoft in the hopes that it would fix all the
> problems I was having.

> AFTER INSTALLING IT, THE PROBLEMS WERE
> EVEN WORSE !!

> jdm

I had to install NT4.0 for the contract I was working on....
I also downloaded ServicePack 3 (~1.5hrs) so that I 'll have
FAX capability... I promptly lost some of the VB5 functions
such as BEEP, certain WAV aps and other goodies that make
YOUR system more interesting to work with than the
competiotion's.

What a bummer...

Anybody else with these problems ????

George

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

I have no such problems and I have been developing under NT4 and VB5 (and
VB3 and VB4(16) for that matter) for many months.  On one of my stations
I upgraded from NT3.51 to NT4 and on the other I upgraded form W95 to
NT4.  In both cases I have zero problems.

However, I was very careful with the W95 upgrade because others have had
problems with this upgrade, especially when trying to install NT4 on top
of W95.  In this case I backed the system up, reformatted, and rebuilt
the system from scratch.  I have since turned the machine into a dual
boot system...still no problems.

Service pack 3 might help you but there is no guarantee if you installed
NT4 in top of W95.

If you are not in a real rush the MS web site has a web support option
under their technical support pages.  I had what turned out to be a
subtle and non-critical hardware configuration problem on my home machine
and I got good results this way.  The support tech always responded
within a couple of days (even on weekends) and was very helpful.

Dan

Please remove VIKINGSPAM from the address when replying via email

says...

Quote:

--

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. NT4 and VB5 crashing - anyone else?

2. access and NT4 crash

3. Packaging Wizard crashes NT4

4. NT4/sp3 Crash

5. vb4.0 pro + Nt4.0 crashes samples.

6. VB4.0 crashing under NT4.0/Win95 (OSR2)

7. Calling VB5 DLL with another VB5 DLL results in crashes

8. THREED32 CRASH...Anyone know about this?

9. THREED32 CRASH...Anyone know about this?

10. THREED32 CRASH...Anyone know about this?

11. GetCommandLine - Why does it crash my app anyone?

12. Access97 Repair with VB5.0 / DAO3.5 / NT4.0 (sp6)