gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!
Author Message
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

Hi, I've recently had to do start using
gwbasic, to change the design on some
labels my boss has designed using an old
gwbasic program. The problem is I need
to now how to increase the size of the
lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
I know its something to do with the chr$
function and that "w" doubles the width
of the line in effect making it bigger
but I need really large lettering and my
basic knowledge is as old as the
spectrum48K.

Please help as I am at wits ends!

Cheers

Simon C.

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

Quote:

>Hi, I've recently had to do start using
>gwbasic, to change the design on some
>labels my boss has designed using an old
>gwbasic program. The problem is I need
>to now how to increase the size of the
>lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
>I know its something to do with the chr$
>function and that "w" doubles the width
>of the line in effect making it bigger
>but I need really large lettering and my

Maybe if you posted some of the code???
And what type of printer you're using??

Visit my source code page at http://www.mindspring.com/~johnecarter
Visit my favorite school at http://www.mindspring.com/~addison

Get PR-Tracker -- tracks problem reports, defects, bugs
INFORMATION:  http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
DOWNLOAD:     http://www.prtracker.com/download.html

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

Quote:
> Hi, I've recently had to do start using
> gwbasic, to change the design on some
> labels my boss has designed using an old
> gwbasic program. The problem is I need
> to now how to increase the size of the
> lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
> I know its something to do with the chr$
> function and that "w" doubles the width
> of the line in effect making it bigger
> but I need really large lettering and my
> basic knowledge is as old as the
> spectrum48K.
> Please help as I am at wits ends!

Ever heard of word processors ? Rumour has it that you can do
things with text in them quite easily, and sometimes they also happen to
come out of the printer like you saw it on screen...

--

.oO Those who know cannot explain, those who don't cannot understand Oo.

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:38:45 +0100, Simon Caldecutt

Quote:

>Hi, I've recently had to do start using
>gwbasic, to change the design on some
>labels my boss has designed using an old
>gwbasic program. The problem is I need
>to now how to increase the size of the
>lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
>I know its something to do with the chr$
>function and that "w" doubles the width
>of the line in effect making it bigger
>but I need really large lettering and my
>basic knowledge is as old as the
>spectrum48K.

I will assume that by "size  of the lettering" you mean FONT size for
printed labels. You need to send printer control commands to the
printer using the LPRINT statement. These commands depend on what
printer you are using but ALL printer commands that I know about use
ESCAPE SEQUENCES which are usually formatted using  CHR$(27). You will
need a reference of printer commands for your particular printer,
usually included in the owner's manual. Some printers support scalable
fonts which gives you precise control of font size, others have more
limited size controls such as CONDENSED, SUBSCRIPT, WIDE.
Hope this helps

--
<<Bob Chappuis>>

anti-spam address in use
to send email change bchapp to chappuis

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

Quote:

>> Hi, I've recently had to do start using
>> gwbasic, to change the design on some
>> labels my boss has designed using an old
>> gwbasic program. The problem is I need
>> to now how to increase the size of the
>> lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
>> I know its something to do with the chr$
>> function and that "w" doubles the width
>> of the line in effect making it bigger
>> but I need really large lettering and my
>> basic knowledge is as old as the
>> spectrum48K.

>> Please help as I am at wits ends!

This is actually more a function of your printer than of Basic.  If it's
an Epson-compatible nine-pin printer, LPRINT CHR$(27);"W1"; turns on
double width and CHR$(27);"W0" turns it off.  Read the printer manual to see
if it has any larger fonts built in, otherwise it will take more than a simple
Basic program.

--
Bill Marcum    bmarcum at iglou dot com
"Someone forgot to put the shoggoth out.  There's ichor all over the floor."

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gwbasic simple programming help, Please!!!

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:38:45 +0100, Simon Caldecutt

Quote:

>gwbasic program. The problem is I need
>to now how to increase the size of the
>lettering (and subsequently shrink it).
>I know its something to do with the chr$
>function and that "w" doubles the width
>of the line in effect making it bigger

You are "looking in the wrong place" ;-) All of that funtionality (or at
least whatever is available to you)  is part of your printer's
capabilities. The first thing you need to do is get hold of the printer
technical reference or programmers manual for your specific printer. It
will describe what control sequences you send to the printer from you
program to activate various printer functions such as text size etc. The
details will be specific to your printer make and model. If your printer
doesn't have fonts large enough for your purposes but does have a "graphics
mode" then you will need to design your required font as graphics and
develop the code needed to send them to the printer. That is a fairly large
and "ugly" job and I would suggest you "change the plan" if this is your
situation. Unless you are working for free and have a lot of interest in
doing it yourself (and the time to do so) the mores cost effective method
would be to buy a printer with the built in font capability and then either
modify the program for that printer or else simply use any of the modern
word processors all of which have excellent font support and the ability to
genrate labels very nicely ;-)

-- Regards --

Sid Lee - Calgary, Alberta, Canada (51d N, 114d West)

Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

2. Some simple BASIC programming help, please.

3. Please help - simple VB 4.0 DB programming question

4. need help in simple program, very simple

5. HELP: How to terminate a GWBASIC program

6. gwbasic - please help

7. HELP WITH PRINTING GWBASIC PROGRAM OUTPUT

8. SIMPLE SIMPLE ListView Question. Please help

9. Good, simple, robust VB DB programming examples, please?

10. Good, simple, robust VB DB programming examples, please?

11. Can anyone HELP me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

12. Help Please: Frustrated novice need help with simple proceedure