Good statistical software package for the Mac
Author Message
 Good statistical software package for the Mac

:
:[cut - argument on how languages should interpret -2^2]

well, I was interesed enough to go review several basic manuals,
not one mentions this notion of negation on the first term of
a series taking precidence over the exponentiation.
The manual for Microsoft Quickbasic explicitly lists negation
as having precidence over multiplication:
1) exponentiation
2) negation
3) multiplication/division

So why does every one of those manuals (some I looked at were 'truebasic'
and trs-80 basic) omit this seemingly important rule? It should appear
as a "warning" IMO.

--

to reply simply press "r"
       -- I hate editing addresses more than I hate the spam!

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good statistical software package for the Mac

Quote:

> :
> :[cut - argument on how languages should interpret -2^2]

> well, I was interesed enough to go review several basic manuals,
> not one mentions this notion of negation on the first term of
> a series taking precidence over the exponentiation.
> The manual for Microsoft Quickbasic explicitly lists negation
> as having precidence over multiplication:
> 1) exponentiation
> 2) negation
> 3) multiplication/division

> So why does every one of those manuals (some I looked at were 'truebasic'
> and trs-80 basic) omit this seemingly important rule? It should appear
> as a "warning" IMO.

Good question.  Note:  you can usually get away with either ordering 2) -
3) or 3) - 2) above.  Since changing the sign of one factor in a term
involving multiplication and/or division only is the same as changing the
sign of the result of that term's operations:

  - 2*3/4 = - (2*3/4) = (-2)*3/4 = etc. etc.

However, changing the order of 1) and 2) can lead to different and wrong
results.

--
Louis M. Pecora

 == My views and opinions are not those of the U.S. Navy. ==
 == No Spamming or Soliciting -- both are illegal at this site ==
  Check out our Nonlinear Web site: http://chaos-mac.nrl.navy.mil/
 * The 5th Experimental Chaos Conference June 1999.
Check it out at http://www.physics.gatech.edu/ecc5/#proceedings
 * The 4th Experimental Chaos Conference Sessions & Abstracts Online: http://natasha.umsl.edu/Exp_Chaos4, proceedings now available.

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. STATISTICAL PACKAGE

2. Package and deployment wizard and the mac?????

3. VBScript package for mac

4. Looking for Visual Basic Software for Windows and Mac

5. REQ: OTC Software Package fro product upload

6. Packaging and Deployment of Software

7. Switching from inhouse software to canned package.

8. Wanted: ASP portal software package

9. Which Basic For Mac is Best?

10. ANY VB PEOPLE OUT THERE GOOD WITH MAC?????

11. Mac: Best *simple* BASIC program for teacher?