Modem
Author Message
 Modem

I've been able to open the com port and dial a number in QB, but where to
from there? How do I, for example, log in to an ISP? Send mail, or connect
to a newsgroup? Use the Internet?
I know this is probably high-tech stuff, but I'd love to know so I can do
some decent modem programming.
--
Cogito Ergo Um - I think therefore I .. er ...

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Modem

Quote:
>I've been able to open the com port and dial a number in QB, but where to
>from there? How do I, for example, log in to an ISP? Send mail, or connect
>to a newsgroup? Use the Internet?
>I know this is probably high-tech stuff, but I'd love to know so I can do
>some decent modem programming.

Depending on your provider, this can be very complex indeed...

Some providers also support regular terminal connections... You can use any
old com. program (like Telix for dos, or whatever) make a connection, send
your name & password, and you're connected to the UNIX shell. Mail, news,
IRC, etc. It all works as it would be by telnet. BUT it means your provider
will have to support this type of connection, and not all of them do.

Any ordinary terminal program would work in this case, and there are a lot
of terminal-programs available with full QB or PB sourcecode.

If they do NOT support this a terminal connection, things will get very
difficult. You'll have to use the TCP/IP protocol in that case, and this is
_way_ more complex then your average terminal program. There is no
ready-made QB-compatible TCP/IP stack which you can use, to the best of my
knowledge.

Apparently there is a shareware DOS-based TCP/IP TSR available _somewhere_,
but it sure is very complex to integrate something like this with QB if
you're not a QB-guru... It's not impossible, but quite complex...
Because _after_ you get the TCP/IP connection to work, you'll have to
implement the various protocols (POP3 or SMTP for mail, NNTP for news, etc)
as well... Alltogether, I it's definitely out of most people's league.

I know it's out of mine, at the moment. ;-)
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. modems, modems, modems...

2. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10936

3. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 10832

4. QB or PB Modem to Modem code

5. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12217

6. COM and Modem - modem.bas (1/1)

7. COM and Modem - modem.bas (0/1)

8. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12220

9. send File Modem to Modem (not FTP)

10. Easy modem-to-modem call and TCP/IP question

11. ANN: Modem Tools OCXs for Voice Modem Control

12. Please help, Modem to Modem chat program - modem7.ZIP (0/1)