What makes a good VB programmer?
Author Message
 What makes a good VB programmer?

I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

Thanks!
-John

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:
> I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
> are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

Someone who can use usenet to find over 30 VB specific news groups.

Simon.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:
>I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
>are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

>Thanks!
>-John

The same qualities which make a good programmer in ANY language.

1. No life
2. Reclusive
3. Able to drink mass quantities of coffee.
4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.
5. No conception of time. (best programming occurs at 3am)

probably a few others I've forgotten, but then these are the
mandatory ones. (number 4 can be substituted with candy,
cookies, donuts, etc...)

Ska

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:

>I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they
feel
>are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

Pretty much the same as any other language.

1. Imagination
2. Ability to focus
3. Self discipline

This last seems especially important.  The VB environment makes it possible
to create zillions of bits of code with names that can be nearly as
meaningless as line noise.

    - Bill

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

: >I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
: >are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.
: >
: >Thanks!
: >-John
: >
: >
: The same qualities which make a good programmer in ANY language.

: 1. No life

I'm not that bad yet ;)

: 2. Reclusive

Eh...?

: 3. Able to drink mass quantities of coffee.

I preffer Pepsi or Coke... there's mo' caffine in it :)

: 4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.

Hit that one on the nose... <Now where the hell did my lighter go???>

: 5. No conception of time. (best programming occurs at 3am)

I think that has somthing to do with being so tired your not paying
attention to what your doing, it just 'flows' out the way it should...
don't ask me to explain the code in the morning tho ;)

: probably a few others I've forgotten, but then these are the
: mandatory ones. (number 4 can be substituted with candy,
: cookies, donuts, etc...)

: Ska

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:

>: >I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
>: >are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.
>: >
>: >Thanks!
>: >-John
>: >
>: >
>: The same qualities which make a good programmer in ANY language.

>: 1. No life

>I'm not that bad yet ;)

  That's why you're not a guru, yet...
  Keep working on this aspect of programming!

Quote:
>: 2. Reclusive

>Eh...?

That's one of those subs that keeps calling itself, isn't it?
Or.. is it one that's buried in a library that you haven't used in two years?
Quote:

>: 3. Able to drink mass quantities of coffee.

>I preffer Pepsi or Coke... there's mo' caffine in it :)

 Ya' ought'a try Pepsi MAX or Jolt!!

Quote:
>: 4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.
>Hit that one on the nose... <Now where the hell did my lighter go???>

50% of my work surface is dedicated as an ashtray.

Quote:
>: 5. No conception of time. (best programming occurs at 3am)

>I think that has somthing to do with being so tired your not paying
>attention to what your doing, it just 'flows' out the way it should...
>don't ask me to explain the code in the morning tho ;)

Been there!

Quote:
>: probably a few others I've forgotten, but then these are the
>: mandatory ones. (number 4 can be substituted with candy,
>: cookies, donuts, etc...)

I'd kill for a GOOD donut 'bout now. At least Haugendags(sp) icecream is
available here in Greece.

  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _)
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|

     www.basicguru.com/schullian

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:
>I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
>are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

'Scuse me, John, but wouldn't the use of 'Visual BASIC' and 'good' in the same
sentence, without a negative qualifier, constitute an oxymoron?
  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|

     www.basicguru.com/schullian

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:

>>> 4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.
>>Hit that one on the nose... <Now where the hell did my lighter
go???>
>50% of my work surface is dedicated as an ashtray.

Raise that percentage for me.

I'd add another requirement that is 'not having anyone who relies on
you for anything, including conversation'. My girlfriend has ceased to
be impressed with spirally patterns long ago, and even today 'Hey
baby, I wrote a 3d starfield, do you want to see it?' was met with
'I'm going to smash that f*ing computer with a hammer one day.' Not
very ladylike I thought, but hey, she just doesn't understand.

Cheers,

Ali

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:
> The same qualities which make a good programmer in ANY language.
> 1. No life
> 2. Reclusive
> 3. Able to drink mass quantities of coffee.
> 4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.
> 5. No conception of time. (best programming occurs at 3am)
> probably a few others I've forgotten, but then these are the
> mandatory ones. (number 4 can be substituted with candy,
> cookies, donuts, etc...)

Insert typical "How can one smoke mass quantities of candy, cookies,
doughnuts, etc?"
Laugh pathetically.

Simon.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

To become a member in the secret society of programmers,
with the secret handshake, and illuminati decoder ring-
you must understand a few basic principles:

1. Good code can NOT begin to develop until after the
   3rd time your wife or significant other demands you come to bed.

2. Writing code at 3am is similar to immersion in a sensory deprivation
   chamber. When the code starts oozing out like a zit on your butt, even
   the 4 horses of the apocolypse could ride through your room unnoticed.

3. No matter how clear & well remarked your code is, it will be completely
    indecipherable by you in 6 months. (who WROTE this, anyway?)

4. You wife, friends, co-workers eyes will glaze over as you attempt to
    describe your latest masterpiece of coding. (coding is similar to fine
    art, except only YOU get to appreciate the {*filter*}IN' routines you
    put into a program. No one else cares... :(   )

5. Bugs in programs will NEVER show up when simulating, and debugging-
    these ALWAYS wait until you are demonstrating your program to a boss,
    or person you wish to impress.

Ska

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:

>> The same qualities which make a good programmer in ANY language.

>> 1. No life
>> 2. Reclusive
>> 3. Able to drink mass quantities of coffee.
>> 4. Able to smoke mass quantities of cigarettes.
>> 5. No conception of time. (best programming occurs at 3am)

>> probably a few others I've forgotten, but then these are the
>> mandatory ones. (number 4 can be substituted with candy,
>> cookies, donuts, etc...)
>Insert typical "How can one smoke mass quantities of candy, cookies,
>doughnuts, etc?"
>Laugh pathetically.

>Simon.

I suppose you COULD smoke donuts, but I always have a
hard time keeping them lit..

Ska.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

: I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
: are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

But seriously folks,

I propose one often-overlooked quality above most others: research
skills. The field, the technology, the universe, etc., change so quickly
that it is not possible for a single human to hold the necessary
information to solve all the problems that come up in the course of
creating a reasonably sophisticated application. In other words, I claim
that 'knowing how to do X, Y, and Z'  is not nearly so important as
'knowing how to find out how to do X, Y, and Z' (given, of course, a
reasonably thorough competence in the first place, so one isn't _always_
running off to the reference texts)..

Paul

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:

>I suppose you COULD smoke donuts, but I always have a
>hard time keeping them lit..

Wanna borrow my blow-torch?

  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _)
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|

     www.basicguru.com/schullian

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What makes a good VB programmer?

Quote:
>I am doing a little research and would like people's input on what they feel
>are the most important attributes of a good Visual Basic programmer.

Hay JD, you getting all this?

Anyone gotten any 'thanks' from this dude for all our help?

  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|

     www.basicguru.com/schullian

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. What makes a good VB programmer?

2. Making TLB's for VB Programmers

3. Good book on multi-threading for vb programmers

4. Best VB books for cobol programmer

5. Market rate for good vb programmer

6. Desperately Seeking a Good VB Programmer -Herts/Bucks UK

7. A question: Best VBA book for expert VB programmer

8. A good VB programmer's pay...

9. Always looking for a few good VB programmers

10. Best Way to Destroy a Programmer (WAS:VB sucks)

11. Good VB 4 Book for C Programmer

12. What is the best VB programmer book?