Quick Basic 4.5
Author Message
 Quick Basic 4.5

    Hello, I have been out of computers for a while and have just got back
into it. I used to program quite a bit in Quick Basic ver 4.5. However, my
original installation disks are no good, and have found that Microsoft not
longer sells the program (Nor does it support it. Guess they are trying to
push everyone into Visual).

    Point is, I wouldn't mind learning Visual Basic, but at this point the
cost is a factor. Also, I have some programming needs that I know that I can
satisfy if I could get my hands on a copy of Quick Basic 4.5.

    Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware? What's up in
general.....

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

                                Joe

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Boy oh boy are you gonna stir up a can o' worms with this.

For the record.

1.  Quickbasic 4.5 is no longer produced (out of print)
2.  It is NOT freeware
3.  It can be found at a few places selling old copies, somoene posted the
names of few earlier this week
4.  OR you can try to find someone to sell it used

Quote:

>    Hello, I have been out of computers for a while and have just got back
>into it. I used to program quite a bit in Quick Basic ver 4.5. However, my
>original installation disks are no good, and have found that Microsoft not
>longer sells the program (Nor does it support it. Guess they are trying to
>push everyone into Visual).

>    Point is, I wouldn't mind learning Visual Basic, but at this point the
>cost is a factor. Also, I have some programming needs that I know that I
can
>satisfy if I could get my hands on a copy of Quick Basic 4.5.

>    Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
>copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware? What's up
in
>general.....

>    Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

>                                Joe

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Quote:

>    Hello, I have been out of computers for a while and have just got back
>into it. I used to program quite a bit in Quick Basic ver 4.5. However, my
>original installation disks are no good, and have found that Microsoft not
>longer sells the program (Nor does it support it. Guess they are trying to
>push everyone into Visual).

>    Point is, I wouldn't mind learning Visual Basic, but at this point the
>cost is a factor. Also, I have some programming needs that I know that I can
>satisfy if I could get my hands on a copy of Quick Basic 4.5.

>    Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
>copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware? What's up in
>general.....

>    Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

>                                Joe

Joe,

Fire up your search engine, and look for Firstbasic.

It is pretty much compatable with QB45, and allows
you to compile to stand alone .EXE files.

FirstBasic makes faster .EXE files than QB45 does
for all my programs, and I've got a few monster
number cruncher ones...

It's shareware, with a 20 buck reg. fee if you like it.

Ska

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

In most local retail centers around me (in Phoenix, AZ), QuickBASIC is 50%
more expensive than Visual BASIC.  It's price is equivalent to Power BASIC
 http://www.powerbasic.com ) or True BASIC ( http://www.truebasic.com ).

--
Increase the Peace!
Charles LaCour

Quote:

>    Hello, I have been out of computers for a while and have just got back
>into it. I used to program quite a bit in Quick Basic ver 4.5. However, my
>original installation disks are no good, and have found that Microsoft not
>longer sells the program (Nor does it support it. Guess they are trying to
>push everyone into Visual).

>    Point is, I wouldn't mind learning Visual Basic, but at this point the
>cost is a factor. Also, I have some programming needs that I know that I
can
>satisfy if I could get my hands on a copy of Quick Basic 4.5.

>    Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
>copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware? What's up
in
>general.....

>    Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

>                                Joe

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

http://www.*-*-*.com/

They have oodles of Quick Basic 4.5 for 110.95.  You can also pick up
brand new Visual Basic 5.0 professional packages at http://www.*-*-*.com/
for 45 to 65 bucks usually.

Visual Basic for DOS is another story.  You can still find a few
copies of it on used software sites, but you'll pay out the nose for
it.

Also, make the rounds of the office electronic and computer superstores
in your area.  Once in a while I still see copies of Quick Basic for sale
in one of them.

I am of the opinion that it's far better to buy an original software
package
if you can find it, because you get a known clean copy and the
documentation.
Downloading pirated software is like having sex with street {*filter*}s.  You
never know what you're gonna get.

jdm

Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Quote:
>Downloading pirated software is like having sex with street {*filter*}s.  You
>never know what you're gonna get.

Ah yes, but they make you feel so DIRTY....

Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Quote:

>    Hello, I have been out of computers for a while and have just got back
>into it. I used to program quite a bit in Quick Basic ver 4.5. However, my
>original installation disks are no good, and have found that Microsoft not
>longer sells the program (Nor does it support it. Guess they are trying to
>push everyone into Visual).

>    Point is, I wouldn't mind learning Visual Basic, but at this point the
>cost is a factor. Also, I have some programming needs that I know that I can
>satisfy if I could get my hands on a copy of Quick Basic 4.5.

If you can get by with interpreted programs, QBASIC should be on
your computer or on your Win95 CD's.  Else, it's downloadable from
Microsoft's Website.

-Mike A.

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

   >Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
   >copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware?
   >What's up in general.....
Microsoft's policy on old software seems to be: if it wasn't free to begin
with, it NEVER will be (until the copyright expires, 50 years after the
author's death).

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Quote:
> Microsoft's policy on old software seems to be: if it wasn't free to begin
> with, it NEVER will be (until the copyright expires, 50 years after the
> author's death).

Oh...  It's too easy....  <eg>

--Dave

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

ran {*filter*} through the streets of comp.lang.basic.misc, chanting:

Quote:

>    >Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
>    >copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware?
>    >What's up in general.....
> Microsoft's policy on old software seems to be: if it wasn't free to begin
> with, it NEVER will be (until the copyright expires, 50 years after the
> author's death).

...50 years after creation actually. So, if you can wait until 2038, QB will be
free for everyone :)

ee
--
Alex Warren, aka Emergency Exit

icq:   4043750

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;          - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;- Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC programmers

to the email address above)

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Basic 4.5

Quote:
>It was the bright day of Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:17:15 GMT when

Quote:
>ran {*filter*} through the streets of comp.lang.basic.misc, chanting:

>>    >Is there anyone out there that has a copy or knows where I can get a
>>    >copy? Since M/S not longer supports it, has it become freeware?
>>    >What's up in general.....
>> Microsoft's policy on old software seems to be: if it wasn't free to
begin
>> with, it NEVER will be (until the copyright expires, 50 years after the
>> author's death).

>...50 years after creation actually. So, if you can wait until 2038, QB
will be
>free for everyone :)

Wow, i can't wait! *lol*
I don't think i'm programming in QB in 2038 anymore.....maybe something like
VB 37 *lol*

- Thomas Daugaard

>ee
>--
>Alex Warren, aka Emergency Exit

>icq:   4043750

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;    - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;- Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC
programmers
>(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change

>to the email address above)

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Converting Quick Basic 4.5 to Visual Basic 5.0

2. Quick Basic 4.5 for auction on eBay

3. quick basic 4.5

4. DBASE Drivers For Quick Basic 4.5

5. Quick Basic 4.5

6. gpib help with quick basic 4.5

7. Quick Basic 4.5

8. SoundBlaster 16 and Quick Basic 4.5

9. QUICK BASIC 4.5 FAQ?

10. Librarys in Quick Basic 4.5

11. Compiling problem with Quick Basic 4.5

12. Quick Basic 4.5 help files wanted