Qbasic Address memory Reading...
Author Message
 Qbasic Address memory Reading...

Does anyone know how to write qbasic code to read memory at a specified

40:8  , but I don't know how to read the memory... any code will help
mucho....

-The Professor

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qbasic Address memory Reading...

Quote:
>Does anyone know how to write qbasic code to read memory at a specified

>40:8  , but I don't know how to read the memory.

If you are running some flavor of MS-DOS on an Intel 80x86 processor, that
"40:8" doesn't make sense.

The parallel port isn't in main memory, it's on an I/O port (actually a set of
ports).  You can read a port with the INP(portnumber%) function and write to it
with OUT portnumber%, byte%.

If you just need to write to the port, you can convert your data to a string
with CHR$() and use LPRINT.

To read main memory a byte at a time, first set the segment with

 DEF SEG=segment%

then use the PEEK(offset%) function to get the byte at address
segment%:offset%.

POKE offset%, byte% writes a byte to memory in the segment defined in the last
DEF SEG statement.

If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qbasic Address memory Reading...

Quote:

> >Does anyone know how to write qbasic code to read memory at a specified

> >40:8  , but I don't know how to read the memory.

> If you are running some flavor of MS-DOS on an Intel 80x86 processor, that
> "40:8" doesn't make sense.

He's looking for the _address_ of the port - not the port itself.

He might also want to know:

40:8 is the lowmem address where the first byte of the 1st lpt port
address (3BCh, 378h, or 278h) is stored during POST when the port(s)
is/are detected.  The two bytes at 40:8/9 are LPT1, 40:a/b are LPT2,
40:c/d are LPT3.  As usual, the bytes are backwards (378h is stored as
78 03) and the POST routine does not 'fill-in' missing addresses, so for
instance, if you have 2 lpt's - designated lpt1 and lpt3 by your
hardware/config, only the first 2 lpt lowmem addresses will be
datafilled during POST.

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to read an absolute memory address

2. Reading directly from memory addresses

3. Reading/Writing from/to parallel port memory addresses with Visual Basic

4. How do I Read a Memory Address

5. Reading Memory Addresses ??

6. Reading Memory Address

7. Reading Memory Address

8. Reading and writing to Memory address Locations

9. Reading physical memory address from VB ver3

10. read a memory address with API?

11. How to get data from I/O address or memory address

12. Qbasic Address/Labels