uudecode in awk??
Author Message
 uudecode in awk??

I need a version of uudecode in awk.  Can anyone help me, or fill me in
on how uuencoding works, so maybe I could write the program?  I just
started learning AWK today, when I found out its the only programming
language I have on this obsolete unix box I have... so I need something
to get binaries onto my system.  A uudecoder sounds best, as I can get
ascii files onto it.

thank you,
john

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 uudecode in awk??

Quote:
>I need a version of uudecode in awk.  Can anyone help me, or fill me in
>on how uuencoding works, so maybe I could write the program?  I just
>started learning AWK today, when I found out its the only programming
>language I have on this obsolete unix box I have... so I need something
>to get binaries onto my system.  A uudecoder sounds best, as I can get
>ascii files onto it.

Ahh, the old bootstrap problem.  Sounds hard to believe that AWK is the only
way to go.  Sure you don't have a C compiler there?  Or a communications
program (such that you could bring stuff in via ZMODEM or some such) ?

Anyway, you may not want to go to the trouble of implementing uuencode/decode.
I think you could just write a program to convert a binary file into a
series of hex digit pairs and then write a similar program (in AWK) to convert
that back to binary.  Inefficient, but very easy to do.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It's already
tomorrow in Australia.
                -- Charles Schultz

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. yEnc / UUDecode

2. UUENCODE & UUDECODE in Clarion