How to pronounce AWK
Author Message
 How to pronounce AWK

hi

i'm a newbie to awk. Have anyone asked before  how to pronounce awk,
other than a-w-k.

Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce AWK

Quote:
> i'm a newbie to awk. Have anyone asked before  how to pronounce awk,
> other than a-w-k.

No, no-one asked before.  I wonder why.  Do you need help with any
other words?  Gawk? Mawk? Talk? Chalk? Linux?

Niall

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce AWK

Quote:

> It has been asked before, there is really nothing new under
> this sun ;-).  The canonical pronunciation is like the first
> syllable of "awkward" or like the bird name "auk". So it
> rhymes fine with talk and chalk.

In Germany, it's usually pronounded a-w-k. After all, AWK stands for
"Aho-Weinberger-Kernighan", and not for "awkward". :-) But then, in
German a "W" is pronounced more like "V", which makes such acronyms
(like also "WWW" :-) much easier to spell.

Yours,
Markus.

--
"Aug 21, 1997:
         fixed some bugs in sub and gsub when replacement includes \\.

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce AWK

Quote:

> > It has been asked before, there is really nothing new under
> > this sun ;-). The canonical pronunciation is like the first
> > syllable of "awkward" or like the bird name "auk". So it
> > rhymes fine with talk and chalk.

> In Germany, it's usually pronounded a-w-k. After all, AWK stands for
> "Aho-Weinberger-Kernighan", and not for "awkward". :-) But then, in
> German a "W" is pronounced more like "V", which makes such acronyms
> (like also "WWW" :-) much easier to spell.

In _The AWK Programming Language_ (ISBN 0-201-07981-X), Messrs. Aho,
Kernighan, and Weinberger never state or even imply that the name of the
language is an acronym composed of the first initials of their last names.
They do, however, adorn the cover of the book with a small image of a
black-and-white short-necked diving seabird of the family Alcidae known
as the 'auk' (pronounced 'ok, where \o\ is as aw in law). Throughout the
text, they spell 'awk' in lowercase letters and capitalize it when it's
the first word of a sentence, clearly treating it as a word, not as an
acronym. And in the first sentence of the epilog of _The AWK Programming
Language_ (p. 181), they juxtapose the name of the language with the word
'awkward' to form a word play:

     By now the reader should be a reasonably adept awk user, or at least
     no longer an awkward beginner.

So I pronounce the name of the language as the inventors obviously
pronounced it: as a single-syllable word that rhymes with 'talk'.

--
Jim Monty

Tempe, Arizona USA

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce AWK

: > > It has been asked before, there is really nothing new under
: > > this sun ;-). The canonical pronunciation is like the first
: > > syllable of "awkward" or like the bird name "auk". So it
: > > rhymes fine with talk and chalk.
: >
:
: In _The AWK Programming Language_ (ISBN 0-201-07981-X), Messrs. Aho,
: Kernighan, and Weinberger never state or even imply that the name of the
: language is an acronym composed of the first initials of their last names.
: They do, however, adorn the cover of the book with a small image of a
: black-and-white short-necked diving seabird of the family Alcidae known
: as the 'auk'

This bird is known in French as 'pingouin', so presumably "awk" is pronounced
the same in French ...

--

  Chris Gray

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce AWK
Kernighan in his "Programming in UNIX Environment" mentioned that awk is
name after author of the program. In that book, at the end of awk
section, he kind of had an end note about awk. He said of awk "even the
name is unimaginary -- named after author". I don't have exact quote,
since the book is in my office and I don't have internet accesss there.
i read your comment and I checked book today. This is what I found. If
anyone like to know exact quote from the book, please email me and I'll
be glad send out.

Xixi

says...

Quote:

>> > It has been asked before, there is really nothing new under
>> > this sun ;-). The canonical pronunciation is like the first
>> > syllable of "awkward" or like the bird name "auk". So it
>> > rhymes fine with talk and chalk.

>> In Germany, it's usually pronounded a-w-k. After all, AWK stands for
>> "Aho-Weinberger-Kernighan", and not for "awkward". :-) But then, in
>> German a "W" is pronounced more like "V", which makes such acronyms
>> (like also "WWW" :-) much easier to spell.

>In _The AWK Programming Language_ (ISBN 0-201-07981-X), Messrs. Aho,
>Kernighan, and Weinberger never state or even imply that the name of
the
>language is an acronym composed of the first initials of their last
name
>s.
>They do, however, adorn the cover of the book with a small image of a
>black-and-white short-necked diving seabird of the family Alcidae known
>as the 'auk' (pronounced 'ok, where \o\ is as aw in law). Throughout
the
>text, they spell 'awk' in lowercase letters and capitalize it when it's
>the first word of a sentence, clearly treating it as a word, not as an
>acronym. And in the first sentence of the epilog of _The AWK
Programming
>Language_ (p. 181), they juxtapose the name of the language with the
wor
>'awkward' to form a word play:

>     By now the reader should be a reasonably adept awk user, or at
leas
>     no longer an awkward beginner.

>So I pronounce the name of the language as the inventors obviously
>pronounced it: as a single-syllable word that rhymes with 'talk'.

>--
>Jim Monty

>Tempe, Arizona USA

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to pronounce 'awk'?

2. Trivia: How to pronounce Dylan?

3. How does one pronounce 'Gwydion'?

4. How to pronounce 'Dylan'?

5. Pesce: how do you pronounce that name?

6. why is the cdr pronounced could-er?

7. How is MASM pronounced?

8. how is cache pronounced?

9. How do you pronounce "char"?

10. How To Pronounce The Arrow Delimeter

11. How to pronounce Lahey