first time awk
Author Message
 first time awk

I want to learn about awk, (gawk) but don't know where to start, really.
The man pages are sorta worthless for someone who's never written an awk
script. I can get by in C, and I understand that it's similar...
Although I'm not a programmer by any means, just self taught, and I can
make simple things to get me by. A lot of the stuff that I do in C is
textfile manipulation, and I understand that awk might be better suited
for some of these tasks.

Anyway, I'm hoping that one of you might steer me to a good source for
learning awk. I do best by looking at examples, and that's why the man
pages don't do much good. :)

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 first time awk

Quote:
> I want to learn about awk, (gawk) but don't know where to start, really.
> The man pages are sorta worthless for someone who's never written an awk
> script. I can get by in C, and I understand that it's similar...
> Although I'm not a programmer by any means, just self taught, and I can
> make simple things to get me by. A lot of the stuff that I do in C is
> textfile manipulation, and I understand that awk might be better suited
> for some of these tasks.

> Anyway, I'm hoping that one of you might steer me to a good source for
> learning awk. I do best by looking at examples, and that's why the man
> pages don't do much good. :)

The definitive book on AWK, if you can still find it, is "The AWK
Programming Language" by Alfred V. Aho, Peter J. Weinberger, Brian W.
Kernighan (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company).

It is no coincides that the first initials of the authors last names spells
AWK.

This is a great book, full of examples.

John Zinni

Wed, 05 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 first time awk

Quote:
>I want to learn about awk, (gawk) but don't know where to start, really.
>The man pages are sorta worthless for someone who's never written an awk
>script. I can get by in C, and I understand that it's similar...
>Although I'm not a programmer by any means, just self taught, and I can
>make simple things to get me by. A lot of the stuff that I do in C is
>textfile manipulation, and I understand that awk might be better suited
>for some of these tasks.

>Anyway, I'm hoping that one of you might steer me to a good source for
>learning awk. I do best by looking at examples, and that's why the man
>pages don't do much good. :)

Sed & Awk by Dale Dougherty, published by O'Reilly is excellent, the
original 'Awk Programming Language' by Aho, Weinberger & Kernighan is
how I started.
--
Adam Lovick

Thu, 06 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 first time awk

Quote:

>> I want to learn about awk, (gawk) but don't know where to start, really.
>> The man pages are sorta worthless for someone who's never written an awk
>> script. I can get by in C, and I understand that it's similar...
>> Although I'm not a programmer by any means, just self taught, and I can
>> make simple things to get me by. A lot of the stuff that I do in C is
>> textfile manipulation, and I understand that awk might be better suited
>> for some of these tasks.
>> Anyway, I'm hoping that one of you might steer me to a good source for
>> learning awk. I do best by looking at examples, and that's why the man
>> pages don't do much good. :)
>The definitive book on AWK, if you can still find it, is "The AWK
>Programming Language" by Alfred V. Aho, Peter J. Weinberger, Brian W.
>Kernighan (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company).
>It is no coincides that the first initials of the authors last names spells
>AWK.
>This is a great book, full of examples.

But it is also focussed on old awk, most of us use new awk or gnu awk (or one
of the other awks). So to give a few other references that cover the newer awk
versions:

* Dale Dougherty, Sed & awk, O'Reilly & Associates, 1990.
* Arnold Robbins, Effective AWK Programming (2nd Edition), SSC, 1996?
--
Hans de Vreught                | John von Neumann:

Delft University of Technology | you don't understand things,
The Netherlands                | you just get used to them.

Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. awk first word on first line

2. AWK question: first line that matches?

3. AWK: Problem processing first line

4. My first awk program

5. First time for everything - Dolphin crash

6. Troubles using OCX for the first time...

7. Using an OCX for the first time...

8. first time with Clip4Win

9. first time api prototyping

10. FIRST TIME USE

11. Run-time menu pulldown using alt+first letter

12. First time posting