Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available
Author Message
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

This note is to announce the second BETA release of version 3.1 of gawk. It is
available from ftp://ftp.freefriends.org/arnold/gawk/gawk-3.0.98.tar.gz.

This release fixes a number of bugs, almost all of which have been posted
previously.  More importantly, there is a large number of new features
in this release, the first major release in approximately five years!
The relevant part of NEWS is appended below.

As far as I can tell, the documentation and code have both hit the
freeze point.  Other than changing the version and patch levels, this
is what I expect to release as 3.1.

So, why do a beta release? So that you, yes you, the end user, can see
if anything I've done breaks gawk for you.  Then you can TELL ME ABOUT
IT so that I can fix it for the final release.

I want version 3.1 to be stable for the long term. PLEASE help me do
that by building and testing this release, and letting me know if there
are any problems.  Ultimately, it is yourself you're helping, as well
as every other gawk user, when you do this.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins

Changes from 3.0.6 to 3.1.0
---------------------------

1. A new PROCINFO array provides info about the process. The non-I/O /dev/xxx
   files are now obsolete, and their use always generates a warning.

2. A new `mktime' builtin function was added for creating time stamps. The
   `mktime' function written in awk was removed from the user's guide.

3. New `--gen-po' option creates GNU gettext .po files for strings marked
   with a leading underscore.

4. Gawk now completely interprets special file names internally, ignoring the
   existence of real /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout files, etc.

5. The mmap code was removed. It was a worthwhile experiment that just
   didn't work out.

6. The BINMODE variable is new; on non-UNIX systems it affects how gawk
   opens files for text vs. binary.

7. The atari port is now unsupported.

8. Gawk no longer supports `next file' as two words.

9. On systems that support it, gawk now sets the `close on exec' flag on all
   files and pipes it opens. This makes sure that child processes run via
   system() or pipes have plenty of file descriptors available.

10. New ports: Tandem and BeOS.  The Tandem port is unsupported.

11. If `--posix' is in effect, newlines are not allowed after ?:.

12. Weird OFMT/CONVFMT formats no longer cause fatal errors.

13. Diagnostics about array parameters now include the parameter's name,
    not just its number.

14. configure should now automatically add -D_SYSV3 for ISC Unix.
    (This seems to have made it into the gawk 3.0.x line long ago.)

15. It is now possible to open a two-way pipe via the `|&' operator.
    See the discussion in the manual about putting `sort' into such a pipeline,
    though.  (NOTE!  This is borrowed from ksh: it is not the same as
    the same operator in csh!)

16. The close() function now takes an optional second string argument
    that allows closing one or the other end of the two-way pipe to
    a co-process.  This is needed to use `sort' in a co-process, see
    the doc.

17. If TCP/IP is available, special file names beginning with `/inet'
    can be used with `|&' for IPC. Thanks to Juergen Kahrs for the initial
    code.

18. With `--enable-portals' on the configure command line, gawk will also
    treat file names that start with `/p/' as a 4.4 BSD type portal file,
    i.e., a two-way pipe for `|&'.

19. Unrecognized escapes, such as "\q" now always generate a warning.

20. The LINT variable is new; it provides dynamic control over the --lint
    option.

21. Lint warnings can be made fatal by using --lint=fatal or `LINT = "fatal"'.
    Use this if you're really serious about portable code.

22. Due to an enhanced sed script, there is no longer any need to worry
    about finding or using alloca.  alloca.c is thus now gone.

23. A number of lint warnings have been added.  Most notably, gawk will
    detect if a variable is used before assigned to.  Warnings for
    when a string that isn't a number gets converted to a number are
    in the code but disabled; they seem to be too picky in practice.

    Also, gawk will now warn about function parameter names that shadow
    global variable names.

24. It is now possible to dynamically add builtin functions on systems
    that support dlopen. This facility is not (yet) as portable or well
    integrated as it might be.  *** WARNING *** THIS FEATURE WILL EVOLVE!

25. There are *many* new tests in the test suite.

26. Profiling has been added!  A separate version of gawk, named pgawk, is
    built and generates a run-time execution profile.  The --profile option
    can be used to change the default output file.   In regular gawk, this
    option pretty-prints the parse tree.

27. Gawk has been internationalized, using GNU gettext.  Translations for
    future distributions are most welcome.  Simultaneously, gawk was switched
    over to using automake.  You need Automake 1.4a (from the CVS archive)
    if you want to muck with the Makefile.am files.

28. New asort() function for sorting arrays.  See the doc for details.

29. The match function takes an optional array third argument to hold
    the text matched by parenthesized sub-expressions.

30. The bit op functions and octal and hex source code constants are on by
    default, no longer a configure-time option.  Recognition of non-decimal
    data is now enabled at runtime with --non-decimal-data command line option.

31. Internationalization features available at the awk level: new TEXTDOMAIN
    variable and bindtextdomain() and dcgettext() functions. printf formats
    may contain the "%2$3.5d" kind of notation for use in translations.  See
    the texinfo manual for details.

32. The return value from close() has been rationalized.  Most notably,
    closing something that wasn't open returns -1 but remains non-fatal.

33. The array effeciency change from 3.0.5 was reverted; the semantics were
    not right.  Additionally, index values of previously stored elements
    can no longer change dynamically.

34. The new option --dump-variables dumps a list of all global variables and
    their final types and values to a file you give, or to `awkvars.out'.

35. Gawk now uses a recent version of random.c courtesy of the FreeBSD
    project.

36. The gawk source code now uses ANSI C function definitions (new style),
    with ansi2knr to translate code for old compilers.

37. `for (iggy in foo)' loops should be more robust now in the face of
    adding/deleting elements in the middle; they loop over just the elements
    that are present in the array when the loop starts.
--
Arnold Robbins                  | If There's More Than One Way To Do It,
Guest account at Emory Math/CS  | then why is there only one implementation

                                |       -- Arnold Robbins

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:02:18 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

Quote:
>This note is to announce the second BETA release of version 3.1 of gawk. It is
>available from ftp://ftp.freefriends.org/arnold/gawk/gawk-3.0.98.tar.gz.

>This release fixes a number of bugs, almost all of which have been posted
>previously.  More importantly, there is a large number of new features
>in this release, the first major release in approximately five years!
>The relevant part of NEWS is appended below.

Great work Arnold ;-)

On behalf of us awk users many (many) thanks
I know that we, and our clients/users, will reap the benefit
of your efforts

Quite a few of us run under Windows/dos platforms and it
has always been a struggle to find a gawk.exe at any of
the well-known sites.

So...
If anyone does produce an .exe could they share it with us
I would be happy to store it on Open-software platform
that I work with/for

Thanks
Mark
---
Mark Katz
Mark-IT, London. Delivering MR-IT/Internet solutions
Tel: (44) 20-8731 7516, Fax: (44) 20-8458 9554; http://www.mark-it.co.uk

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 01:32:27 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

>Quite a few of us run under Windows/dos platforms and it
>has always been a struggle to find a gawk.exe at any of
>the well-known sites.

(Just because I'm in kind of an inquisitive mood)

Questions:
        1) Given that I know you to be a TAWK user, I'm curious as to why
you're interested in GAWK.  I'm (really) not trying to start any flame war
here, but I am moved to ask what GAWK can do that TAWK doesn't.  And, to
answer my own question, I can think of two things (both of which are pretty
non-essential, IMHO):
            a) Unlimited line length (TAWK still has a limit of 32K, I
               believe) - in theory at least.  In practice, this has never
               been an issue for me.
            b) FIELDWIDTHS is neat.  The TAWK equivalent (unpack) is not
               as elegant (but is functionally equivalent).

        2) If you get and install MINGWIN32, which is quite easy, building
           GAWK is a no-brainer.  Note that getting Cygwin up and going is a
           bit trickier, but MINGWIN is a "it just works" thing.

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 03:29:03 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available
>but I am moved to ask what GAWK can do that TAWK doesn't.

Maybe because gawk is free (in both senses) while TAWK isn't?

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 05:52:48 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

>>but I am moved to ask what GAWK can do that TAWK doesn't.

>Maybe because gawk is free (in both senses) while TAWK isn't?

I will abstain from catty comments to the effect that "real
programmers/developers are willing to pay for quality tools" and just point
out that my previous comments started with "I know that you (Mark Katz) are
a TAWK user"...

The point being that he is known to already be over the hump, so to speak.
Non-TAWK users need not contribute to this thread.

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:53:20 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

>I will abstain from catty comments to the effect that "real
>programmers/developers are willing to pay for quality tools" . . .

So by implication gawk isn't a quality tool?

Quote:
>Non-TAWK users need not contribute to this thread.

Need vs want vs whim - learn the distinction.

You want to keep tangential discussions private, use e-mail. Otherwise enjoy
the pleasures of a COMMUNITY forum where anyone can {*filter*}in when they want
to.

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 07:14:56 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available
Actually he would be refraining from saying that all gnu tools are not quality
tools and no real programmers use them.

> >I will abstain from catty comments to the effect that "real
> >programmers/developers are willing to pay for quality tools" . . .

> So by implication gawk isn't a quality tool?

> >Non-TAWK users need not contribute to this thread.

> Need vs want vs whim - learn the distinction.

> You want to keep tangential discussions private, use e-mail. Otherwise enjoy
> the pleasures of a COMMUNITY forum where anyone can {*filter*}in when they want
> to.

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 07:28:42 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available

>>Quite a few of us run under Windows/dos platforms and it
>>has always been a struggle to find a gawk.exe at any of
>>the well-known sites.

>(Just because I'm in kind of an inquisitive mood)

>Questions:
>        1) Given that I know you to be a TAWK user, I'm curious as to why
>you're interested in GAWK.  I'm (really) not trying to start any flame war
>here, but I am moved to ask what GAWK can do that TAWK doesn't.

Portability

I am writing some software that will be made available 'free'
under the opensurvey initiative.  http://www.opensurvey.org

It needs to run on a number of platforms including dos, unix, linux
dec/vms (and perhaps various hp flavours)

Tawk's main benefit to me is that it generate executables

Apart from that - nothing sinister.....

Quote:
>        2) If you get and install MINGWIN32, which is quite easy, building
>           GAWK is a no-brainer.

I'm not fussy, but I am reluctant to try new things (over the hump??)
so any executable is fine

Thanks
Mark
---
Mark Katz
Mark-IT, London. Delivering MR-IT/Internet solutions
Tel: (44) 20-8731 7516, Fax: (44) 20-8458 9554; http://www.mark-it.co.uk

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:12:51 GMT
 Second beta of gawk 3.1 now available
: Great work Arnold ;-)

     Let me add my "amen" to those commendations.  Thanks also.

: On behalf of us awk users many (many) thanks
: I know that we, and our clients/users, will reap the benefit
: of your efforts

: Quite a few of us run under Windows/dos platforms and it
: has always been a struggle to find a gawk.exe at any of
: the well-known sites.

   The only version of awk I use is GNU awk under Windows 95,
so I also would appreciate an precompiled *.EXE of the beta
version.  If anyone has done so, please e-mail it to me or else
point me to a site where I can download the beta version. Thanx.

Eric Pement - sed FAQ maintainer

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:23:22 GMT

1. beta test version of patch 2 to gawk 3.1 available

2. gawk 3.0.95, beta for gawk 3.1.0, now available

3. Patch #1 to gawk 3.1 now available

4. ANNOUNCE: GroupKit 3.1 Beta 2 release available

5. 2nd Beta of gawk 3.1.2 now available for testing

6. public beta of next gawk release now available

7. Second beta release of d2c CodeWarrior plugin available

8. ANNOUNCE: tkpvm1.0 second beta release available.

9. Gawk 3.1: What are adump and stopme?

10. I'm trying to get a gawk (3.1) executable for sun/solaris

11. GAWK 3.1 getline Timeout

12. Gawk 3.1 new feature list