Top 10 posters
Author Message
 Top 10 posters

Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-06-18.
(comp.lang.awk)

     posts kbytes  name                         address

       ---  -----
        60  145.6  Total for top 10

Totals for the newsgroup:
  62 posters
  136 articles
  353.9 kbytes

The top 10 accounted for:
 16.1% of the posters
 44.1% of the articles
 41.1% of the bytes

Averages:
  2.2 articles / poster
  2.6 kbytes / article
  5.7 kbytes / poster

Fri, 05 Dec 2003 06:26:12 GMT
 Top 10 posters
Nice statistic!

How did you realize that? Is it an AWK-Script? If so, I would really
like to see it!

Best,
Karsten Weinert.

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:34:45 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:
> Nice statistic!

> How did you realize that? Is it an AWK-Script? If so, I would really
> like to see it!

> Best,
> Karsten Weinert.

If you were in the "TOP 10", than you would know!!! ;-)

Luuk

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:33:43 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

> Nice statistic!

> How did you realize that? Is it an AWK-Script? If so, I would really
> like to see it!

> Best,
> Karsten Weinert.

Hello,

it's a shell script using lots of awk, written by Heiner Steven,
I modified it a bit to additional output the rank and changed some
date issues to be POSIX compatible, you should find the original version
on: oase-shareware.org.

However, you may need to run some kind of nntp server, to have the
groups
you want to check available.

And be aware, that you need a fast machine if you want to run it on many
groups, or it'll take half the day...

Michael Heiming

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:11:07 GMT
 Top 10 posters
Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-06-24.
(comp.lang.awk)

     posts kbytes  name                         address

       ---  -----
        50   89.8  Total for top 10

Totals for the newsgroup:
  35 posters
  87 articles
  194.3 kbytes

The top 10 accounted for:
 28.6% of the posters
 57.5% of the articles
 46.2% of the bytes

Averages:
  2.5 articles / poster
  2.2 kbytes / article
  5.6 kbytes / poster

5 people posted for the first time this period.
They went on to post 7 articles altogether

The new posters accounted for:
   14.3% of the posters
    8.0% of the articles
    4.6% of the bytes

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:23:01 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:
>Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-06-24.
>(comp.lang.awk)

>     posts kbytes  name                         address

>       ---  -----
>        50   89.8  Total for top 10

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of these posts?  I'm not
objecting, mind you, just curious.  I imagine that what happened is that
somebody, somewhere, for some reason, wrote a program to gather these stats
and started doing it in some groups, and then other people jumped on the
bandwagon, and so on.

Again, I don't have a problem with it, but I am curious what purpose is
being served.  It seems there is some vague implication that those of us on
the list are somehow spending too much of our lives posting to Usenet, but
I'm too old to worry about such trivia.

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:09:17 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

> >Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-06-24.
> >(comp.lang.awk)

> >     posts kbytes  name                         address

> >       ---  -----
> >        50   89.8  Total for top 10

> Just out of curiosity, what is the point of these posts?  I'm not
> objecting, mind you, just curious.  I imagine that what happened is that
> somebody, somewhere, for some reason, wrote a program to gather these stats
> and started doing it in some groups, and then other people jumped on the
> bandwagon, and so on.

> Again, I don't have a problem with it, but I am curious what purpose is
> being served.  It seems there is some vague implication that those of us on
> the list are somehow spending too much of our lives posting to Usenet, but
> I'm too old to worry about such trivia.

Hello,

looks like you wrote and you're on the second place...:-)

It's just fun of having those lists, no real purpose...

Michael Heiming

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:15:26 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:
> Hello,

> looks like you wrote and you're on the second place...:-)

> It's just fun of having those lists, no real purpose...

> Michael Heiming

The volume of posts here isn't that high, so perhaps do this
monthly rather than weekly?

cheers,
Andrew

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:15:56 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

> The volume of posts here isn't that high, so perhaps do this
> monthly rather than weekly?

> cheers,
> Andrew

Good idea, I'll start posting this "top ten" list every 2 weeks, however
I'll
sub some of my own posts next time, or I'll be perhaps on number one,
just
because of this thread...:-)

Regards

Michael Heiming

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:02:41 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

>> The volume of posts here isn't that high, so perhaps do this
>> monthly rather than weekly?

>> cheers,
>> Andrew

>Good idea, I'll start posting this "top ten" list every 2 weeks,
>however I'll sub some of my own posts next time, or I'll be perhaps on
>number one, just because of this thread...:-)

>Regards

>Michael Heiming

I suppose asking (again) what the point of this is - is like asking a
graffiti artist what the point is (in spraying a building or subway car)

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:15:46 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

>I suppose asking (again) what the point of this is -

It's interesting?

Quote:
>is like asking a graffiti artist what the point is (in spraying a
>building or subway car)

Usually to promote the idea of social change in some way.

        - Dan C.

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:38:28 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

> >> The volume of posts here isn't that high, so perhaps do this
> >> monthly rather than weekly?

> >> cheers,
> >> Andrew

> >Good idea, I'll start posting this "top ten" list every 2 weeks,
> >however I'll sub some of my own posts next time, or I'll be perhaps on
> >number one, just because of this thread...:-)

> >Regards

> >Michael Heiming

> I suppose asking (again) what the point of this is - is like asking a
> graffiti artist what the point is (in spraying a building or subway car)

It's fun again, you wrote you would have no problems with this, now I
feel
you do have, Andrew suggested to post the list because of the low
traffic
on cla, not every week, that's a good idea. However, if there is a
majority
of regular posters on this ng, who dislike a "top ten list", I won't
post it any more, the funniest reply until now:...:-)

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 00:01:17 +0200, Michael Heiming

Quote:
>Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-06-04.
>(comp.os.linux.networking)

>     posts kbytes  name                      address

Nobody is going to challenge Dean 'ironman' Thompson :/

--
Hal B

--

Just let me know.

Regards

Michael Heiming

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:55:54 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

> It's fun again, you wrote you would have no problems with this, now I
> feel
> you do have, Andrew suggested to post the list because of the low
> traffic
> on cla, not every week, that's a good idea. However, if there is a
> majority
> of regular posters on this ng, who dislike a "top ten list", I won't
> post it any more, the funniest reply until now:...:-)

I always liked looking at the stats.  I am sure most people either like them
or are indifferent.  Those who don't like them at all don't have to read
them...

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:00:41 GMT
 Top 10 posters
Quote:

> I always liked looking at the stats.  I am sure most people either like them
> or are indifferent.  Those who don't like them at all don't have to read
> them...

My co-worker really likes this stuff (right, Chris?).
You're at least able to figure out how much stuff people are writing...

--
Rafal M. Sulejman
Written at:

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:15:01 GMT
 Top 10 posters

Quote:

>> It's fun again, you wrote you would have no problems with this, now I
>> feel
>> you do have, Andrew suggested to post the list because of the low
>> traffic
>> on cla, not every week, that's a good idea. However, if there is a
>> majority
>> of regular posters on this ng, who dislike a "top ten list", I won't
>> post it any more, the funniest reply until now:...:-)

>I always liked looking at the stats.  I am sure most people either like them
>or are indifferent.  Those who don't like them at all don't have to read
>them...

Hey, it's a small ego stroke, and it lets newbies infer which people
know whar they're talking about.

Note, I said infer, not know.  :-)

Besides, I'm always curious as to whether I made the list.  :-)

Chuck Demas

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:51:48 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-07-08

2. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-09-17.

3. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-09-09.

4. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-08-26.

5. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-08-13.

6. Top 10 posters for the 14 day period ending 2001-07-29.

7. Top 10 Language Constructs (Smalltalk)

8. Top 10 Language Constructs (Forth)

9. Top 10 Reasons Not to Use a Java Debugger in School

10. Top 10 uses for Miranda

11. Top 10 Language Constructs (Modula2)

12. Top 10 Language Constructs (Oberon)