GAWK and the networking extensions: Future plans?
Author Message
 GAWK and the networking extensions: Future plans?

I know that Gawk 3.1 (due out "real soon now") will have the networking
extensions built in as a supported feature (*).  My question is: Are there
any plans to go beyond the basic support available now (in the "networking
diffs"), including:

        1) Non-blocking I/O (I.e., select()))
        2) Ability to simultaneously listen on multiple ports (I.e., select()))

On a related note, ISTR that there were hints that it would be possible to
call OS functions from within GAWK code (like in TAWK) - which might
mitigate the need for the above features.  What's the status on that?

(*) Which will mean, among other things, that it should be possible to
build it on Solaris w/o having to build and install GNU autoconf and GNU m4
as prerequisites.

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 05:57:04 GMT
 GAWK and the networking extensions: Future plans?

Quote:

>My question is: Are there any plans to go beyond the basic support
>available now (in the "networking diffs"), including:

>    1) Non-blocking I/O (I.e., select()))
>    2) Ability to simultaneously listen on multiple ports (I.e., select()))

No plans for select.  I don't see how to do that within an awk model.
It's also significant work internally within gawk.

Quote:
>On a related note, ISTR that there were hints that it would be possible to
>call OS functions from within GAWK code (like in TAWK) - which might
>mitigate the need for the above features.  What's the status on that?

You can write your own "builtin" functions that can be loaded at
run time from shared library files.  The feature is documented but
is extremely immature and very likely to change substantially for 3.2
(or 4.0 or whatever it will be called).

Knowledge of gawk internals will be very helpful for writing
extensions if you're going to use this as it exists now.

Quote:
>(*) Which will mean, among other things, that it should be possible to
>build it on Solaris w/o having to build and install GNU autoconf and GNU m4
>as prerequisites.

Anyone with autoconf and GNU m4 who wants to apply the patch and then
make a fresh dist is welcome to do so. `make dist' ought to do it.
But the directory it extracts to and the tarball should have different
names.

Arnold
--
Arnold Robbins                  | If There's More Than One Way To Do It,
Guest account at Emory Math/CS  | then why is there only one implementation

                                |       -- Arnold Robbins

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:50:49 GMT

1. Mops and Yerk future plans

2. Mops and Yerk future plans

3. Future plans of Oberon/F ?

4. COBOL - Plan now to take part in its future

5. COBOL - Plan now to take part in its future

6. Future plans for Microsoft compilers

7. plans for future releases

8. Plans for Future releases

9. incr tcl: what is the future plan?

10. Bug in the gawk networking patch

11. gawk-3.0.6-networking-diffs

12. UNOFFICIAL networking patch for gawk 3.0.4 now available