                Seattle Perl Users Group
                     July Meeting

    Title: "Minimal Perl for the Impatient"

  Speaker: Tim Maher
           Head Software Instructor, CONSULTIX
           POB 70563, Seattle WA 98107

            http://www.*-*-*.com/
           (206) 781-UNIX/8649

     Time: July 17th, 2001 (Third Tuesday), 7pm-9pm
 Location: Union Bank of Cal., Madison & 5th, 5th Floor Mtg Room
     Cost: Free!

Situation: Rehearsal for 8/2/01 offering at YAPC::Europe, Amsterdam

Target Audience

Anyone who doesn't already know Perl, needs to do simple data
processing, and has a logical mindset can benefit from attending.

This tutorial is particularly well suited to individuals of the
following types:

   o Non-Programmers (poets, managers, etc.)  who want to do simple
     data processing tasks, but without learning too much or thinking
     too hard, and

   o Programmers who already know a language or two, and want to learn
     just enough Perl to gain access to some of its special
     capabilities.

Prerequisites

Prior experience with programming is helpful, but anyone with a
logical mindset can benefit from attending.

Course Philosophy

Perl is a wonderful language, that offers programmers a rich feature
set, huge stylistic and syntactic liberties, and many ways to
accomplish the same thing.  But for the impatient beginner, these
characteristics can translate into "too many complications, too much
uncertainty, and too many choices."  Although Perl's motto is "There's
More Than One Way to Do It", this tutorial will teach students only
one way -- the "Easiest Way"!

What Attendees Will Learn

Students will learn a carefully selected minimal subset of Perl that
gives immediate access to some of its powerful capabilities, and
serves as a solid foundation for additional learning.  The tutorial's
approach is based on the "Pattern/Action" model of programming, as
featured in the influential AWK language.

Upon completion of the tutorial, students will have the necessary
skills to convert files, validate data, generate simple reports, and
perform numerical calculations in Perl.

Author & Instructor

During the last two decades, Dr. Tim Maher has taught programming to
thousands of high-tech professionals.  As a Professor of Computer
Science, and later as a Software Instructor for AT&T, Sun, DEC, HP,
and CONSULTIX, Dr. Maher has consistently earned acclaim for his
highly effective and entertaining style of course development and
presentation.

|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.             Tel: (206) 781-UNIX    |

|  Seattle Perl Users Group    HTTP: seattleperl.com   |

*==========================================================================*
|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |

|  TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl   DAMIAN CONWAY: Adv. Perl   COLIN MEYER: Perl/DBI |
|  *We are currently scheduling On-Site Classes on UNIX and Perl topics!*  |
*==========================================================================*

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:26:48 GMT
 "Minimal Perl", Seattle July 17

Sorry, forgot to tell you the SPUG web-site, which has more info:

www.zipcon.net/~spug

-Tim

Quote:

--
*==========================================================================*
|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |

|  TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl   DAMIAN CONWAY: Adv. Perl   COLIN MEYER: Perl/DBI |
|  *We are currently scheduling On-Site Classes on UNIX and Perl topics!*  |
*==========================================================================*

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:10:43 GMT
 "Minimal Perl", Seattle July 17

And for more info, see the SPUG web-site: http://www.zipcon.net/~spug

-iIm

Quote:

--
*==========================================================================*
|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |

|  TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl   DAMIAN CONWAY: Adv. Perl   COLIN MEYER: Perl/DBI |
|  *We are currently scheduling On-Site Classes on UNIX and Perl topics!*  |
*==========================================================================*

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:12:07 GMT
 "Minimal Perl", Seattle July 17

Quote:

>         Seattle Perl Users Group
>                      July Meeting

>     Title: "Minimal Perl for the Impatient"

>   Speaker: Tim Maher
>            Head Software Instructor, CONSULTIX
>            POB 70563, Seattle WA 98107

>            http://www.consultix-inc.com
>            (206) 781-UNIX/8649

>      Time: July 17th, 2001 (Third Tuesday), 7pm-9pm
>  Location: Union Bank of Cal., Madison & 5th, 5th Floor Mtg Room
>      Cost: Free!

> Situation: Rehearsal for 8/2/01 offering at YAPC::Europe, Amsterdam

> Target Audience

> Anyone who doesn't already know Perl, needs to do simple data
> processing, and has a logical mindset can benefit from attending.

> This tutorial is particularly well suited to individuals of the
> following types:

>    o Non-Programmers (poets, managers, etc.)  who want to do simple
>      data processing tasks, but without learning too much or thinking
>      too hard, and

>    o Programmers who already know a language or two, and want to learn
>      just enough Perl to gain access to some of its special
>      capabilities.

> Prerequisites

> Prior experience with programming is helpful, but anyone with a
> logical mindset can benefit from attending.

> Course Philosophy

> Perl is a wonderful language, that offers programmers a rich feature
> set, huge stylistic and syntactic liberties, and many ways to
> accomplish the same thing.  But for the impatient beginner, these
> characteristics can translate into "too many complications, too much
> uncertainty, and too many choices."  Although Perl's motto is "There's
> More Than One Way to Do It", this tutorial will teach students only
> one way -- the "Easiest Way"!

> What Attendees Will Learn

> Students will learn a carefully selected minimal subset of Perl that
> gives immediate access to some of its powerful capabilities, and
> serves as a solid foundation for additional learning.  The tutorial's
> approach is based on the "Pattern/Action" model of programming, as
> featured in the influential AWK language.

> Upon completion of the tutorial, students will have the necessary
> skills to convert files, validate data, generate simple reports, and
> perform numerical calculations in Perl.

> Author & Instructor

> During the last two decades, Dr. Tim Maher has taught programming to
> thousands of high-tech professionals.  As a Professor of Computer
> Science, and later as a Software Instructor for AT&T, Sun, DEC, HP,
> and CONSULTIX, Dr. Maher has consistently earned acclaim for his
> highly effective and entertaining style of course development and
> presentation.

> |  Tim Maher, Ph.D.             Tel: (206) 781-UNIX    |

> |  Seattle Perl Users Group    HTTP: seattleperl.com   |

I give - why a 7/22 notice of a 7/17 free tutorial?

Bert

Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:12:34 GMT
 "Minimal Perl", Seattle July 17

Quote:

>I give - why a 7/22 notice of a 7/17 free tutorial?

According to my news server, the original was posted on 7/12.

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:42:15 GMT
 "Minimal Perl", Seattle July 17

>>I give - why a 7/22 notice of a 7/17 free tutorial?

>According to my news server, the original was posted on 7/12.

Making the later postings ghost spam or undead spam?

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:27:58 GMT

1. bastardization of "SRFI-17: Generalized set!"

2. "Jobs - Visual Age ST Seattle"

3. Can tcl/tk do "minimal decor"?

4. "Seattle-Contract-Smalltalk"

5. Micro Focus Users group meeting, Seattle, October 17

6. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

7. Camp Smalltalk 2: July 17-20 in Annapolis

8. six driver and july 17,2000

9. Qualis Top-Down Design With Verilog Course: July 17-21

10. CFCSEIC News Briefs Week Ending July 17, 1998

11. POPLOG USER GROUP CONFERENCE - OXFORD UNIVERSITY July 17-18

12. Tcl/Tk Workshop July 14-17