GAWK: setting --re-interval from within the program
Author Message
 GAWK: setting --re-interval from within the program

<snip>

Quote:
> Yes, I think that will work.  On a related note (and yet, completely
> different), I don't think there is any way to enable "re-interval"
either
> from within a program (script) or from a #! enabled script.  This
kinda
> bugs me and I have often wished that re-interval was on by default.
Why
> isn't it???

From the gawk3.0.6 manual, here's why:

<quote>
-W re-interval
--re-interval

Allow interval expressions (see Regular Expression Operators), in
regexps.  Because interval expressions were traditionally not available
in awk, gawk does not provide them by default. This prevents old awk
programs from breaking.
</quote>

The functionality is also switched on by using the --posix command line
option or, what I think you need Kenny, by setting the environment
variable POSIXLY_CORRECT after which gawk works in full POSIX mode.

Quote:
> Of course, I have the source, and I'm considering putting together a
patch
> to have a "magic variable" in your script that would turn it on.

It would be useful to be able to set some options from within the BEGIN
block: I wonder why it has never been implemented?

HTH
--
Peter S Tillier
peter dot tillier at btinternet dot com

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:19:34 GMT

1. 12TET Musical 3-Interval-String/6-Interval Cell/Set Non-Redundancy Permutation Ordering Problem:

2. Iteration within specific intervals?

3. Setting up an internal clock to take data acquisition at one minute intervals

4. Setting up an internal clock to take data acquisition at one minute intervals

5. Problem with consecutive running of a gawk script within a loop

6. Hex numbers within gawk: How?

7. How to program set(X) + set(a) = set(X)

8. How to program set(X) + set(a) = set(X)

9. post-ILPS'95 workshop on Interval Constraints: program

10. Calling FoxPro program from within Clipper program

11. Calling REXX programs from within an assembler program

12. executing dos program within program