long line too long?
Author Message
 long line too long?

I have this database file that has a lot of fields.  About 2 thousand records.

I tried to print a few columns but I got an error about the line being too long.
I don't have the exact error message because I didn't record it.

Does anyone know the line length limit for awk?

Wed, 23 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 long line too long?

Quote:

> I have this database file that has a lot of fields.  About 2 thousand records.

> I tried to print a few columns but I got an error about the line being too long.
> I don't have the exact error message because I didn't record it.

> Does anyone know the line length limit for awk?

3000 characters

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 long line too long?

% > I have this database file that has a lot of fields.  About 2 thousand records.
[...]
% > Does anyone know the line length limit for awk?
% 3000 characters

Or more, or less, depending on the version of awk you're running. On this
machine, I have gawk 2.15, which handles 6000 characters and 3000 fields with
no trouble, mawk 1.3, which handles that same file with no trouble, and
Brian Kernighan's current awk, which handles it if you give the correct
command-line options.

If you need to handle more fields or longer lines than your current awk
executable, there are others readily available which can do the job for
you.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 long line too long?

Quote:

>> I have this database file that has a lot of fields.  About 2
>> thousand records.

>> I tried to print a few columns but I got an error about the line
>> being too long.  I don't have the exact error message because I
>> didn't record it.

>> Does anyone know the line length limit for awk?
>3000 characters

Gawk, at least, handles lines at least an order of magnitude longer
than this (it's a disgrace that awk has a maximum line length).  In
fact, on our Solaris system, we have to use gawk to count the number
of records of a certain type in a file rather than grep and wc since
grep also has a maximum line length.  It really is beyond belief...

Ralph
--

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 long line too long?

: >>
: >> I have this database file that has a lot of fields.  About 2
: >> thousand records.
: >>
: >> I tried to print a few columns but I got an error about the line
: >> being too long.  I don't have the exact error message because I
: >> didn't record it.
: >>
: >> Does anyone know the line length limit for awk?
: >3000 characters

: Gawk, at least, handles lines at least an order of magnitude longer
: than this (it's a disgrace that awk has a maximum line length).  In
: fact, on our Solaris system, we have to use gawk to count the number

Some greps/wc's, at least the grep I tried (gnu grep)
had no problem with 23 meg line lengths. I stopped it after that, as
it was starting to swap.
(grep 'fish$' /dev/zero)

: of records of a certain type in a file rather than grep and wc since
: grep also has a maximum line length.  It really is beyond belief...

Indeed.

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. long lines, long string

2. How to make a Python Long from a long long in an extension

3. A long long time !!

4. longer long variables

5. long = short*short ; (short,short) = long/short

6. A Critique of Rexx [no longer long]

7. Gnu's long long in Verilog-XL VPI

8. Does python support long longs?

9. DCOracle not handling Oracle LONG/LONG RAW datatype

10. Using binary scan on values of type long long