Parameter list is too long (error)
Author Message
 Parameter list is too long (error)

I am developing an awk script that has grown in complexity.  I am now receiving
the above captioned error when I attempt to execute the awk program.

If I delete a simple print/printf statement, the error goes away.  If I add the
statement back the error returns.  It doesn't really seem to be parameter
related.

I'm running awk on HPUX.  Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parameter list is too long (error)

Quote:

> I am developing an awk script that has grown in complexity.  I am
> now receiving the above captioned error when I attempt to execute
> the awk program.  If I delete a simple print/printf statement, the
> error goes away.  If I add the statement back the error returns.  It
> doesn't really seem to be parameter related.  I'm running awk on HPUX.

Are you sure the error is being returned by AWK, rather than by the shell?

--

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parameter list is too long (error)

Ken

Quote:

> % I am developing an awk script that has grown in complexity.  I am now receiving
> % the above captioned error when I attempt to execute the awk program.

> If your script is like this:

>  #!/usr/bin/ksh
>  awk '...' $*

> then try changing it to be like this:
>  #!/usr/bin/awk -f
>  ... # whatever the script is

> If your script is like this:
>  #!/usr/bin/ksh
>  awk '...' file1 file2 file3

> then try changing it to be like this:
>  #!/usr/bin/awk -f
>  BEGIN { ARGC=4; ARGV[1] = "file1"; ARGV[2] = "file2"; ARGV[3] = "file3" }
>  ... # whatever the script is

> If it really has to be part of the shell script, think about breaking it
> out anyway, because it's too long for the shell.

> --

> Patrick TJ McPhee
> East York  Canada

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parameter list is too long (error)

Quote:
> Something about this rings a bell. Isn't there a limit to the size of
> scripts for awk under some versions of UNIX? I believe the solution is
> to use nawk. As a general principle I never use awk anyhow because there
> is no satisfactory reason for choosing it over nawk.

> Ken

The original person having the problem reported he was working
on HPUX,  where awk is nawk.

--
Dan Mercer

Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parameter list is too long (error)
You could also try the gnu version of awk, gawk.

Regards
Svein Fossdal

Quote:

> I am developing an awk script that has grown in complexity.  I am now receiving
> the above captioned error when I attempt to execute the awk program.

> If I delete a simple print/printf statement, the error goes away.  If I add the
> statement back the error returns.  It doesn't really seem to be parameter
> related.

> I'm running awk on HPUX.  Any comments appreciated.

> Thanks.

Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. unknown error : arg list too long

2. Ada 0y wish list: parameters of package parameters

3. Turning a list value in a parameter into a list for eval without quasiquote/unquote

4. Art and all that Jazz: i am crudely long, so I burn you

5. APP Open error 11: Parameter typing error

6. Unknown Error Posted:6:Parameter Typing Error

7. Unknown Error Posted: 10: Parameter typing error

8. Unknown error: 6: Parameter typing error?

9. CW2.0 error 10: Parameter typing error

10. Long parameter problem

11. Is it possible to have long parameter arrays?

12. How to make a Python Long from a long long in an extension