comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal
Author Message
 comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

I received such message:

Quote:
> As many of you are aware, this newsgroup is slated
> for removal on January 31st, 2002.  The vote was
> taken at the end of last year, and there was a large
> marjority who wants to see this group removed.
> If you are a regular reader, you need to make other arrangements.
> --

Is it true ? Or it is a joke ? It's my favourite newsgroup :(

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:16:24 GMT
 comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal
        In Article 21411 of comp.lang.awk, "Levin A.A."

Quote:

> I received such message:

> > As many of you are aware, this newsgroup is slated
> > for removal on January 31st, 2002.  The vote was
> > taken at the end of last year, and there was a large
> > marjority who wants to see this group removed.

> > If you are a regular reader, you need to make other arrangements.

> > --

> Is it true ? Or it is a joke ? It's my favourite newsgroup :(

        This notice was posted to a number of different
newsgroups on the same day.  Different names were used but the
address was always the same.  What I found curious was the
reference to a vote having been taken yet I never saw any CFV or
even RFD on the matter for any of the groups supposedly slated
for removal.  Someone in another group posted asking who let
so-and-so out so they could wreck havock on the newsgroup.
Can't say therefore whether this is a hoax or if it is true.  If
it is true, I'd like to know what criteria the administrators
used to decide this group should be removed and why there wasn't
a RFD or CFV on the matter.

                                        Dave

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 20:14:24 GMT
 comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

Quote:

>Is it true ? Or it is a joke ? It's my favourite newsgroup :(

It's a hoax; an attempt to flood news.admin.net-abuse.email with responses.
Note the 'Followup-To:' header.

        John
--

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:01:19 GMT
 comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

Quote:
>    In Article 21411 of comp.lang.awk, "Levin A.A."

>> I received such message:
>> > As many of you are aware, this newsgroup is slated
>> > for removal on January 31st, 2002.  The vote was
>> > taken at the end of last year, and there was a large
>> > marjority who wants to see this group removed.
>> > If you are a regular reader, you need to make other arrangements.
>> > --

>> Is it true ? Or it is a joke ? It's my favourite newsgroup :(

It's not true, and it's anything but a joke.

Quote:
> This notice was posted to a number of different newsgroups on the same
> day.  Different names were used but the address was always the same.
> What I found curious was the reference to a vote having been taken yet
> I never saw any CFV or even RFD on the matter for any of the groups
> supposedly slated for removal.  Someone in another group posted asking
> who let so-and-so out so they could wreck havock on the newsgroup.
> Can't say therefore whether this is a hoax or if it is true.  If it is
> true, I'd like to know what criteria the administrators used to decide
> this group should be removed and why there wasn't a RFD or CFV on the
> matter.

There are no such people as "Usenet Administrators" with overall
responsibility.  You probably missed the significance of the header
is to get clueless Usenetters (e.g., most of those using Outlook Express)
to send in indignant followups by the thousand, since this trick has been
perpetrated in thousands(?) of newsgroups.  These followups will mostly
be going to n.a.n.a.e, rendering that group unusable for some time.  It's
Usenet vandalism at its most sinister.

Quote:

--
Alan Mackenzie (MUnich, Germany)

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:43:10 GMT

1. comp.lang.awk, FINAL NOTICE of newsgroup removal

2. comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

3. comp.lang.asm370, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

4. comp.lang.asm370, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

5. comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

6. comp.lang.forth, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

7. comp.lang.logo, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

8. comp.lang.dylan, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

9. comp.lang.oberon, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

10. comp.lang.pl1, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

11. comp.lang.pop, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

12. comp.lang.rexx, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal