mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53
Author Message
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

If so, how do I unpack it?

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:18:21 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:
> Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
> mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

> If so, how do I unpack it?

hi

dont know whats inside this archive, but it is a gnu zipped tape
archive.
under unix/linux you can extract this

gzip -d mawk1.3.3.tar.gz | tar -xvf

HTH, cheers volker

--
Volker Enderlein                 Institut fuer Mechatronik e.V. an der
phone: +49 (0)371 5314681        Technischen Universitaet Chemnitz

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:25:23 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53
Hi

Sorry my reply did not answer your question. I suppose its a Unix
executable inside this compressed archive, and therefore you cant use
this under MSDOS 6.22.

HTH, cheers volker

--
Volker Enderlein                 Institut fuer Mechatronik e.V. an der
phone: +49 (0)371 5314681        Technischen Universitaet Chemnitz
fax  : +49 (0)371 5314669        Reichenhainer Strasse 88

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:39:41 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

> Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
> mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

It contains C sources, so you will have to compile it.
If you wish I can send you mawk112x.zip with binary form
(ca 100KB).

Quote:
> If so, how do I unpack it?

There are MS-DOS versions of tar and gzip available in
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/
or on your favorite GNU mirror.
--
HQ

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:57:32 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

> > Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
> > mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

> It contains C sources, so you will have to compile it.
> If you wish I can send you mawk112x.zip with binary form
> (ca 100KB).

No, that won't be neccessary, but thanks.
I have a copy of either mawk 1.22 or 1.12, I don't remember
which (I'm not at my computer now). I just want to be sure
I have the latest version of mawk that works in real DOS.
I also read there is a bug in version 1.32 and I thought
is was probably fixed in version 1.33, but if it doesn't
work in DOS, I can't use it anyway.

Quote:
> > If so, how do I unpack it?
> There are MS-DOS versions of tar and gzip available in
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/
> or on your favorite GNU mirror.
> --

Thanks, I'll look for DOS versions of those archivers.

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:13:04 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53
Quote:

> but if it doesn't work in DOS, I can't use it anyway.

I'm sure it works, just .tar.gz doesn't contain *binaries*.
--
HQ

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:12:40 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

> > but if it doesn't work in DOS, I can't use it anyway.
> I'm sure it works, just .tar.gz doesn't contain *binaries*.
> --

But if I can't un-archive it in DOS, it still doesn't do
me any good. I don't want to have to compile either, I
like to get ready to run programs that I can download,
un-archive and run in real DOS, and without loading
something first :-). I need something fast and not too
large and probably mawk fits the bill. OK, I have mawk
version 1.2 according to mawk.doc, and it mentions no
additional numbers after 1.2. I guess I'll just use this
one.

--
<!-Outsider//->
MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Netscape Navigator 4.08

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:53:25 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

>> but if it doesn't work in DOS, I can't use it anyway.
>I'm sure it works, just .tar.gz doesn't contain *binaries*.

There's nothing that prevents tarballs from containing binaries. StarOffice
5.1 was distributed as a tarball containing binaries and installation files
(floppy disk images).

For the OP: some archive software handles tar.gz compressed tape archives,
but I'd guess they're all 32-bit applications, so can't be run in real mode
MS-DOS. However, there are DJGPP versions of gzip/gunzip and tar, so you
could use those. Here's a good site for descriptions and links.

http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/simtelnet/gnu/gnuish/gnuish.htm

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:22:52 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

> Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
> mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

> If so, how do I unpack it?

This file has sources (as others in this thread already have written).

Perhaps it may be of interest this quote from the readme inside the tar
ball:

"Version 1.3 implements a new internal design for arrays. See file
CHANGES.

Version 1.2.2 is best for MsDOS"

From my undertanding, the changes made in the design of ver 1.3 (which
1.3.3 is a subtle buf fix) would work better if compiled with a
protected mode DOS compiler (to get rid of the mem limitation in DOS).

If what you call real dos means in fact Real Mode DOS, no protected mode
and a 1Mb machine. You rather stick at the author's recommendation.

Otherwise, it could be interesting to decide if a binary for this
version should be compiled and if it is worthwhile to put it in some
public server (specially considering the availability of gawk for DOS
[DJGPP port]).

HTH

Cesar

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:33:16 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53
Quote:

>> I'm sure it works, just .tar.gz doesn't contain *binaries*.
> There's nothing that prevents tarballs from containing binaries.

Right, certainly, my English is not good enough ;-)
*The* mentioned package (mawk1.3.3.tar.gz) contains only sources.
--
HQ

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:28:35 GMT
 mawk1.3.3.tar.gz 209.942 22-02-01 9.53

Quote:

> > Can I downloaded and use this file in MS-DOS 6.22?
> > mawk1.3.3.tar.gz        209.942  22-02-01   9.53

> > If so, how do I unpack it?

> This file has sources (as others in this thread already have written).

> Perhaps it may be of interest this quote from the readme inside the tar
> ball:

> "Version 1.3 implements a new internal design for arrays. See file
> CHANGES.

> Version 1.2.2 is best for MsDOS"

> From my undertanding, the changes made in the design of ver 1.3 (which
> 1.3.3 is a subtle buf fix) would work better if compiled with a
> protected mode DOS compiler (to get rid of the mem limitation in DOS).

> If what you call real dos means in fact Real Mode DOS, no protected mode
> and a 1Mb machine. You rather stick at the author's recommendation.

> Otherwise, it could be interesting to decide if a binary for this
> version should be compiled and if it is worthwhile to put it in some
> public server (specially considering the availability of gawk for DOS
> [DJGPP port]).

I'll try working with the 1.2.2 version. Thanks :-).

--
<!-Outsider//->
MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Netscape Navigator 4.08
Your mouse has moved. Reboot computer for changes to take effect.

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:52:44 GMT

1. [incr Tcl] table widget v1.01 -- table-1.01.tar.gz

2. CW55.01, 02 CtlOLE.TPW Problem

3. HEX$ { 00 01 -- 02 03 -- 04 }

4. CA-Clipper 5.2E 01/02

5. 64 bit conversions and tables, v.01.02 sin/cos @ 30 clocks

6. Unzip .tar.gz files works... finally

7. FILE FORMATS Z, GZ, TAR, AND PS ?

8. file formats z, gz, tar, and ps ?

9. ruby-1.4.5.tar.gz archive bug?

10. Releasing long file anmes in .zip/.tar.gz?

11. ANNOUNCE: gnat-3.03-i386-next-nextstep3-bin.tar.gz available

12. file formats z, gz, tar and ps ?