looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1
Author Message
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
DOS/Windows:

   echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

If you try this with the Win32 versions, you'll get an error because
Win32 requires "double quotes."

I've looked on Simtel and on Delorie's website, and the latest
precompiled versions available are 3.0.6.  Somebody, please direct me
to a more recent compile for Win32 with DJGPP. Thanks. And when you
find the URL, please put it in the awk FAQ. Thanks again.

--
Eric Pement - pemente[=at=]northpark.edu

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:31 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

> I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
> but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
> supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
> DOS/Windows:

>    echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

> If you try this with the Win32 versions, you'll get an error because
> Win32 requires "double quotes."

> I've looked on Simtel and on Delorie's website, and the latest
> precompiled versions available are 3.0.6.  Somebody, please direct me
> to a more recent compile for Win32 with DJGPP. Thanks. And when you
> find the URL, please put it in the awk FAQ. Thanks again.

> --
> Eric Pement - pemente[=at=]northpark.edu

For tasks like this, have a look at Cygwin:

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

it is a unix-style environment for Win32 that comes with bash and of
course GNU awk. Scripting on Windows ( or the commandline interpreter in
general) is very painful, bash allows single quotes and of course
serious shell scripts on Windows
Er, I just saw that they have only version 3.0.4 precompiled for cygwin
- the new version should compile, but if you don't like downloading the
whole stuff ( ~ 60 MB for base system with gcc), just forget my posting :-(

Vale !
                Christianus Auriocus

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:24:05 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

>> I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
>> but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
>> supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
>> DOS/Windows:

>>    echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

>> If you try this with the Win32 versions, you'll get an error because
>> Win32 requires "double quotes."

>> I've looked on Simtel and on Delorie's website, and the latest
>> precompiled versions available are 3.0.6.  Somebody, please direct me
>> to a more recent compile for Win32 with DJGPP. Thanks. And when you
>> find the URL, please put it in the awk FAQ. Thanks again.

>> --
>> Eric Pement - pemente[=at=]northpark.edu

>For tasks like this, have a look at Cygwin:

>http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

>it is a unix-style environment for Win32 that comes with bash and of
>course GNU awk. Scripting on Windows ( or the commandline interpreter in
>general) is very painful, bash allows single quotes and of course
>serious shell scripts on Windows
>Er, I just saw that they have only version 3.0.4 precompiled for cygwin
>- the new version should compile, but if you don't like downloading the
>whole stuff ( ~ 60 MB for base system with gcc), just forget my posting :-(

Cygwin is indeed a good solution - but I get the feeling that the OP isn't
really interested in converting his DOS/batch system over to bash.
It is also true that although the best solution to the quoting problems
under COMMAND.COM is to get a better shell, it is possible to support Unix
style quoting at the application level, even when called from COMMAND.COM.
Thompson AWK does it, as apparently, does DJGPP (which I haven't used in
several years).  In theory, it ought to be possible to create a Win32
compile of GAWK that access the raw, unparsed command line (available at
PSP:80), and thus handle quotes sensibly.

BTW, gawk 3.1 does indeed ./configure;make out of the box under Cygwin and
it is a joy to behold (*).  But I can understand that people might not
want to d/l the entire Cygwin package and learn how to build Unix
programs just to get GAWK.  Therefore, I will provide binaries upon request.

(*) It is the DOS/Windows port that supports the networking features of GAWK.

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:14:43 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

> I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
> but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
> supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
> DOS/Windows:
>    echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

I've also looked around and didn't find one.  Have you had any luck
since your original posting?   (I also like to use the UNIX style
single-quotes around the command-line supplied script.)

 - Larry Weiss

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:48:30 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1
Quote:

> > I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
> > but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
> > supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
> > DOS/Windows:

> >    echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

[...]

Quote:
> For tasks like this, have a look at Cygwin:

> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

> it is a unix-style environment for Win32 that comes with bash and of
> course GNU awk. Scripting on Windows ( or the commandline interpreter in
> general) is very painful, bash allows single quotes and of course
> serious shell scripts on Windows

   I use 4DOS (http://www.jpsoft.com) which is a very powerful command
interpreter. I don't use COMMAND.COM and I'm not willing to change
from 4DOS, which I use daily. 4DOS has no problems with single quotes
on the command line; the error message is generated by awk/gawk.

Quote:
> Er, I just saw that they have only version 3.0.4 precompiled for cygwin
> - the new version should compile, but if you don't like downloading the
> whole stuff ( ~ 60 MB for base system with gcc), just forget my posting :-(

   Why should I download 60 megs of files to get a 1/2-meg archive?

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 07:36:29 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

> > I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
> > but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
> > supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
> > DOS/Windows:
> >    echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

> I've also looked around and didn't find one.  Have you had any luck
> since your original posting?   (I also like to use the UNIX style
> single-quotes around the command-line supplied script.)

>  - Larry Weiss

   So far (Jan 12), I have had no luck. I'm sticking with awk 3.0.6
for now. If somebody finds gawk 3.1 compiled with DJGPP, please e-mail
me directly. TIA.

--
Eric Pement - pemente[=at=]northpark.edu

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 07:38:58 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:
>I've found a couple of Win32 precompiled versions of GNU awk v3.1.0.1,
>but I have yet to find a DJGPP precompiled version anywhere. DJGPP
>supports Unix-style single quotes, and I want to do this in
>DOS/Windows:

>   echo one two | awk '{print $2}'

>If you try this with the Win32 versions, you'll get an error because
>Win32 requires "double quotes."

>I've looked on Simtel and on Delorie's website, and the latest
>precompiled versions available are 3.0.6.  Somebody, please direct me
>to a more recent compile for Win32 with DJGPP. Thanks. And when you
>find the URL, please put it in the awk FAQ. Thanks again.

>--
>Eric Pement - pemente[=at=]northpark.edu

Here's a copy of the gawk 3.1.0 executable which I compiled myself, size
302 kB.

http://www.cranley.demon.co.uk/alan/gawk.exe

I got the source from :-
ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/mirrors/gnu/gawk/gawk-3.1.0.tar.gz
size : 1.6 MB

but you should probably use your nearest gnu mirror site.

I recommend downloading it yourself if you want to get the rest of the
package including documentation and nice facilities such as igawk.
--
Alan Linton
please reply to the newsgroup only

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:17:28 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

> Here's a copy of the gawk 3.1.0 executable which I compiled myself, size
> 302 kB.
> http://www.cranley.demon.co.uk/alan/gawk.exe

So, how come this?
  gawk310: geturl.awk:21: fatal: `|&' not supported

--
  All true believers shall break their eggs at the convenient end.

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:11:23 GMT
 looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

Quote:

>> Here's a copy of the gawk 3.1.0 executable which I compiled myself, size
>> 302 kB.
>> http://www.cranley.demon.co.uk/alan/gawk.exe

>So, how come this?
>  gawk310: geturl.awk:21: fatal: `|&' not supported

Presumably, this was compiled with DJGPP, as the original poster requested.

Among the Win32 ports, only the Cygwin version (available at
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~gazelle/gawk-cyg.zip) supports networking
and |&.

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:19:40 GMT

1. DJGPP gawk and Windows 2000

2. Splitting the DJGPP gawk Docs?

3. Gawk (djgpp) 3.0.3 print error?

4. gawk v3.1 on cygwin

5. GAWK 3.0.95 - some questions/comments on PC compilation(s)

6. looking for windows NT/2000 binary for gawk 3.1.1 (or better)

7. Looking for NT awk/gawk

8. Gawk for win32 slower than Gawk for Dos_32?

9. Gawk bug, gawk won't nawk.

10. gawk 3.0.95, beta for gawk 3.1.0, now available

11. Look for XML Parsers for VA/Smalltalk V4.5 and VisualWorks V3.0

12. LOOKING FOR MS-DOS COBOL COMPILER v3.1