Which Awk?
Author Message
 Which Awk?

OK Plenty of opportunity for flame of holy war. I am respectfully
requesting neither. I am looking for expert opinion on a version of awk
I can standardize on. Looks like a significant portion of you guru types
lean towards current/recent gawk for richness of features,  POSIX
compliance, or other reasons. Is gawk my best bet across AIX, HP-UX,
linux, and (perhaps) NT? Your measured response appreciated.

-Rich

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:34:20 GMT
 Which Awk?
Hi,
if I get it right, you can run GNU AWK with POSIX and other compatibility
switches, so that you can well develop scripts which are compatible between all
standard AWK versions.
Personally I like very much that GAWK runs even on the Windoze boxes I've to
battle with (it runs best within NT4/5 because their you got a Doxbox which isn't
as ridiculous as the Win9x one is). http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net
MfG, Dave

News suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://newsgroups.web.de

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:46:47 GMT
 Which Awk?

Quote:

> OK Plenty of opportunity for flame of holy war. I am respectfully
Don't see why.
> requesting neither. I am looking for expert opinion on a version of awk
> I can standardize on. Looks like a significant portion of you guru types
> lean towards current/recent gawk for richness of features,  POSIX
> compliance, or other reasons. Is gawk my best bet across AIX, HP-UX,
> linux, and (perhaps) NT? Your measured response appreciated.

I'm posting this via Google, so this'll probably arrive hours after everyone's
responded, but nevertheless...

There is no such thing as an expert opinion.  It all depends on what features
you want, whether you're willing to carry sourcecode for your chosen version
around and install it everywhere, and what the users expect.

Most name-brand unixes have Nawk; some have even earlier versions of Awk.
If you don't want to have to install a new implementation on the systems
your scripts will run on, you have to write simple programs using only
the old features to be sure they'll work.

IMHO it is better to stick with a newer version though if you can.  Not only
do you get many more features, you also get more reliable performance as
bugs will have been fixed.  The main choices are the One True AWK and Gawk.
Both are good, while Gawk has more features.  My preference is Gawk.

If you need faster performance, look at Mawk which is very quick except for
a the occasional array-intensive script.  Pardon my bias here - Awka is also
very quick, but it is a translator/compiler, not an interpreter.

cheers,
Andrew

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:57:52 GMT
 Which Awk?

Quote:

> OK Plenty of opportunity for flame of holy war. I am respectfully
> requesting neither. I am looking for expert opinion on a version of awk
> I can standardize on. Looks like a significant portion of you guru types
> lean towards current/recent gawk for richness of features,  POSIX
> compliance, or other reasons. Is gawk my best bet across AIX, HP-UX,
> linux, and (perhaps) NT? Your measured response appreciated.

> -Rich

Hello,

personally I like gawk most, it has lot's of nice features. But the most
important
thing about it, it comes in source format and can be compiled on most
UNIX and
a like systems...:-)

Michael Heiming

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:17:47 GMT
 Which Awk?
Thank you for your reply. I was definitely leaning that way. We have the problem now
with 3 or 4 different awk versions on our boxes. For simple command line stuffit
makes practically no difference. For anything more involved it varies considerably.
Thanks for your input.

-Rich

Quote:

> Hi,
> if I get it right, you can run GNU AWK with POSIX and other compatibility
> switches, so that you can well develop scripts which are compatible between all
> standard AWK versions.
> Personally I like very much that GAWK runs even on the Windoze boxes I've to
> battle with (it runs best within NT4/5 because their you got a Doxbox which isn't
> as ridiculous as the Win9x one is). http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net
> MfG, Dave

> --
> News suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://newsgroups.web.de

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:32:48 GMT
 Which Awk?
Thank you for your reply. I believe the administrative burden of moving/compiling
source, or tracking down binaries is worth it for a consistent implamentation across
boxes. Thanks.
-Rich
Quote:

> > OK Plenty of opportunity for flame of holy war. I am respectfully
> Don't see why.
> > requesting neither. I am looking for expert opinion on a version of awk
> > I can standardize on. Looks like a significant portion of you guru types
> > lean towards current/recent gawk for richness of features,  POSIX
> > compliance, or other reasons. Is gawk my best bet across AIX, HP-UX,
> > linux, and (perhaps) NT? Your measured response appreciated.

> I'm posting this via Google, so this'll probably arrive hours after everyone's
> responded, but nevertheless...

> There is no such thing as an expert opinion.  It all depends on what features
> you want, whether you're willing to carry sourcecode for your chosen version
> around and install it everywhere, and what the users expect.

> Most name-brand unixes have Nawk; some have even earlier versions of Awk.
> If you don't want to have to install a new implementation on the systems
> your scripts will run on, you have to write simple programs using only
> the old features to be sure they'll work.

> IMHO it is better to stick with a newer version though if you can.  Not only
> do you get many more features, you also get more reliable performance as
> bugs will have been fixed.  The main choices are the One True AWK and Gawk.
> Both are good, while Gawk has more features.  My preference is Gawk.

> If you need faster performance, look at Mawk which is very quick except for
> a the occasional array-intensive script.  Pardon my bias here - Awka is also
> very quick, but it is a translator/compiler, not an interpreter.

> cheers,
> Andrew

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:35:28 GMT

1. common mistakes in awk: comparing awk with C

2. Awk compilers / Awk to C converters

3. Arrays in awk/awk help please!

4. Help with Awk, totally new to AWK programing

5. awk process in awk ??

6. AWK newbie is looking for a AWK help with his 1st program

7. run awk output thru tee inside awk

8. Awk within awk??

9. Awk in awk??

10. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file

11. How Can i do AWK in AWK

12. An Awk Program to Create an Awk Program [Long]