unknown error : arg list too long
Author Message
 unknown error : arg list too long

Hi all !

Sometimes awk send "/usr/bin/awk : arg list too long"

It seems that if i cut some lines in my awk program (code lines or comment
lines) this error doesn't occur anymore.

My question is : is the number of lines in a awk program limited ????

Thank you for an answer

Le pingouin from France

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:50:09 GMT
 unknown error : arg list too long

Quote:

> Sometimes awk send "/usr/bin/awk : arg list too long"

> It seems that if i cut some lines in my awk program (code lines or comment
> lines) this error doesn't occur anymore.

> My question is : is the number of lines in a awk program limited ????

It's not awk but your operating system, which has a limit for command
line length. Try 'ls /*/*/*' and you'll probably get the same message.
(It could also be your shell but today OS limit is likely to be smaller.)

If shortening the awk program helps you are probably calling it like this:

awk '...'

If so, you can avoid problem by putting the script in a file and using

awk -f file

You could also turn your awk script into a self-contained program, starting
'#! /usr/bin/awk -f' (the path may vary, wherever your awk is).

--
Tapani Tarvainen

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:09:06 GMT
 unknown error : arg list too long
The best solution is : put script in a file and let's go dancing !

Work's fine.

Thx

Le pingouin from France

Quote:

> > Sometimes awk send "/usr/bin/awk : arg list too long"

> > It seems that if i cut some lines in my awk program (code lines or
comment
> > lines) this error doesn't occur anymore.

> > My question is : is the number of lines in a awk program limited ????

> It's not awk but your operating system, which has a limit for command
> line length. Try 'ls /*/*/*' and you'll probably get the same message.
> (It could also be your shell but today OS limit is likely to be smaller.)

> If shortening the awk program helps you are probably calling it like this:

> awk '...'

> If so, you can avoid problem by putting the script in a file and using

> awk -f file

> You could also turn your awk script into a self-contained program,
starting
> '#! /usr/bin/awk -f' (the path may vary, wherever your awk is).

> --
> Tapani Tarvainen

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:20:25 GMT

1. gcc Arg List Too Long

2. Parameter list is too long (error)

3. Unknown Error Posted:6:Parameter Typing Error

4. Unknown error Error 112

5. Error (61): Unknown Error Posted: 61

6. Unknown Error Posted: 10: Parameter typing error

7. Unknown error: 6: Parameter typing error?

8. unknown type X11.Long

9. Arg, parse arg, command line, and ?

10. Changing actual arg via intent(in) formal arg in F90

11. dynamic method addition, problem with arg=arg in lambdas (was:

12. dynamic method addition, problem with arg=arg in lambdas (was: