Wanted: small meta-data language
Author Message
 Wanted: small meta-data language

I'm hoping someone can help identify an existing language that fills
my needs.  I've posted to the .awk and .icon groups as well, since my
needs are similar (and maybe a match) to those languages, but I am
unsure of how well they would work on binary data chunks.

Anyway, I'm looking for an existing "meta-data" language.  My purpose
is to port such a beast to the PalmOS.  Such a language would most
likely be interpreted, not compiled, would provide some methods for
pattern matching in both text and binary, and would operate primarily
on binary data (with text objects within the binary stream).

The idea is to easily allow 3rd-party applications a simple and common
method to accessing other databases.  (IE, I might create a scheduling
app that reads through the built-in datebook database to see if there
are any conflicts).  Such a language would define the structure of the
database and allow in-place modification and reading of data.

For example, assuming that the address book data structure was defined,
I could write C-code somewhat like this:

    if (!strcmp ("Acme Company",  GET_STRING(ref, "company")))
        /* do action */

where GET_STRING is an entry point into the gawk/icon/sed/other meta-data
language, ref is a pointer to the data record, and "company" is the field
name within the meta-data language definition for the address book
database.

The whole idea is to provide one library with multiple meta-data
definitions for each library.  I don't know if such a thing/language exists,
so I'm hoping someone out there can tell me "yes" or "no" before I write
the whole thing myself.

Thanks in advance....

Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanted: small meta-data language

Have you considered something like JavaScript (ECMA Script).  The language
itself is pretty easy, and it shouldn't be that hard to implement from
scratch if needed be.  That shouldn't be necessary though as both Netscape
and Microsoft have released source for it (I don't know if MS is still doing
that though).

The language is fairly popular because of it's use in HTML pages.  You might
have to add some new object types for your particular needs, but that isn't
outside the scope of the language.

Quote:

>I'm hoping someone can help identify an existing language that fills
>my needs.  I've posted to the .awk and .icon groups as well, since my
>needs are similar (and maybe a match) to those languages, but I am
>unsure of how well they would work on binary data chunks.

>Anyway, I'm looking for an existing "meta-data" language.  My purpose
>is to port such a beast to the PalmOS.  Such a language would most
>likely be interpreted, not compiled, would provide some methods for
>pattern matching in both text and binary, and would operate primarily
>on binary data (with text objects within the binary stream).

>The idea is to easily allow 3rd-party applications a simple and common
>method to accessing other databases.  (IE, I might create a scheduling
>app that reads through the built-in datebook database to see if there
>are any conflicts).  Such a language would define the structure of the
>database and allow in-place modification and reading of data.

>For example, assuming that the address book data structure was defined,
>I could write C-code somewhat like this:

>    if (!strcmp ("Acme Company",  GET_STRING(ref, "company")))
> /* do action */

>where GET_STRING is an entry point into the gawk/icon/sed/other meta-data
>language, ref is a pointer to the data record, and "company" is the field
>name within the meta-data language definition for the address book
>database.

>The whole idea is to provide one library with multiple meta-data
>definitions for each library.  I don't know if such a thing/language
exists,
>so I'm hoping someone out there can tell me "yes" or "no" before I write
>the whole thing myself.

>Thanks in advance....

Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanted: small meta-data language

: Have you considered something like JavaScript (ECMA Script).  The language
: itself is pretty easy, and it shouldn't be that hard to implement from
: scratch if needed be.  That shouldn't be necessary though as both Netscape
: and Microsoft have released source for it (I don't know if MS is still doing
: that though).

<snip>

:>
:>I'm hoping someone can help identify an existing language that fills
:>my needs.  I've posted to the .awk and .icon groups as well, since my
:>needs are similar (and maybe a match) to those languages, but I am
:>unsure of how well they would work on binary data chunks.

I assume you've looked at the palmpilot software archive, Lots of languages
have been ported.

--
See http://www.mauve.demon.co.uk/    |Linux PDA, cheap electronics/PC bits sale.
See_header,_for_UCE_policy___________|_____________________________Ian_Stirling.

Wed, 06 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Summary: Small Language Wanted

2. Summary: Small Language Wanted

3. Small Language Wanted

4. Scientists as Programmers (was Re: Small Language Wanted)

5. Summary: Small Language Wanted

6. Small Language Wanted

7. Summary: Small Language Wanted

8. Small Language Wanted

9. Scientists as Programmers (was Re: Small Language Wanted)

10. Small Language Wanted

11. Database Meta data