Need help on error in nawk.
Author Message
 Need help on error in nawk.

Hello ,
I have got an error in nawk which is..
ERROR: /usr/bin/nawk: arg list too long

The input parameter list to nawk contains only around 9-10 parameters
which does not seem to be a very large number as according to the error got.

My nawk statement looks like

nawk `{
  some computations

Quote:
}par1=$par1 par2=$par2.......par8=$par8 input_file

The input file also contains a max of about 10 records.

Kindly tell me if this could be a lack of space problem
or some kind of configuration error and how to solve the same.

Thanks,
Mala.

--
Posted from agni.wipinfo.soft.net [164.164.6.20]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help on error in nawk.

Quote:
> I have got an error in nawk which is..  ERROR: /usr/bin/nawk: arg
> list too long

An annoying thing with Unix is that when you see a message "XXXX:
Error YYYY" this doesn't in fact mean that the problem is caused by
program XXXX -- in fact, the executable of program XXXX may not have
been run at all!  I can't say with absolute certainty that "Arg list
too long" couldn't be generated by your version of nawk, but where
I've generally seen it is in cases where wild-card expansion on the *
and ? characters in a Unix shell command line causes the length of the
command line to exceed the arbitrary size of the shells' internal
command-line buffer, so that the shell gives up while trying to
assemble the command-line, and doesn't even attempt to run the program
at all...

--

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help on error in nawk.

   >Hello ,
   >I have got an error in nawk which is..
   >ERROR: /usr/bin/nawk: arg list too long
   >The input parameter list to nawk contains only around 9-10
   >parameters which does not seem to be a very large number as
   >according to the error got.
   >My nawk statement looks like
   >nawk `{
   >some computations
   >}par1=$par1 par2=$par2.......par8=$par8 input_file
How long are the contents of $par1, $par2, etc?  And what exactly are
the 'some computations'?  You might have to put them in a separate file and
use nawk -f.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help on error in nawk.
A few {*filter*}s which may or may not help..

Quote:
> ERROR: /usr/bin/nawk: arg list too long

.
.

Quote:
> nawk `{

>   some computations

> }par1=$par1 par2=$par2.......par8=$par8 input_file

a) You did remember to close the quote, didn't you ?

nawk `{  some computations }' par1=$par1 par2.....

                            ^^

b) Try 'gawk' instead of 'nawk'. I suppose this is far fetched

though since the 99-field limit on nawk would say 'line too long'

and not 'arg list too long'.

c) Try putting '{some computations}' in a file, and 'running' them

with nawk -f or gawk -f

- Ramneek.

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:27:41 GMT
 Need help on error in nawk.

Quote:

> A few {*filter*}s which may or may not help..

>> ERROR: /usr/bin/nawk: arg list too long

> .
> .

>> nawk `{

>>   some computations

>> }par1=$par1 par2=$par2.......par8=$par8 input_file

> a) You did remember to close the quote, didn't you ?

> nawk `{  some computations }' par1=$par1 par2.....

  nawk '{  some computations }' par1=$par1 par2.....
       ^
He or she should also use a single-quote (apostrophe) here, not a
back-tick.

Regards...
                Michael

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:46:18 GMT

1. Need help nawk'in out aliases!

2. Need help with nawk word sorter.

3. I need NAWK information (in spanish)

4. Need Nawk for Linux or redesign of script

5. NAWK piping problem (help!!)

6. nawk-Help

7. help about nawk

8. help for new user looking to use awk nawk or mawk

9. Help! (Using sys var in nawk body)

10. Help needed - error in OrderedCollection ?

11. need help with error

12. Oracle error, need help