(g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available
Author Message
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Hi all,

As I embark upon the learning more awk and sed, I found there is no
true, simple sed v3.02 available on the Win32 platform in native 32bit
code.  However, there was djgpp v2 source available for (g)sed 3.02,
which I was easily able to create a new makefile and config.h for, and
compile the code unmodified in MS VC6.

If anyone is interested in testing it with me, please holler and I'll
send you an EXE.  My version is compiled specifically with the gnu-regex
code, and it passes all tests (make check) possible in the original
archive (I say possible because distrib.sh test requires a bin/sh
interpereter, which isn't readily available).  It's about 70-80k, and is
only linked to kernel32.dll.

PS: where should I submit my makefile and config.h, so that it can go
into official places, so others can enjoy it?

-te

--
Troy Engel
CME, ABT Corporation

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Quote:

> As I embark upon the learning more awk and sed, I found there is no
> true, simple sed v3.02 available on the Win32 platform in native 32bit
> code.

There is one evailable. It is part of the Cygwin Toolset:

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin

If you are learning how to use the full power of tools like awk, sed
and the shell on a MS Windows machine, you might appreciate the Cygwin
Toolset.

Quote:
> However, there was djgpp v2 source available for (g)sed 3.02,
> which I was easily able to create a new makefile and config.h for, and
> compile the code unmodified in MS VC6.
..
> PS: where should I submit my makefile and config.h, so that it can go
> into official places, so others can enjoy it?

The djgpp man himself is working for Cygnus. Ask him.

Juergen Kahrs                                       Tel.  0421  249 666
Millstaetter Strasse 15                             Tel.  0421  457 2819
D 28359 Bremen                                      Fax   0421  457 3578
____________ http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/ _______________

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Quote:

> > As I embark upon the learning more awk and sed, I found there is no
> > true, simple sed v3.02 available on the Win32 platform in native
> > 32bit code.

> There is one available.

There is at least one commercial toolkit available as well: the
MKS Toolkit from Mortice Kern Systems Inc. (http://www.mks.com).

Quote:
> It is part of the Cygwin Toolset:

>   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin

> If you are learning how to use the full power of tools like awk, sed
> and the shell on a MS Windows machine, you might appreciate the Cygwin
> Toolset.

Likewise for the POSIX-compliant MKS Toolkit.

--
Jim Monty

http://www.primenet.com/~monty/
Tempe, Arizona USA

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available
Thanks for the pointers re: MKS and Cygwin, yup I know both resources --
this specific post from Nicole outlines my purpose though; no cumbersome
"toolsets" to implement, install and track on my build machines (SCM),
just a nice, tight EXE that compiles the same C code as my linux box.
:)  Makes it very portable if I want to through it around from machine
to machine.

gawk, gsed, tail, and rm are about all I use.  I am thinking of using
date.exe though, it comes in pretty handy sometimes -- NT's date is,
errr, worthless if I have to pick one word.

-te

Quote:

--
Troy Engel
CME, ABT Corporation

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Quote:

> >There is one evailable. It is part of the Cygwin Toolset:

> AFAIR you have to download the whole toolset and these tools are not
> standalone tools - what I hated most.

This is correct. Apart from the executable of the tool,
you need the cygwin1.dll. But I also like to have the complete
Cygwin Toolset with its BASH, LESS, GCC and GAWK.

| Juergen Kahrs,       STN Atlas Elektronik GmbH,   D-28305 Bremen    |
| Simulation Division  Sebaldsbruecker Heerstr. 235 +49/421/457-2819  |
+----------- http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/ -------------+

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Quote:

>> >There is one evailable. It is part of the Cygwin Toolset:

>> AFAIR you have to download the whole toolset and these tools are not
>> standalone tools - what I hated most.
>This is correct. Apart from the executable of the tool,
>you need the cygwin1.dll. But I also like to have the complete
>Cygwin Toolset with its BASH, LESS, GCC and GAWK.

I was wanting to install it in my home directory, as I don't have
the rights to install on a specific machine, (and indeed, wouldn't
want to, as I'd have to get back to that machine.
How do I specify where the DLL is? It diddn't seem to want to
know, when I tried it with the DLL in the same directory.

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 (g)sed 3.02 for native Win32 available

Quote:

> I was wanting to install it in my home directory, as I don't have
> the rights to install on a specific machine, (and indeed, wouldn't
> want to, as I'd have to get back to that machine.
> How do I specify where the DLL is? It diddn't seem to want to
> know, when I tried it with the DLL in the same directory.

When testing on machines without a Cygwin installation, it is best
to put the cygwin1.dll into the same directory where your .exe
resides. This is what you did and it did not work. The reason for
problems like this is usually that in copying the cygwin1.dll, you
have changed the name of the cygwin1.dll. Uppercase/lowercase is
often a problem. Another reason may be that you are mixing a .exe
with a cygwin1.dll from a different version.

I dont know how to specify where the system should look for .dll
files.

Hope this helps.

| Juergen Kahrs,       STN Atlas Elektronik GmbH,   D-28305 Bremen    |
| Simulation Division  Sebaldsbruecker Heerstr. 235 +49/421/457-2819  |
+----------- http://home.t-online.de/home/Juergen.Kahrs/ -------------+

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Native win32 list view control available for Clarion!

2. J 3.02

3. Princen send mail 3.02

4. SIX 3.00.01 to SIX 3.02

5. Six RDD 3.02 o COMIX RDD 3.09