"out of space" error
Author Message
 "out of space" error

I am getting an "out of space" error message from nawk on a very large
file.  What does this error message mean?  Is there any way to flush or
clear out already used space?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:02:44 GMT
 "out of space" error
Which nawk, which platform? It's hard to give any sort of answer without
this information.

--

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
those of my employer.

Quote:
> I am getting an "out of space" error message from nawk on a very large
> file.  What does this error message mean?  Is there any way to flush
or
> clear out already used space?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:19:30 GMT
 "out of space" error

Quote:
>I am getting an "out of space" error message from nawk on a very large
>file.  What does this error message mean?  Is there any way to flush or
>clear out already used space?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Write your code to use less storage?  For example, use minimally
sized arrays, or delete array elements when no longer needed.  Also
store only what you need, indexed/addresses with the smallest string.

Hard to say more without knowing what you want to do and how
you're doing it.

You might also try using gawk instead of nawk.

Chuck Demas

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:39:16 GMT
 "out of space" error

Quote:

>I am getting an "out of space" error message from nawk on a very large
>file.  What does this error message mean?  Is there any way to flush or
>clear out already used space?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

a. Are you sure that you are not genuinely running out of disk space
   for output files

b. Could you be trying to read and write to the same file?

As others have requested, plse give us more information
and perhaps a copy of the program

Mark
---
Mark Katz
Mark-IT, London. Delivering MR-IT/Internet solutions
Tel: (44) 20-8731 7516, Fax: (44) 20-8458 9554; http://www.mark-it.co.uk

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:55:39 GMT
 "out of space" error

>You might also try using gawk instead of nawk.

Gawk won't necessarily help if the OP is bumping into core memory limits
(i.e., ulimit -c restrictions).

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:02:27 GMT

1. error writing "stdout": no space left on device

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. "Get Disk Free Space" for NTFS

4. Gnat301a "Out of Space" msg

5. "space"

6. Common Lisp in the "embedded" space

7. How the bind "Space bar"???

8. What is "largest relative spacing"?

9. print "foo", without a space

10. "bound error" error# 1132

11. Error with eruby: "Exec format error"

12. error writing "stdout": I/O error