awk and sgml?
Author Message
 awk and sgml?

Is awk powerful enough to handle sgml-conversion jobs?  If not, what tool
(or scipt language) would you recommend to study intensively in order to
have (on the long run) a powerful tool to work with? I know that Perl is
powerful enough (I'm not a programmer, but quite into regexp-jobs) to this
job (but quite complex as well). Or is Omnimark the right solution? I would
prefer awk (since I'm already a bit familiar with it and I like it).

Thanks in advance
U. Florian

BTW: What's the URL where I can get the latest version of gawk for DOS/Win95
? (I guess it's  release 3.0.4)

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 awk and sgml?

Quote:

> Is awk powerful enough to handle sgml-conversion jobs?

Dpends on what you want to convert.  If you want to parse an SGML file
strictly according to a DTD, and then do arbitrary tree-structure
transformations on the content of the file, there are already tools
written to do that, and AWK wouldn't be the best language.

Quote:
> BTW: What's the URL where I can get the latest version of gawk for
> DOS/Win95 ? (I guess it's release 3.0.4)

3.0.4 is the latest source release version but hasn't yet percolated
down to the precompiled binary archives (as you can see at
http://oak.oakland.edu/pub/simtelnet/gnu/gnuish/ ); go to
http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/htmlchek/awk-perl.html to see where to
download executables (binaries).

--

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. OT-Documentation for AWK+TCP/IP in SGML

2. common mistakes in awk: comparing awk with C

3. Awk compilers / Awk to C converters

4. Arrays in awk/awk help please!

5. Help with Awk, totally new to AWK programing

6. awk process in awk ??

7. AWK newbie is looking for a AWK help with his 1st program

8. run awk output thru tee inside awk

9. SGML-formatting

10. Awk within awk??

11. Awk in awk??

12. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file