length field and record
Author Message
 length field and record

What is the length of field and record in any awk implementation?
In SCO, there is 3000 characters per field and 3000 characters per
record.

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 length field and record

: What is the length of field and record in any awk implementation?

Varies.
With gawk, I haven't found a limit (with 20M lines, etc)

--
Ian Stirling.   Designing a linux PDA, see  http://www.mauve.demon.co.uk/
----- ******* If replying by email, check notices in header ******* -----

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 length field and record

Quote:
>What is the length of field and record in any awk implementation?
>In SCO, there is 3000 characters per field and 3000 characters per
>record.

Thompson Awk version 3.0 had 8000 for each.

Quoting their web page (http://www.tasoft.com) version 5.0 has

"Infinite string length Well, almost infinite. Available in in Windows
NT/95, OS/2, DOS-32 and UNIX versions. (All versions but the
standard DOS version.)"

Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Best way to handle variable length fields within records

2. Getting true length of a variable length record - IBM Mainframe

3. Finding Variable-Length Record Length

4. Convert comma-delimited records to fixed length records

5. Prime record fields on insert - Before adding auto incremented record

6. Appending Records with AutoIncrement Field Key-fields

7. Color a record in a browse list box by condition of the field in that record

8. Ascii-records (with some comp fields) to plain Ascii-records

9. AWK max record length?

10. Max Record Length Problem

11. Record Length in Ascii File

12. problem ascii file with fixed record length