How to pronounce 'awk'?
Author Message
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Hi there!

When I first read about awk I thought it was pronoucend somewhat
similar to 'hawk', but afterwards I heard people calling it
by the Letters A-W-K. By then I heard both used by different
people.
So what is right? Is there a 'right` pronoucation? How do
Kerningham & Co. say it?

--
marko

"Ich wuerde es hassen, ein Kind wie mich zu haben "
                                              -- Calvin --

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:

> So what is right? Is there a 'right` pronoucation?

I always pronounced awk to rhyme with 'hawk,' and never
heard anyone refer to it by spelling it out (except to
clarify how it was spelled to someone who'd only heard
it pronounced and not seen it written).

It is also true, in client/server circles, that 'SQL'
is properly pronounced 'sequel,' and only the uninitiated
refer to it as 'ess-queue-ell'. But I do still hear
the letters from time to time.

Paul Tichy                     (713) 486-8337
Senior Network Engineer, Phoenix Data Systems
Houston, TX   USA

#include <std.disclaimer> (Opinions expressed are purely my own)

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

| When I first read about awk I thought it was pronoucend somewhat
| similar to 'hawk', but afterwards I heard people calling it
| by the Letters A-W-K. By then I heard both used by different
| people.

AWK and PERL are almost always pronounced as works, vi is spelled.
SQL "goes both ways" but is more often pronounced as a word,
"sequel."

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:

>When I first read about awk I thought it was pronoucend somewhat
>similar to 'hawk', but afterwards I heard people calling it
>by the Letters A-W-K. By then I heard both used by different
>people.
>So what is right? Is there a 'right` pronoucation? How do
>Kerningham & Co. say it?

At a lecture on "Little Languages" in September, Brian Kernighan pronounced
it the first way, i.e. rhymes with "hawk".

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~jonm/home.html

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:

>> So what is right? Is there a 'right` pronoucation?
>I always pronounced awk to rhyme with 'hawk,' and never
>heard anyone refer to it by spelling it out (except to
>clarify how it was spelled to someone who'd only heard
>it pronounced and not seen it written).

It depends a bit on the language you normally speak: saying awk as a word in,
say, Dutch or German is a crime, but is easy in English. Over here it is
normally spelled full out, but also the English name is used and then you
pronounce awk as the awk in awkward.
--
Hans de Vreught                | John von Neumann:

Delft University of Technology | you don't understand things,
The Netherlands                | you just get used to them.

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:
>When I first read about awk I thought it was pronoucend somewhat
>similar to 'hawk', but afterwards I heard people calling it
>by the Letters A-W-K. By then I heard both used by different
>people.

I think this may be a 'local' German dialect. As a long term awk
user/trainer around Europe, I had never come across the A-W-K pronounciation
until I visited a company in Nurnberg.

Even then only 2 of the 10 people who used/heard of awk pronounced
it as A-W-K

I observed no correlation of the quality of awk code between the two groups!

Mark
- - - -
Mark Katz
ISPC, London - Innovation in data-delivery tools
(44) 181-455 4665, Fax (44) 181-458 9554

Mon, 27 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:
>It depends a bit on the language you normally speak: saying awk as a word in,
>say, Dutch or German is a crime, but is easy in English. Over here it is
>normally spelled full out, but also the English name is used and then you
 ^^^^^^^^?
>pronounce awk as the awk in awkward.

It's peculiar how universities in such a small country may differ. I've
never heard anyone in Tilburg or Nijmegen say A-W-K... and I've seldom
heard anyone say 'Sequel' to S-Q-L. It must be a matter of local
culture ;-)

Roel

---
Roel de{*filter*}
Library Automation Unit of Tilburg University
p.o. box 90153, NL-5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands

phone +31.13.4663167

Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:
>It's peculiar how universities in such a small country may differ. I've
>never heard anyone in Tilburg or Nijmegen say A-W-K... and I've seldom
>heard anyone say 'Sequel' to S-Q-L. It must be a matter of local
>culture ;-)

The first version out of IBM labs was called "Structured English QUEry
Language", which was abbreviated to SEQUEL (not SQL).

Each version after that has just been SQL "Structured Query Language"
pronounced "ESS KEW ELL".  It's those who don't know better that call it
"Sequel" today <BG>...

Legions of new SQL'ers are pronouncing it the old way, probably because
it sounds cool and "with-it"<g>.

--end of sidetrack ---

regards,
Richard.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
"After all Jean-Luc, all good things
*must* come to an end" Me to Picard in Final
Episode of TNG.

Fri, 01 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to pronounce 'awk'?

Quote:

>>It depends a bit on the language you normally speak: saying awk as a word in,
>>say, Dutch or German is a crime, but is easy in English. Over here it is
>>normally spelled full out, but also the English name is used and then you
> ^^^^^^^^?
>>pronounce awk as the awk in awkward.

>It's peculiar how universities in such a small country may differ. I've
>never heard anyone in Tilburg or Nijmegen say A-W-K... and I've seldom
>heard anyone say 'Sequel' to S-Q-L. It must be a matter of local
>culture ;-)

>Roel

As far as pronouncing SQL is concerned, it seems to be more
institutional. I learned about the "sequel" pronunciation last year - I
still can't bring myself to use it, nor does anyone else I bump into.
Not everybody is immersed in databases - spelling out SQL clearly
indicates that it's an acronym. "Sequel" sounds too much like a
commercial product.

I don't spell out WYSIWYG though :)
--
Arved H. Sandstro"m                       |     YISDER ZOMENIMOR
Physical Oceanography Group               |     ORZIZZAZIZ

Fri, 01 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How does one pronounce 'Gwydion'?

2. How to pronounce 'Dylan'?

3. How to pronounce 'incr Tcl'?

4. Pronouncing '__init__'

5. Pronouncing '__init__' - summary of replies

6. Pretty 'print' files from awk

7. awk '{print \$$mynumber}'

8. 'AWK Programming Language'

9. Pronunciation of 'awk'

10. 'Simple Awk Script ?'

11. How to pronounce AWK

12. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem