GAWK 3.0.95 - some questions/comments on PC compilation(s)
Author Message
 GAWK 3.0.95 - some questions/comments on PC compilation(s)

First, I understand that 3.0.95 is a beta - if the answers to any of these
questions is "Yes, it will be in the released version", then that's just
fine and dandy.  Having said that, I have downloaded this version and
compiled it under Linux, and it works fine (haven't done any hard-pounding
on it yet - so no "problem" reports as of yet).

Regarding the PC version:

1) What I really want is a PC version that supports the networking stuff.
   Is this possible?  It seems like it should be - in order to remain
   competitive with PC/Win32 versions of Perl.

2) I compiled the mingw32 version - seems to be OK, but the |& is unsupported.

3) I'm curious as to why there isn't a Cygwin target.  That seems to be the
   most Unix-like of all the PC/Win32 C compiler/toolkits out there.

4) It took me a bit of futzing to figure out how to compile the PC version.
   I read the README, but I did not find instructions on how to do it.  It
   seems like some README somewhere ought to say:

    a) cd to the main gawk-3.0.95 directory
    b) copy pc (that is, copy all the files in the PC subdir to the curr dir)
    c) Do: make <target>

I.e., it is unclear whether you are supposed to do the compile from the main
dir or from the PC dir.  Once you've done it, of course, it is clear...

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:13:26 GMT
 GAWK 3.0.95 - some questions/comments on PC compilation(s)

Quote:

> 1) What I really want is a PC version that supports the networking stuff.

The problem has been time.  The current developers for the OS2/DOS/Win
ports have not looked seriously at the networking code.  I'm uncertain
how much effort is required.  If someone contributes the code, it will
be integrated.

Quote:
> 3) I'm curious as to why there isn't a Cygwin target.  That seems to be the
>    most Unix-like of all the PC/Win32 C compiler/toolkits out there.

It requires more support on the client-side. I suppose the view has
been that clients willing to install the runtime are probably willing
to install a development environment.  In any case, cygwin would
probably not be part of the OS2/DOS/Win build process.

Quote:
> 4) It took me a bit of futzing to figure out how to compile the PC version.
>    I read the README, but I did not find instructions on how to do it.  It
>    seems like some README somewhere ought to say:

>     a) cd to the main gawk-3.0.95 directory
>     b) copy pc (that is, copy all the files in the PC subdir to the curr dir)
>     c) Do: make <target>

> I.e., it is unclear whether you are supposed to do the compile from the main
> dir or from the PC dir.  Once you've done it, of course, it is clear...

See README_d/README.pc.

--

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:56:43 GMT

1. gawk 3.0.95, beta for gawk 3.1.0, now available

2. GAWK 3.0.95 - question on the extensions stuff

3. Recent emails from A. Robbins, regarding latest GAWK (3.0.95)

4. GAWK 3.0.95 - Bug (er, problem) report on extension stuff

5. GAWK 2.15.6 for Windows NT/95, DOS32

6. gawk for 95/NT

7. looking for DJGPP compilation of gawk v3.1.0.1

8. GNAT Compilation problem - '95

9. Compilation problem in solaris 5.5.1 - for TclTk8.3.1/gcc2.95.3

10. Followup : Compilation problem in solaris 5.5.1 - for TclTk8.3.1/gcc2.95.3

11. BLT compilation under cygwin 2.95.2

12. Compilation problems of tcl8.2 under Compaq True Unix 4.0f with gcc-2.95