Gawk for win32 slower than Gawk for Dos_32?
Author Message
 Gawk for win32 slower than Gawk for Dos_32?

Hi,
I downloaded the "gawk306x.zip" package, I tried the djgpp Dos32 version of
Gawk under Windows98 and I found it is almost
70% faster than the Win32 one.
Why? I expected the Win32 was the proper version for my system. Since both
are
32-bit versions and can only run in a Dos shell, can someone explain me the
reason for
this difference in their behaviour?
Thank you!

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:45:48 GMT
 Gawk for win32 slower than Gawk for Dos_32?

Quote:
> Hi,
> I downloaded the "gawk306x.zip" package, I tried the djgpp Dos32
version of
> Gawk under Windows98 and I found it is almost
> 70% faster than the Win32 one.
> Why? I expected the Win32 was the proper version for my system. Since
both
> are
> 32-bit versions and can only run in a Dos shell, can someone explain
me the
> reason for
> this difference in their behaviour?
> Thank you!

I have noticed this type of difference between the GNUWin32
and DJGPP versions of gawk myself.  As they both derive from
the same sources it is likely that any differences result
from the libraries used during linking.  AFAIK the DJGPP
version uses only statically linked gcc libraries, whereas
the GNUWin32 version uses dynamically linked Windows
libraries, which may account for the performance difference.
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, the big advantage of the DJGPP version over the
GNUWin32 one is that it parses the DOS or Windows DOS box
command line in order to recognize the awk "program" if it
is enclosed in single quotes, allowing example programs to
use the UNIX quoting style.  The GNUWin32 version only
recognizes double quotes around the program code.

HTH
--
Peter S Tillier
"Who needs perl when you can write dc and sokoban in sed?"

Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:00:41 GMT

1. Gawk bug, gawk won't nawk.

2. gawk 3.0.95, beta for gawk 3.1.0, now available

3. Slow gawk 3.0.3

4. gawk: dynamic extension and pgawk support for Win32

5. gawk win32 binary & single quote invalid char

6. How to make binmode work with GAWK 3.1.0 and Win32

7. Gawk 3.0.98 - |& on Win32

8. GAWK 3.0 for Win32?

9. First beta release for gawk 3.1.3

10. awk/gawk textfile-problem

11. Gawk 3.1: What are adump and stopme?

12. signal gawk