Help wanted: using RS
Author Message
 Help wanted: using RS

I'm hoping that someone can help me on the use of RS.

The gawk manual states:
"The value of RS is in fact not limited to a one-character string. It
can be any regular expression"

but when I use it like this: gawk 'BEGIN{RS="NAME"};....

It uses 'N' to separate records, not "NAME".

Can I separate records on a word rather than a character?

- Thanks, Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted: using RS

<snip>

Quote:
>but when I use it like this: gawk 'BEGIN{RS="NAME"};....

>It uses 'N' to separate records, not "NAME".

>Can I separate records on a word rather than a character?

What version of gawk? Use gawk --version to check. What OS?

I'm using 3.0.4 for NT, and I have no trouble using strings as record
separators. I could check the linux version when I get home.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Nee help with Serial IO (RS-232) using ADA

2. VERY URGENT : RS-485 half Duplex Communication using TCL/TK

3. how to get date/time using fortran (xlf) on IBM RS/6000

4. Help wanted using ISE's EiffelCOM with Excel

5. Help wanted on TWAIN using Smalltalk

6. help with tcl7.0b3 installation on RS/6000

7. IBM RS/6000 help needed

8. BEST Help system WANTED, creating help files for a clarion app

9. Wanted, Used APL/2 software

10. used floor turtle wanted

11. how to specify the excel sheet you wanted while using Active X

12. Wanted: references on using Scheme for Intro CS courses