Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course
Author Message
 Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course

Hi,

I've been developing a new course for a few months now, and I'm getting close
enough to start describing it to training coordinators. The two people I've
talked to about it apparently heard something different than I was describing.

My new course is an in-depth exploration of subroutines and mainlines: how to
call and be called in four different languages (Assembler, COBOL, PL/I and C),
in an LE environment. It includes (for all four languages):

* a review of describing elementary data items, structures, and arrays
* how to handle null-terminated strings
* how to handle the PARM from the EXEC statement in batch jobs
   (including how to use CEE3PRM, and when that doesn't return
   what you would expect)
* syntax of call / function references
* calling to / from the same language and different languages
  (trying to avoid special cases like pragmas or calling language
     intialization entry points)
* format of object modules (OBJ, XOBJ, GOFF)
* how the linkage editor and program binder work
* load modules and program objects
* how parameters are passed in an argument list
* passing and receiving data by reference and by value
* language-specific options for calling
* language-specific options for passing / receiving data
* omitting arguments
* handling variable argument lists
* static vs. dynamic calls: whys and hows
* module attributes and their impact: reuable, reentrant
* mainenance issues and techniques
* DLLs

When I've told people about this, they seem to hear "Oh, how to pass data
between the mainframe and a work station"! Now that sounds like a useful class,
and I will turn my attention to it next, perhaps, it is _not_ the class I am
currently developing.

My thought is that a good, snappy, descrptive title might help. So I am turning
to the usenet groups for two areas of help:

1) can you come up with a name that would help describe and sell this course
succinctly?

and 2) is this a course anyone would be interested in or am I wasting my time
(I've spent a lot of time, learned a lot of things that I thought I knew but
was wrong about, but it may be that this work only is helpful to me)?

Here are some titles I've been tossing about...

Secrets of InterProgram Communication
Subroutines
Advanced Subroutines
Mainlines and Subroutines

Thanks for any suggestions / feedback.

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course

Quote:

>Here are some titles I've been tossing about...

>Secrets of InterProgram Communication
>Subroutines
>Advanced Subroutines
>Mainlines and Subroutines

Mainframe Subroutine Calling Conventions.

--
No electrons were injured in the preparation of this message.

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course
(snip)

Quote:
> 1) can you come up with a name that would help describe and sell this course
> succinctly?

> and 2) is this a course anyone would be interested in or am I wasting my time
> (I've spent a lot of time, learned a lot of things that I thought I knew but
> was wrong about, but it may be that this work only is helpful to me)?

How about "Call or Be Called"? You chould subtitle it "The Law of the
Mainframe", or something like that.

Bill {*filter*}

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course
Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's catchy. I'll put it in the list of candidates.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course
YAOLEC

Yust An Other LE Course

Cees Jan

S Comstock heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:
>Bill,

>Thanks for the suggestion. It's catchy. I'll put it in the list of
candidates.

>Regards,

>Steve Comstock
>Telephone: 303-393-8716
>www.trainersfriend.com

>256-B S. Monaco Parkway
>Denver, CO 80224
>USA

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need title for new OS/390 applications programmer course

2. Need title for new OS/390 applications programming class

3. OS/390 release test periods Re: default variable initialization under os/390 v2r8

4. Cobol OS/390 to C OS/390 V2R6

5. CobAnal for MVS, OS/390 and z/OS New version

6. IBM announces new release of z/OS (OS/390) compiler

7. OS/390 courses

8. Survey: Market for Visual Age PL/I for OS/390 course

9. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

10. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

11. OS/390 PL/I Programmers

12. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer