ICM & STCM
Author Message
 ICM & STCM

There was a discussion the other day as to when these two instructions came
into being.  One of us insisted that they came into being about the time of XA
(late 70's?) and another of us insisted that they were part ot the original 360
architecture.  Wdll, I found a "yellow card" from 1976 that had them.  Are they
370 only instructions?  I believe the first 370 was shipped in 1971.

Steve Palmer

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

>There was a discussion the other day as to when these two instructions came
>into being.  One of us insisted that they came into being about the time of XA
>(late 70's?) and another of us insisted that they were part ot the original 360
>architecture.  Wdll, I found a "yellow card" from 1976 that had them.  Are they
>370 only instructions?  I believe the first 370 was shipped in 1971.

Yes, they are 370 only.  They were in the first 370s, not in 360s.
--
Rich Greenberg    Work:  PM0RMG atsign WSPVM1.worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign netcom.com    +1 770-321-6507

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:
(LakeWin98) writes:
>One of us insisted that they came into being about the time of XA
>(late 70's?)

They existed on our IBM-370, pre XA.

Mark A. Young

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

> There was a discussion the other day as to when these two instructions came
> into being.  One of us insisted that they came into being about the time of XA
> (late 70's?) and another of us insisted that they were part ot the original 360
> architecture.  Wdll, I found a "yellow card" from 1976 that had them.  Are they
> 370 only instructions?  I believe the first 370 was shipped in 1971.

They were announced with the first models of 370 which were before
virtual memory was announced.

I got in trouble because I used an ICM in some 3330 code.  The 3330 was
theoretically a 370 only device.  I got dinged because the code wouldn't
assemble on the "minimum machine", which was a 360, for the product.  I
ended up supplying a macro to generate the instruction.

In DOS release 27, which was the first 370 DOS, only the D level
assembler had support for ICM & STCM.  Assembler F didn't.

Bob Eltgroth

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM
Steve,

    AFAIK, they were 370 instructions originally, never 360. They could be
viewed as enhanced IC and STC instructions, which were 360, although this
may not entirely be an accurate assessment.

    Another opinion possibly is warranted.

    HTH....

Cheers,

WOB

Quote:
>There was a discussion the other day as to when these two instructions came
>into being.  One of us insisted that they came into being about the time of
XA
>(late 70's?) and another of us insisted that they were part ot the original
360
>architecture.  Wdll, I found a "yellow card" from 1976 that had them.  Are
they
>370 only instructions?  I believe the first 370 was shipped in 1971.

>Steve Palmer

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM
After I started this thread about the introduction of ICM & STCM, I came to
wondering about when other instructions came into being.  This morning, I was
reading a 1987 Principals of Operations manual trying to find the BSM command
when I discovered that it wasn't there.  I finally found it.  I had thought
that 31 bit addressing was older than 1987, or was I just reading a non-XA
manual?

   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to the
instruction set.
   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
only.
   I assume the next jump was 31-bit addressing.  When was that and what were
the more significant added instructions.
   And I assume that the 390 added some new instructions, but I'm afraid to use
just in case someone decides to run my programs on an older machine.
   Were there any other significant additions to the instruction set?

Comments???

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

+
+   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to
the
+instruction set.
+   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
+assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
+only.

EDMK and TRT were also 370 instructions not in the 360 instruction set.

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

: EDMK and TRT were also 370 instructions not in the 360 instruction set.

Braaaack!!  Wrong answer!!
I hold in my hand a -5 version of the System/360 Reference Data
(GX20-1703-5)  --  aka The Green Card.
EDMK was a 'feature' instruction of the Decimal Feature Instructions.
TRT was a normal ol' Sys/360 instruction.

Jonesy
Mainframe (Assembler) since 1966

Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
Gunnison, Colorado
513 days to go until the Year 2000

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

>After I started this thread about the introduction of ICM & STCM, I came to
>wondering about when other instructions came into being.  This morning, I was
>reading a 1987 Principals of Operations manual trying to find the BSM command
>when I discovered that it wasn't there.  I finally found it.  I had thought
>that 31 bit addressing was older than 1987, or was I just reading a non-XA
>manual?

>   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to the
>instruction set.
>   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
>assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
>only.
>   I assume the next jump was 31-bit addressing.  When was that and what were
>the more significant added instructions.
>   And I assume that the 390 added some new instructions, but I'm afraid to use
>just in case someone decides to run my programs on an older machine.
>   Were there any other significant additions to the instruction set?

>Comments???

Some of the 31-bit instructions had precursors on the 360/67 which was a
32-bit virtual environment. And MVCIN, weirdly. The only operating
system which exploited it was TSS... but TSS needed a more powerful
system and didn't really hit its stride until it was implemented on a
S/168 with lots of fast DASD... TSS only had about 30 customers at peak.

john alvord

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

(snip)
> +   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to
> the
> +instruction set.
> +   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
> +assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
> +only.

> EDMK and TRT were also 370 instructions not in the 360 instruction set.

Not so, they were in the original S/360 instruction set I learned in
1966.

IIRC, CLCL arrived with MVCL, ICM & STCM in the S/370 instruction set.
Is this when "compare logical and swap" and "compare double logical and
swap" also appeared?

Bill {*filter*}

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

>   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to the
>instruction set.
>   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
>assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
>only.

From an old S/370 yellow card (1976, when they still italicized S370 only
instructions):

   ICM, STCM, CLM (byte masked char instructions)
   CS, CDS  (conditional swapping)
   SRP  (shift and round packed)
   STCK (store clock)
   MC   (monitor call)
   MVCL, CLCL  (long char instructions)

and for privileged instructions:

   CLRIO, HDV, IPK, LCTL, LRA, PTLB, RRB, SCK, SCKC, SPT, SPX, SIGP,
   SIOF, SPKA, STIDC, STCTL, STAP, STIDP, STPT, STPX, STNSM, STOSM

Quote:
>   I assume the next jump was 31-bit addressing.  When was that and what were
>the more significant added instructions.

I managed to find an XA principles of operation, dated Mar 1983.  It was
labeled the first edition.

Quote:
>   And I assume that the 390 added some new instructions, but I'm afraid to use
>just in case someone decides to run my programs on an older machine.

Mostly the halfword immediate and relative branch instructions.

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

> > +   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to
> > the
> > +instruction set.
> > +   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
> > +assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
> > +only.

IBM published the first two versions of "IBM System/370 Principles of
Operation", GA22-7000-0 and GA22-7000-1(Dec. 1970), as an addendum to "IBM
System/360 Principles of Operation", GA22-6821-8(Nov. 1970), listing the
updates made to S/360 by S/370. I've taken the following from GA22-7000-1.

The instructions initially added by the S/370 were:
        CLM   Compare Logical Characters Under Mask
        CLCL  Compare Logical Long
        ICM   Insert Characters Under Mask
        LCTL  Load Control
        MC    Monitor Call
        MVCL  Move Long
        SCK   Set Clock
        SRP   Shift and Round Decimal
        SIOF  Start I/O Fast Release
        STIDC Store Channel ID
        STCM  Store Characters Under Mask
    STCK  Store Clock
        STIDP Store CPU ID
        STCTL Store Control

In addition to these instructions, S/370 made the following changes to S/360:
        o Removed the USASCII mode
        o Changed the action taken by several decimal instructions when an invalid
decimal sign was detected from instruction termination to instruction suppression
        o Added the time of day clock
        o Added the monitoring facility
        o Added control registers
        o Added extended external interruption masking
        o Added extended I/O masking
        o Added machine check handling
        o Added block-multiplexing control
        o Added limited and extended channel logout

It's interesting to note that the first S/370 models did not offer dynamic
address translation. This feature made its appearance in GA22-7000-2(July
1972) along with:
        o Channel indirect data addressing feature
        o CPU timer
        o Clock comparator
        o Extended control mode
        o SSM suppression
        o Store status and program reset
        o Program-event recording

Instructions added at this level were:
        SPT   Set CPU Timer
        STPT  Store CPU Timer
        SCKC  Set Clock Comparator
        STCKC Store Clock Comparator
        LRA   Load Real Address
        PTLB  Purge TLB
        RRB   Reset Reference Bit
        STNSM Store Then And System Mask
        STOSM Store Then Or System Mask

Bob Abeles.

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ICM & STCM

Quote:

> >   So the question I have is: When (and what) were there major additions to the
> >instruction set.
> >   We've already determined that ICM & STCM were new to the 370 (1971) and I
> >assume that MVCL was added at that time.  What other major additions were 370
> >only.

> From an old S/370 yellow card (1976, when they still italicized S370 only
> instructions):

>    ICM, STCM, CLM (byte masked char instructions)
>    CS, CDS  (conditional swapping)
>    SRP     (shift and round packed)
>    STCK (store clock)
>    MC   (monitor call)
>    MVCL, CLCL  (long char instructions)

> and for privileged instructions:

>    CLRIO, HDV, IPK, LCTL, LRA, PTLB, RRB, SCK, SCKC, SPT, SPX, SIGP,
>    SIOF, SPKA, STIDC, STCTL, STAP, STIDP, STPT, STPX, STNSM, STOSM

> >   I assume the next jump was 31-bit addressing.  When was that and what were
> >the more significant added instructions.

> I managed to find an XA principles of operation, dated Mar 1983.  It was
> labeled the first edition.

> >   And I assume that the 390 added some new instructions, but I'm afraid to use
> >just in case someone decides to run my programs on an older machine.

> Mostly the halfword immediate and relative branch instructions.

390 added the access register stuff (LAE STAM, LAM, etc.) The
immediate and relative branch stuff is very recent and only works on
CMOS machines.

--
Robert Ngan
CSC Financial Services Group

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 109 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

 Relevant Pages

1. ICM, STCM, CLM - Off-Topic.

2. Use of ICM

3. ICM - Set Condition Code?

4. L/LTR vs ICM

5. ICM vs. L and LTR

6. ICM vs. L and LTR

7. Ever heard of ICM REXX?

8. ABC Templates @#$%^&*&&*&*!!!!!!

9. Cybersex--(*&$%*&(*&^% C programmers

10. Killing yourself with Virtual Storage (was ICM - Set Condition code?)

11. hpux && snapshot && ./configure

12. TCL2C && MS VC++ && TCL8.0.3plus