Touchy, etc.
Author Message
 Touchy, etc.

[aBunchOfStuffSnipped]

Quote:
> 4341's run the public domain (fee-free is probably a better way of
> putting it.) operating systems.  MVT 21.8F, MVS 3.8, VSE, VM/CMS, etc.
> These are still available from IBM's PID.  Get a customer number, no
> charge for that, order the software, no charge, have a great time.

Maybe you can get VSE or VM/SP5, but I doubt very seriously that
ANY pre-SP release of MVS is even runnable, much less available!

Quote:
> The problem is the DASD of that era was touchy and very power hungry.

You may be able to find some 3350-class devices{*filter*} around for
your DASD storage, but it's one of those scenarios where you will
need to buy three strings in order to run one. It has something to
do with spare parts. Oh, by the way - make frequent backups! HDA's
have a tendency to crash for no apparent reason other than pure
aging.

Quote:
> Considering that the 4341 would outhaul a S/370 168, you'd have a
> scary amount of mainframe computing power.

Cory, this is blatently wrong! A 158 was a flat 1-mip processor.
The 168, on the other hand was nearly 6! Eleven if you MP'd it.
The 4341-II was about three mips, while the earliest version was
only 1.5.

The Amdahl V/6 was about 5 mips and intended to be the cost/mip
replacement for the 168. About 1/10'th the floor space and no
water cooling required!

Ciao,
Bill B.

Mon, 14 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Touchy, etc.

Quote:

>Maybe you can get VSE or VM/SP5, but I doubt very seriously that
>ANY pre-SP release of MVS is even runnable, much less available!

I saw a guy order a pre SP MVS from IBM in 1995.  Why wouldn't it run?

Quote:

>Cory, this is blatently wrong! A 158 was a flat 1-mip processor.
>The 168, on the other hand was nearly 6! Eleven if you MP'd it.
>The 4341-II was about three mips, while the earliest version was
>only 1.5.

>The Amdahl V/6 was about 5 mips and intended to be the cost/mip
>replacement for the 168. About 1/10'th the floor space and no
>water cooling required!

>Ciao,
>Bill B.

Granted no one knows what a MIPS is... but even then, I was sure that
the mod 168 was only about 2 MIPS, in fact, 1.6, 1.7 come to mind.  I
think the 3033 was about 3 MIPS, 6 MIPS as the 3033MP and the 3081 was
a 10 MIPS box with two 5 MIPS engines.

But then, I'm easily confused.

Cory Hamasaki

Fri, 18 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Touchy, etc.

2. Touchy, touchy....

3. Touchy/feely

4. Algorithm etc etc

5. Overloading and / or / = / etc etc

6. Demos, PMode, Graphics, Docs, Tutorials, etc, etc

7. Demos, PMode, Graphics, Docs, Tutorials, etc, etc

8. Embedding Python, PyImport_* etc etc...

9. Is there a standard module library function to access /etc/passwd or /etc/group

10. TOUPPER etc on DEC/VAXstation etc

11. Complicated problems with interpreters, forking, etc. etc. etc...