IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS
Author Message
 IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

There was one, but last time I checked it had been purchased by Micro
Focus, and the author enjoined from doing any further development on the
shareware verson.

John Melcher, Jr.

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 11:21:33 GMT
 IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

Quote:
>I am looking for a 370 emulator for educational purposes.  I am
>learning asm on the IBM370 and would like to try some experiments at
>home.  Is there a shareware program that can help me?

There is a shareware program which includes a macro assembler, assembler,
linker and emulator.  I have never tried it personally, but it seemed pretty
robust.  It is PC370V42.ZIP and can be found on Simtel under msdos/emulators.
Any try this?  Well, if you try it out, please let me know what you think.

david
!!========================================================================!!
!!    ||    _____             David M. Onder                        ||    !!
!!  ==||==    |  _      _                         |    _       _  ==||==  !!

!!    ||                                                            ||    !!
!!========================================================================!!

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 21:57:23 GMT
 IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

Quote:

>Subject: Re: IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS
>Date: 20 Jan 1995 13:57:23 GMT
>There is a shareware program which includes a macro assembler, assembler,
>linker and emulator.  I have never tried it personally, but it seemed pretty
>robust.  It is PC370V42.ZIP and can be found on Simtel under msdos/emulators.
>Any try this?  Well, if you try it out, please let me know what you think.
>david

  I've tried it briefly, and it works well.  Its a good way to "Bench Test"
your code, before trying it out on the mainframe.   The Authors README file
that comes zipped up with it says that he sold the rights to it to
MicroFocus, but that he retained the right to distrbute it free for
educational, and non-commercial use.

BTW: I ftp'ed it from the SimTel directory at "oak.oakland.edu"

                                                  Regards, John Donohue

Wed, 09 Jul 1997 14:37:21 GMT
 IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

Quote:

>I am looking for a 370 emulator for educational purposes.  I am
>learning asm on the IBM370 and would like to try some experiments at
>home.  Is there a shareware program that can help me?

Sure. 'PC370V42.ZIP' contains the shareware version of the emulator that was
later resold to Micro Focus and repackaged as their 370 Assembler development
tool. It's available via anonymous FTP from several sources (which I can't
remember at the moment).

Murray Alexander
City of Vancouver

"Do it right, or do it over. Which do you prefer?" - me

Wed, 09 Jul 1997 07:02:28 GMT
 IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

Quote:

> I am looking for a 370 emulator for educational purposes.  I am
> learning asm on the IBM370 and would like to try some experiments at
> home.  Is there a shareware program that can help me?

Others have answered re shareware.  The two commercial products are
MicroFocus and CA-Realia.   You might call them and see if there is
a 'personal' version or educational discount.

Words of warning.

1.  They aren't fast -- on a 33mHz 386, the 1st version of one of
    these products hit a blazing 0.042 MIPS.  Best use is small
    learing programs (you're in like flynn) or -- what it's really
    designed for -- assembler subroutines (small) in a COBOL
    development offload project.

2.  Because of copyright restrictions, they can't distribute the
    true IBM macros.  You have two choices:  A) If you are affiliated
    with a mainframe site you could download SYS1.MACLIB  B) Use the
    supplied macros.  They are pretty good unless you venture into
    odd waters.  The basic macros OPEN, READ, WRITE, CLOSE, etc.
    worked pretty well.

-----Burton

Wed, 09 Jul 1997 22:15:45 GMT

1. IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

2. porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix

3. LMI Forth (was: porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix)

4. Porting an 8088/MS-DOS FORTH to 386 Xenix

5. looking for a PL/I compiler for 386+ in MSDOS or NT-DOS

6. 386 MS-DOS port of SB-Prolog available for ftp

7. Running Alsys Ada 386 for DOS on OS/2

8. Need IBM370 assembler emulator ( PC)

9. SCM for DOS or DOS/386

10. WTB: 386 In Circuit Emulator (ICE)

11. Z80 Emulator for MS-DOS?

12. Lahey EM/32 w OS/386, NDP-386 w Pharlap, Watcom 77/386