1956 IBM Consent Decree
Author Message
 1956 IBM Consent Decree

Quote:

>Information Week reported that the US Justice has petitioned the courts
>to keep in place the 1956 consent decree against IBM because IBM is
>still a monopoly in large systems.

Can you explain some of the effect of the consent decree, please,
i.e. what IBM would be able to do if it expired?  I have some
vague feeling it is this which stops IBM bundling compilers with
their operating systems, but that seems a bit trivial.

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 1956 IBM Consent Decree
Information Week reported that the US Justice has petitioned the courts
to keep in place the 1956 consent decree against IBM because IBM is
still a monopoly in large systems.

I think that's absurb.  It's like finding the only horse stable left in
town and going after them because they're a monopoly in the buggy
business.  While IBM has the main share of mainframes, mainframes are
only one part of data processing.  Mainframes, as we all know quite
well, have plenty of competition.  Further, IBM has direct competition
from many peripheral makers as well as Cray, Groupe Bull, Hitachi, and
Unisys.

Justice also says IBM has a monopoly on midrange.  That's absurb--the
AS/400 has plenty of competition from Tandem, Hewlett Packard, Sun, and
networked PCs.

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 1956 IBM Consent Decree

: >Information Week reported that the US Justice has petitioned the courts
: >to keep in place the 1956 consent decree against IBM because IBM is
: >still a monopoly in large systems.
: Can you explain some of the effect of the consent decree, please,
: i.e. what IBM would be able to do if it expired?  I have some
: vague feeling it is this which stops IBM bundling compilers with
: their operating systems, but that seems a bit trivial.
Well, for one thing, they could once again manufacture Hollerith Cards!
(: ROTFL :)
--

Codin' in ASM/3x0 since 1967
Gunnison, Colorado

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. consent sought lnmq

2. Fortran 1 "Programmer's Reference Manual" published 15 Oct 1956

3. DALLAS Application Developer - IBM Visual Age/SmallTalk, Informix, Perl and IBM AIX

4. Looking for IBM VisualAge Java/IBM VisualAge Smalltalk teachers

5. ISE/IBM Announcement for ISE Eiffel on IBM Mainframe

6. IBM Mainframe to IBM Unix Cobol conversion?

7. Your own IBM AS400 9406-300 with IBM 4234 Printer Cheap

8. Withdrawal notice of IBM Ada products Withdrawal notice and transfer of IBM Ada products

9. IBM Professional/Microsoft/Ryan-MacFarland FORTRAN for IBM/PC

10. APL glyphs, Yterm's emulation and IBM's APL2 . IBM's TryAPL2

11. reposted from ibm-main Re: any problem using QSAM locate mode with IBM Hardware Compression?

12. comp.sys.ibm.pc, alt.msdos.programmer, comp.os.msdos.programmer, comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, news.announce.newgroups, news.groups