External Writer
Author Message
 External Writer

I know how to use the Internal Reader. But what the hell is en "External
Writer"?

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 External Writer
An "external writer" is a program that serves as an intermediary between a
JESx SPOOL and a real output device.  The typical "real output" device is a
tape drive, or something similar.

Programs like PSF use an external writer like interface to JESx, but they
have a much more sophsticated interface than is provided by an external
writer.  Unfortunately, in IBM's mad mania for secrecy, this interface is
mostly OCO.

Programs like RMDS (Report Masnagement and Distribution System) make extensive use of the external writer interface.

Quote:
>I know how to use the Internal Reader. But what the hell is en "External
>Writer"?

-- Steve Myers

The E-mail addresses in this message are private property.  Any use of them
to  send  unsolicited  E-mail  messages  of  a  commerical  nature  will be
considered trespassing,  and the originator of the message will be  sued in
small claims court in Camden County,  New Jersey,  for the  maximum penalty
allowed by law.

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 External Writer
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:20:57 +0100, "Emile G."

Quote:

>I know how to use the Internal Reader. But what the hell is en "External
>Writer"?

JES2 printers are processes implemented in to the JES2 address space.
Each of those processes can transfer SYSOUT data to an output device
that must be a genuine printer or a card punch :-)

If you want to transfer SYSOUT data to another kind of output device,
i.e. for instance a DASD, a tape (or cartridge) unit, or a microfiche
writer, you must use an external writer instead of a standard JES2
printer.

An external writer consists actually of an additional address space.

See Appendix C in "OS/390 (V2R4) JES2 Initialization and Tuning Guide"
(SC28-1791-03).

Regards,

Michel Castelein
Michel Castelein
OS/390 System Engineer & Education Consultant

Home page http://homepages.infoseek.com/~michelcastelein/
Company: JEEVES Consulting N.V., phone +32-2-251.66.50

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 External Writer
External Writer is almost a thing of the past...
SAPI is the future.
Just learn it : http://www.share.org/mvs.html

------

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HURRY - CW4 external Report Writer (TXR) and 2 detail on 1 report

2. Using External Dll's in Report Writer

3. External link errors when using external Catalyst SocketTools Library Edition 2.15 dll

4. Can I run Report Writer with external name files?

5. Can C++ compiler writers get aid from Ada compiler writers with respect to seperately compiling generics/templates?

6. *writers/seeking/publication

7. writers=seeking=publication

8. Report Writer for Smalltalk

9. All===Writers!!!!....